There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

drugmirko is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Opel Mokka

...fifth PSA based Opel model and after Corsa, second on newest CMP platform, which means there will be petrol, diesel and full electric version of it...

source: motor.es

and this one, in its general shape, obviously won't be "as near" to 2008 as Corsa is to 208... this one will be closer to DS 3CB shape and form. does it mean that it will be significantly smaller than old Mokka?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM

RoddyD is on a distinguished road

I've asked before and no-one answered. I am genuinely interested in an answer from any of you who are far more qualified to speak.

I come to this site to see "what's coming" and I love it. But what I don't KNOW is HOW those posting on this site KNOW what sort of car it is we're looking at?

How could ANYONE deduce from these photos that THIS IS a 2021 Opel Mokka? I jus't don't understand how ANYONE would/could know.

And it's the same with so many MANY photos posted on the site. I couldn't deduce what car I am looking at past the disguise and wrap etc, yet there are those here who just say, as this one does, THE 2021 Opel Mokka.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddyD View Post
I'
How could ANYONE deduce from these photos that THIS IS a 2021 Opel Mokka? I jus't don't understand how ANYONE would/could know..
Well, first of all, this was probably snapped because Opel kind of leaked where they are testing (the pics are very sharp, looks nearly like a drive by for the photographer); Often, manufacturers let their cars be happily "spied" for free PR, if they don't want, you won't see hardly any prototypes (e.g. FCA or Toyota, Honda). Otherwise, usually these are testing in convoys, so you can guess form the rest of cars the brand;

Of course, the "GG" number plate (Where Opel is situated, thus all of their press cars and prototypes have "GG" number plates) is another hint, as are the Peugeot 2008 proportions, which this car will share most of it#s structure with; furthermore, upfront there is the new Opel face as previewed by their latest concepts (and the Grandland x/Astra/Insignia like rear lights);

Then we also officially know that a Mokka is due soon, so we can expect ready prototypes now. (in some countries, you can also check to what company the number plate is registered to, even if I think Germany is none of them)

SO whilst sometimes you do indeed not know immediately what you are looking at (especially with say Chinese brands having their cars developed abroad by companies like Manga or Ricardo), here we can say with confidence that this is the next generation Mokka X.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:17 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddyD View Post
I've asked before and no-one answered. I am genuinely interested in an answer from any of you who are far more qualified to speak.

I come to this site to see "what's coming" and I love it. But what I don't KNOW is HOW those posting on this site KNOW what sort of car it is we're looking at?

How could ANYONE deduce from these photos that THIS IS a 2021 Opel Mokka? I jus't don't understand how ANYONE would/could know.

And it's the same with so many MANY photos posted on the site. I couldn't deduce what car I am looking at past the disguise and wrap etc, yet there are those here who just say, as this one does, THE 2021 Opel Mokka.
It's generally not the people posting here on this forum that determine what the vehicle is. Most of the time, we're posting pictures and links to stories on other sites that have already done that part of the process and figured out what the vehicle is (and sometime's they're wrong). As noted above, it's often a combination of location/proximity to specific manufacturing facilities/testing grounds, license plates, or specific details of the camo, etc. that tip folks off.

Last edited by pjl35; 03-09-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

well… to all that, what mick and pj said, I would just add that main info of what is on the spyshots comes form professional spyshooters that "hunt" and "target" specific vehicles in development and generally know what they took photo of. they are kind of "car paparazzi" that have rather reliable info of what is driving around on testgrounds...
but, if they are lucky enough to catch camouflaged vehicle of a brand that they didn't expect to find testing at the time of the shooting, than "tel-tel sighns" described in two posts above are used to determine what most likely was they managed to catch… numberplates, "body featrues", camouflage patterns… sometimes even the number of wheel bolts is used to determine what model could be in question...
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

here you can se why the car on spyshots definitely IS Opel... and most likely Mokka replacement... because it is due and because PSA is in hurry to replace GM based models with new, made on their platforms, so they don't have to pay fees to GM for using their platforms and mechanics...

Opel's smal SUV concept with main styling features we can find on the camouflaged vehicle:

...like lights, front of the hood, side windows line on the roof side…

and here you can se a comparision with its "close PSA relative" DS 3 CB, that it will share platform with:

as you can see, there's more than enough sighns to be sure this definitely is next Opel B segment SUV and what are its "origins"... in styling and mechanics ;)

Last edited by drugmirko; 03-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 PM
CSS Oldtimer

and here's new batch of spyshots:

source: autoweek.nl & worldscoop.fr
Old 03-10-2020, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

That might become the most analyzed prototype ever ;)

The GTX Experimental was indeed the one I meant for teh new front end, but looking at it, it will be more or less a productionized version of the concept (so less sexy proportions, but most details still there). Interesting, how similar the 2008, this and the S3 Crossback seem in terms of shape, yet somehow PSA manages to give the end result way more differentiation than current Volkswagen....
Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 PM
CSS Veteran

Nath is on a distinguished road

Hopefully this is the one where we see a but of character.
Recent Opel/Vauxhall's all appear to have been phoned in. Though if course there was the need for new product on short development times so can understand it's necessary
Old 03-11-2020, 08:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
Hopefully this is the one where we see a but of character.
Recent Opel/Vauxhall's all appear to have been phoned in. Though if course there was the need for new product on short development times so can understand it's necessary
I guess it is also a bit of strategy in the PSA conglomerate, given that PEugeot is a bit bold, Citroen is quirky, and well, Opel is the more conservative and say "rental car freindly" option ;)

But I agree, this Mokka is probably the first Opel developed truly after the whole take over ups and downs, so might end up as a car that finally adds some desperately needed character.
Closed Thread