Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2007, 05:50 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default VW news: No Scirocco for the U.S., Jetta TDI delayed, diesel-powered Phaeton still a possibility

Spy photographers have spotted a number of Volkswagen Scirocco prototypes  some even in the southwest United States  but a new report finds that the Scirocco will not be sold on this side of the pond. The Scirocco is slated to go on sale in Europe in mid-2008.

Scirocco

Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO of Volkswagen of America, broke the news in an interview with Car and Driver earlier this month. Jacoby stated that the automaker didn't want to cannibalize U.S. sales of the GTI and R32 with the Scirocco. The [2009 Scirocco] is lovely, but we cant have everything, he said.

VW of America executives have long stated their opposition to bringing the Scirocco to America. Despite this, a spokesman from VW in Germany said back in May the final decision would be made at VW's main headquarters by CEO Martin Winterkorn. It's not known if the Germans have made their final decision on this or if Mr. Jacoby is simply repeating VW of America's opinion.

Jetta TDI

Jacoby also confirmed that the launch of the 2009 Jetta TDI has been delayed, likely until late summer 2008. The delay is due to problems with the emissions system. We have a solution and are working on it, Jacoby said. Despite the delay, VW is already conducting dealer training for the new vehicle.

Jacoby emphasized how important the new 50-state legal Jetta is to the TDI brand and that VW must be sure it has all of the bugs out before going to launch. We need to launch with proper emissions and quality, he said.

Diesel-powered Phaeton

VW's CEO also revealed that the current Phaeton  which went on sale in Europe in 2002 but was pulled from the U.S. market in late 2005  could make a return to the U.S. Earlier reports indicated the Phaeton could return to the U.S., but not until the next-generation car bowed.

However, if VW does bring the Phaeton back, it would be in diesel-only form. There is no reason to relaunch with the same as what we had before, Jacoby said of past versions of the Phaeton. We need something to stand out from the old one. It needs a unique selling point. What else do we have but diesel? Jacoby failed to give a time frame for a Phaeton return.

source: leftlanenews

I feel VW is even dumber in the US than anywhere else As for the Scirocco cannibalising sales of the GTi or R32: wtf? Just badge the Scirocco as the GTi and who really cares about the R32? It is such a low volume car anyways...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW news: No Scirocco for the U.S., Jetta TDI delayed, diesel-powered Phaeton still a possibility

Quote, originally posted by CosworthKid »
...I feel VW is even dumber in the US than anywhere else As for the Scirocco cannibalising sales of the GTi or R32: wtf? Just badge the Scirocco as the GTi and who really cares about the R32? It is such a low volume car anyways...

I see it.
You see it.
The dealers see it.
We all see it.
VW can't see it because they are myopic and have Piech mucking around in their business.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW news: No Scirocco for the U.S., Jetta TDI delayed, diesel-powered Phaeton still a possibility

I guess they expect to overtake Toyota's number one position globally just by having iTunes and Cover Flow in their interface
I did read the Tiguan will be priced from $22.000 in the US though...according to hollywoodextra (i think) it will be just $1000 more expensive than the CR-V, while initially everyone was expecting the Tiguan to cost from $24.000

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-22-2007, 02:56 PM

nismo is on a distinguished road

I did read the Tiguan will be priced from $22.000 in the US though...according to hollywoodextra (i think) it will be just $1000 more expensive than the CR-V, while initially everyone was expecting the Tiguan to cost from $24.000

Yeah that much they did right. I was surprised they priced it so close to the competition and it looks better and is faster than the CRV.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

A next-generation GTI and R32 could soon arrive, and they may even by upsized where they could be sized close to the Scirocco, and they would likely fight for sales, particularly in USDM, my take... even though I did want to see the Scirocco arrive stateside. I have read that when the next-generation GTI and R32 arrive, the (more base) Rabbit will no longer be offered, instead, the mainstream/volume vehicle will be the Jetta, particularly in it's successor.

With the next Phaeton, which I hope does arrive, perhaps it'll be more expressive, maybe even adopt trendy CLS-like themes, and even if it is just available in a Diesel, that could add to it's uniqueness. The Diesel's likey to be very quiet and refined and have impressive numbers, especially torque, you'll probably not even realize the overall difference in experience with a gasoline vehicle, except for which pump you have to pull up to or any minor maintenance differences.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

...I did read the Tiguan will be priced from $22.000 in the US though...according to hollywoodextra (i think) it will be just $1000 more expensive than the CR-V, while initially everyone was expecting the Tiguan to cost from $24.000

First of all, VW is notorious for creating a base price car that does not exist. The ultra-cheap Rabbit base price was a dealer-lot pipe dream with most Rabbits on the lots stickered 3k+ over base. VW should have priced it the same as the CR-V given that the base price vehicles are impossible to obtain. I predict most Tiguans will bump 30K easily.

As for considering the Phaeton for NA ever again...VW give up! The talk of repositioned, NA specific Jetta and Passat replacements is the key to success as would be an Avalon/Azera/Maxima fighter. The Phaeton vis a vis NA was always an answer to a question no one in his right mind would ask.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road

VW will have HUGE problems in the US market for a few years.

They are a brand that does well in good times but badly in a recession as people turn towards Honda/Toyota.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Roadster44 is on a distinguished road

I think used car sales will pick up, otherwise people will keep on trying to get the best product for money. So obviously if VW will price their products competitively within each sector then they should be ok. They have no other choice.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm hoping that the Chrywagen is correctly priced, compellingly styled, and not named with a dumb name so that VW gets some traffic at their dealers. It would be nice for the revolution that is so needed at VW to begin with a mainstream car and for the acceptance of the mainstream car to drive home to the talking heads in Germany that VW should represent a tremendous value all while being competitive in the mainstream. This and the repositioned Jetta and Passat possibilities along with the UP architecture could put VW on a roll. Also reconciling NA, Mexico, and China product offerings would create some economies of scale.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 AM

MtViewGuy188 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MtViewGuy188
Default Re: (mzoltarp)

I think VW was smart NOT to bring the new Scirocco to the USA--why introduce another model that would not be much different than the current GTI hatchback (and less practical to start with?). VW could easily offer suspension upgrades so the GTI handles pretty much the same as the new Scirocco.

I do think the next-generation Polo may make it to the USA, mostly because VW's Puebla, Mexico plant will likely assemble the car.