Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM
CSS Veteran

Top Secret is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car Company Mergers (mzoltarp)

Please explain why it makes perfect sense.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:05 AM
CSS Veteran

pcread is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car Company Mergers (DVieira)

Quote, originally posted by DVieira »
Me speculating on your speculation:

No. Compared with, say, MG/Rover, Fiat is the picture of good health. They can go on for years and years, have a strong name in many markets, and brands they can sell out before they die.

According to the German WirtschaftsWoche, SAIC are planning to buy a stake in FIAT. Don't forget, FIAT is much much bigger than MGR, which is almost a niche player these days.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 AM

KebabGud is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
A Honda BMW merger makes perfect sense from both an engineering and a marketing perspective.

why?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car Company Mergers (KebabGud)

why not?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Santeno is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
My predictions:
Fiat will die.
Hyundai eats up Mitsubishi.
Toyota takes GM
VW merges with Ford
BMW and Honda become cordial

Here is what I tink of your predictions:

Fiat will eventually be broken up and sold for it's components (which are probably worth more individually than as a whole). You will see the fiat, Maserati and Alfa brands survive, but Lancia will most likely die.

Hyundai won't be eating anyone, but will omst likely continue it's current expansionary policy (mitsubishi's problems just run too deep for anyone to take a chance with them).

Toyota will remain independent and continue it's own expansionary policy. as it does now, though, you will likely see an increase of joint ventures with other automakers at every level of the manufacturiong process.

VW merges with Ford. I'm not sure about this one. VW is structured to make it extremely painful for anyone who tries to buy it. I do see VW shedding some brands or non-automotive businesses at some point though. IMO you are more likely to see VW merging (not being acquired) with another european automaker.

BMW and Honda become cordial: not sure what you mean by this, but both companies have entrenched corporate cultures, are fiercely independent, are very profitable and have expanding product lines. I don't see either of them altering their current structure.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car Company Mergers (Santeno)

A little story on Fiat, from Edmunds' Insideline:

After Rover, Is Shanghai Automotive Looking for Fiat Deal?
Date Posted 03-18-2005

SHANGHAI, China  A report in the German business magazine Wirtschaftswoche says Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) has been holding discussions with Fiat about possible investment in the struggling Italian company.

However, a Fiat executive denied a deal was in the pipeline. "There's absolutely nothing real," said Franco Amadei, head of Fiat's operations in China. "Fiat is not at the moment looking for this kind of partnership."

Fiat and SAIC did strike a collaboration deal in December with Fiat unit Iveco to make heavy-duty trucks in Nanjing. And there are considerable synergies with existing alliances. Fiat's carmaking partner in China is Nanjing Automotive, which will become the third partner in the SAIC-Rover deal. Fiat now shares its diesel engine technology with GM, SAIC's main China partner. Indeed, Nanjing Fiat will source some engines from SAIC-GM.

SAIC has already acquired a controlling stake in Korea's SsangYong, and is expected to complete its joint venture agreement with MG Rover next month. But a deal with Fiat, now free of the alliance with General Motors, would be a much more ambitious move for China's number-one carmaker  though it would give SAIC valuable access to small-car technology and a large European production base.

What this means to you: There's a lot of logic behind a SAIC-Fiat alliance, but surely SAIC needs to digest Rover first before it takes on such a massive project.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

Both Honda and BMW need to get larger and have a more diverse product range globally if they are to be in business 20 years from now. Honda and BMW are wizards when it comes to engineering of powerplants. With the exception of Acura overlapping with the lower end of BMW, their products go together well. A number years ago BMW was in serious discussions about merging with another larger company because it was nervous after taking a huge loss on "the English patient" aka Rover. As for Ford and VW it could be a case of two sick patients hoping to marry and get well. What I find most hilarious about this thread is the VENOM with with people respond. This is pure speculation and what ifs. But oh well cest la vie.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 AM

i really cant see a merging between the RWD Posterchild BMW and the FWD posterchild Honda..
the only thing they have i commen is that they do not have large turbopowerd engine.. (only smal ones) that the ONLY thing they share...
if BMW is to join forces with somone its PSA..
Old 03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
CSS Veteran

Tidal is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by Santeno »

Fiat will eventually be broken up and sold for it's components (which are probably worth more individually than as a whole). You will see the fiat, Maserati and Alfa brands survive, but Lancia will most likely die.

Or, Hyundai could scrap their idea of creating a luxury brand, buy Lancia ( thus getting all the wonderfull designers from the Lancia Centro Stile ) and return it to it's former glory, while getting their own design headed in the right direction

Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM

good idea
Hyundai can also bring lancia back to there old glory in rally...