Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 06:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Must be a Toyota. They are the best duct tape users. Wonder why they stopped using cardboard as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I wonder if this car makes sense nowadays. In the past, when hybrid was a novelty, for sure it did make sense to have a very specific body. But today almost every brand has an hybrid integrated into their regular ranges. Even Toyota does it on the Yaris and the Auris.

My point is: an hybrid drivetrain isn't something special anymore, so i wonder why does it need a special body or a dedicated product line. Unless the next gen has something truly unique on the drivetrain front, which i highly doubt.

Last edited by Reppu; 05-20-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Agreed. Although the powertrain itself isn't novel anymore, the Prius and vehicles with this general shape manage to get the best MPG figures. I'm sure Toyota's aiming to get even better numbers with the next gen, as usual, hence the reliance on this same bodystyle.
Got it.

There are 'other ways' that Toyota could do this....better batteries...lighter materials...more efficient engines (likely the backbone of the current Mazda / Toyota love affair)....and if they REALLY wanted to do it, a diesel hybrid.

I'm curious to see the next gen Prius...I'm not optimistic it'll be the quantum leap it needs to be to catch up to where they 'should' be as the halo car for 'green'.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I wonder if this car makes sense nowadays. In the past, when hybrid was a novelty, for sure it did make sense to have a very specific body. But today almost every brand has an hybrid integrated into their regular ranges. Even Toyota does it on the Yaris and the Auris.

My point is: an hybrid drivetrain isn't something special anymore, so i wonder why does it need a special body or a dedicated product line. Unless the next gen has something truly unique on the drivetrain front, which i highly doubt.
The body's for 'true' hybrids are designed that way for fuel efficiency....something about that 'hatch' tail makes it more areodynamic / efficient to cut through the wind...that's why the Prius, Insight (when it was alive) and Volt share that 'look'.

What's interesting to me about your POV / point is that in Canada, the #1 selling Hybrid is the Camry. I'm also pretty partial to the Optima Hybrid and I REALLY like the look of the new Malibu Hybrid....so I'm aligned w/ the notion of putting hybrid tech in normal cars.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
The body's for 'true' hybrids are designed that way for fuel efficiency....something about that 'hatch' tail makes it more areodynamic / efficient to cut through the wind...that's why the Prius, Insight (when it was alive) and Volt share that 'look'.
Agreed. Although the powertrain itself isn't novel anymore, the Prius and vehicles with this general shape manage to get the best MPG figures. I'm sure Toyota's aiming to get even better numbers with the next gen, as usual, hence the reliance on this same bodystyle.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post

Remember - Toyota was going to make a whole "family" of the Prius line. The already have the compact and the extended version in addition to the standard model. I believe they wanted to make this a separate line from Toyota.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:37 PM

the rear looks a little bloated
Old 05-31-2015, 02:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Very interesting. I wonder how much of that upswept beltline is real and how much is just the camo.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:39 PM

This might be how it looks......
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ota-prius.html
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Raconteur

Give the Toyota Miseri FCV's bizarro styling, I'm sure that's quite accurate for the new Priusite.