Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2020 Mercedes GLB

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/202...meet-glas.html

The long rumored, boxier and larger sister car to the GLA (based of the same platform), gioving Mercedes finally a proper X1/Q3 competitor (The GLA is just slightly too much of a raised hatchback size wise for that mission).

Interestingly, it looks like a more modern version of the GLK, that was replaced by the much more conventional and car like GLC, probably also giving an alternative to those who were missing the boxy ute in the Mercedes line up. Underneath of course it you usual FWD/AWD optional A-Class running gear, likely sharing most of teh engine line up and, by what little we can see form the interior, most of the dashboard with the A-Class/GLA as well.

Funny considering just how large the whole A-Class platform has grown since the first, tiny 3.5m long "I don't like elks" first generation appeared 20 years ago....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Looks like a less capable, less practical, less reliable yet more expensive Subaru Forester.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Looks like a less capable, less practical, less reliable yet more expensive Subaru Forester.
MBs typically exchange for far less than the MSRP.... which is not the case w/ Subaru. The latest Impreza has done horribly in Consumer Reports reilability surveys. And even the base GLB should provide something approaching modern-standards of acceleration. YMMV.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/ne...st-photos-yet/

Caught at the same (I guess, from the matte orange paint, crash testing facility) site as teh A-Class before;

I don't know, it#s looking rather boring, neitehr as boxy/different as the GLK did (let alone a "Mini G"), nor is it as fluid and elegant as the GLC; To me, the first thought was previous gen VW Tiguan. And that'snot a car remembered for it's looks....
Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Administrator

So apart from its odd looks, where is this slotting into the lineup? Between the GLA and GLC? Is there room for a new suv there?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:36 PM
CSS Veteran

I thought that the GLK, while distinctive, was also distinctively ugly. I assume some of the blandness of this design is b/c of aerodynamic considerations? I like the relatively upright windshield and thin A-pillars. D-pillar is quite large, but perhaps, as mentioned in the article, this is an extended length 3-row version.

What is the wagon next to it???
Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Doubt MB would release a A class wagon, seems to small for C class wagon, could be the new B class?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:24 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Doubt MB would release a A class wagon, seems to small for C class wagon, could be the new B class?
All of that is exactly what I was thinking....
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
So apart from its odd looks, where is this slotting into the lineup? Between the GLA and GLC? Is there room for a new suv there?
Exactly; The GLA - a sit appears - will be even less distinct form the A Class than before (now basically a jacked up standard A-Class, before it had a bespoke - even if similar looking - body), and will be slotted against a BMW X2 or Audi Q2. This will go against the X1 and Q3. After all there are 2 rules: No niche is small enough not to squeeze in another cross over, and every German premium manufacturer has to offer more or less direct answer to every niche filled by an opponent ;)

That said, I think this will sell well, after all the GLA is definitely too small for any family duties, this will be a posh upgrade for TIguan or Ford Kuga buyers, and like the X1, as such result sell very well (at least in Europe)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IMO this type of styling is why the GLK was replaced with the less boxy/cutesy GLC styling. Not sure why they want to go down that road again.