There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
CSS 2006 Ford Fusion nut

Mr. Fusion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK View Post
It's only the XF S that comes with the 20-inch alloy wheels and lip spoiler.

The regular 240bhp XF 3.0D comes without ;)
Thanks lol :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
someones gotta ask....any news/thoughts of it coming to the US?
Yeah, it'll come when hell freezes over....but on a serious note, I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
CSS Veteran

Blackraven is on a distinguished road

HOLY **** ALL-NEW ENGINE

In any case
For comparison, our family has a Toyota Land Cruiser 90 series vehicle with a 1KZ-TE engine with intercooler turbo (which is also a 3.0 L diesel engine just like this new engine from Jaguar). Anyhow, this engine is old (first produced around 1997 and during that time, the word "common rail" has not even existed).........however, to us, this engine allowed our LC 90 to really travel fast.

It can reach up to 160 KM/H per hour with not much problem with all four of us on-board (heck, if there was time then it might have been able to reach 180 KM/H if we had more straight roads here). Again, our definition of what is "fast" may vary or that our standards of what is "fast" are different..........but for us, we were amazed at the speed of our old LC 90 and it is still kicking.

For comparison, we have an Isuzu Crosswind (one of them cheap**** AUVs here in the 3rd World) and it has a 2.5 liter diesel engine.........but produces only 88 Horsepower WTFH mated to probably THE WORST automatic transmission in the world. In short, it takes time to even break past 100 KM/H and it really struggles at 120 KM/H. Heck, you'd be lucky if you can even get it to 140 KM/H........but yeah.

In all seriousness though, if ever I were to buy this car with that new 3.0 L AJ-V6D diesel engine, then boy I couldn't imagine the performance difference between it and the 1KZ-TE in our LC 90. I mean, our LC 90 is already fast enough for our family........yet this Jag diesel engine goes beyond that in ALL ASPECTS (considering that they are both 3.0 Liter engines). Wow

---
With that said, I now have two favorite variants of the Jaguar XF that I'm in love with (as of this moment):
-the new 3.0 Liter Diesel S variant
-the upcoming XF R variant with the rumored 5.0 liter supercharged Petrol/Gasoline engine

Exciting stuff indeed

:)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 AM

taskbearer is on a distinguished road

Blackraven that Isuzu's transmission is working in concert with the ultra drag aerodynamics to give super slow speed. and by the way 88hp is just too little for a big vehicle like that and going that fast in a smaller car with only 88hp would be just as difficult.

Now back to topic.

I have expected this upgrade from ford since day 1 as the cylinder wall thickness of the original 2.7Diesel was about twice that of the competition. Its not too difficult to bore out the engine to 3.0L while retaining the strength. The shocking part was 275hp from 3.0L. 240 is more believable, until closer inspection revealed that there is some real difference between the XF diesel and the XF diesel S. Jaguar's use of "parallel sequential turbo" adds another realm of complexity to the understanding of diesel turbos. While the 240 uses a regular twinturbo setup carried over from the 2.7L, the Diesel S used one big VTG turbo which runs constantly and a small regular turbo which comes in @ 2800rpms. Looks like Jaguar's system is a reverse of BMW's 286hp/ 428lbft of torque sequential turbo in 535d, BMW is using the small turbo for low rpm and switching to the big turbo for higher rpms. so for comparison BMW has the advantage in power, but trails Jaguar's 442lbft torque.

This is great news fo Jaguar as they now have a class leading engine to compliment the class leading styling. I'll say this is the most convincing package in the segment. It also renders the 300hp/ 302lbft torque 4.2L V8 redundant.

One suggestion though, since Jaguar has a lack of good petrol engines, why not base them of off this diesel. It also has all the technologies used in modern petrols from Audi and BMW and its not much heavier either. For example this new 3.0 L AJ-V6D diesel is only approximately 20lbs and 26lbs heavier than recent 6 cylinder forced induced engines from Audi and BMW respectively. and because it is a CGI (Compacted Graphite Iron) block, it can withstand more pressure than the aluminum blocks of the others. I envision a 3.0L parallel sequential turbo V6 petrol engine with outputs between 360hp and 450hp. this way they can add modern petrols with little extra cost and kill the outdated V8s from their line-up and would not need any help from Daimler-Benz.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskbearer View Post
Blackraven that Isuzu's transmission is working in concert with the ultra drag aerodynamics to give super slow speed. and by the way 88hp is just too little for a big vehicle like that and going that fast in a smaller car with only 88hp would be just as difficult.

Now back to topic.

I have expected this upgrade from ford since day 1 as the cylinder wall thickness of the original 2.7Diesel was about twice that of the competition. Its not too difficult to bore out the engine to 3.0L while retaining the strength. The shocking part was 275hp from 3.0L. 240 is more believable, until closer inspection revealed that there is some real difference between the XF diesel and the XF diesel S. Jaguar's use of "parallel sequential turbo" adds another realm of complexity to the understanding of diesel turbos. While the 240 uses a regular twinturbo setup carried over from the 2.7L, the Diesel S used one big VTG turbo which runs constantly and a small regular turbo which comes in @ 2800rpms. Looks like Jaguar's system is a reverse of BMW's 286hp/ 428lbft of torque sequential turbo in 535d, BMW is using the small turbo for low rpm and switching to the big turbo for higher rpms. so for comparison BMW has the advantage in power, but trails Jaguar's 442lbft torque.

This is great news fo Jaguar as they now have a class leading engine to compliment the class leading styling. I'll say this is the most convincing package in the segment. It also renders the 300hp/ 302lbft torque 4.2L V8 redundant.

One suggestion though, since Jaguar has a lack of good petrol engines, why not base them of off this diesel. It also has all the technologies used in modern petrols from Audi and BMW and its not much heavier either. For example this new 3.0 L AJ-V6D diesel is only approximately 20lbs and 26lbs heavier than recent 6 cylinder forced induced engines from Audi and BMW respectively. and because it is a CGI (Compacted Graphite Iron) block, it can withstand more pressure than the aluminum blocks of the others. I envision a 3.0L parallel sequential turbo V6 petrol engine with outputs between 360hp and 450hp. this way they can add modern petrols with little extra cost and kill the outdated V8s from their line-up and would not need any help from Daimler-Benz.
Wow you sure know a lot of technical stuff (you must be an automotive engineer then hehe :) )

In any case, it would be interesting as to how they'll develop their Petrol/Gasoline engines (now that they're not a member of the Ford PAG).........but if they could still pursue with their all-new 5.0 Liter Supercharged engine (for the upcoming XF R), then I guess that Tata still has R&D money for engine product innovation.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Wow you sure know a lot of technical stuff (you must be an automotive engineer then hehe :) )

In any case, it would be interesting as to how they'll develop their Petrol/Gasoline engines (now that they're not a member of the Ford PAG).........but if they could still pursue with their all-new 5.0 Liter Supercharged engine (for the upcoming XF R), then I guess that Tata still has R&D money for engine product innovation.
Keeping the relationship with Ford would be a win/win because Lincoln will need premium engines too.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Comrade is on a distinguished road

I think the setup in the BMW 3.0 shuts the small turbo off after the big one kicks in. No? Whereas, the Jaguar engine has both running at high RPM's resulting in higher max torque.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 AM

taskbearer is on a distinguished road

Yep thats right.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
CSS Veteran

ROBonCARS is on a distinguished road

Facelifted XF spied. Looks like its getting new front light like the XJ.

Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/254505/

If it's old and French or anything BLARG I'm on it.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM
CSS Veteran

Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

any context...?