There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM
CSS Veteran

Blackraven is on a distinguished road
Default Why do some cars DO NOT have Front Fog Lamps

Anyone know the reason?

If EU requires rear fog lights, then why not do the same for the front? I figured you need more importance in the front since that would the area that will light the way when facing against a foggy atmosphere........

Btw:
Here's an example of one.

Here the BMW 5 series (F10)

Here's one with the M-sport package (i.e. cosmetic)

and the M5 (F10)

Some say the M5 didn't have front fogs because of weight reduction......

Is the trade-off of sacrificing safety (during foggy conditions) with lower vehicle weight worth it? Yes or no?

Last edited by Blackraven; 10-26-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Many cars have them integrated in higher spec lights, usually with BI-Xenons the usual high beam is used for fog lamps, unless the deisgner waants them down. Look closely, the headlight of the M5 looks different inside, IMO that is regular XENON vs. Bi-Xenon...

It's the same story with LED lights and stuff in AUdis....

Weight reduction? Yeah, right!! Marketing bla bla ;) But full spec interior and everything ;-)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Rob is on a distinguished road

Neither of my cars have front fogs but I can't remember a time when I've ever needed them, I guess it depends where you live.

On the subject of rear fogs being complusory, that means that you can be seen from the rear as well as the front.

And don't get me started on LEDs...
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Although I live in an area where fog is common especially around this time of the year and my car has fog lights, hoenstly I hardly use them. The gain in visibility is more or less zero, but sometimes the strongly illuminated first meters infront of the car distract you even form the more important area in front of that. Especially bad with thsoe fog light ontegrated in the main head light lcuster, aas they are then too high and mostly illuminate the fog wall right in front of you...

The red rear fog light is a different story, especially on motor ways I wouldn't want to miss them, without that cars can get nearly invisible....
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
CSS Veteran

Nath is on a distinguished road

I think it's because you need to be able to see the car infront but if your own forward visibility is poor then you slow down.
What annoys me is people who don't know when to use them! Rain is not fog etc etc... Is a pain following someone when their foglights are blinding you off the reflections in the road etc
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I think it's because you need to be able to see the car infront but if your own forward visibility is poor then you slow down.
What annoys me is people who don't know when to use them! Rain is not fog etc etc... Is a pain following someone when their foglights are blinding you off the reflections in the road etc
Aboslutely. I think it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to combine it with eitehr some sound every 15 miuntes, or an automatic off switch after say an hour or so, again combined with a reminder.

Or, if we are very brutal, limited power when rear fog light is on (after all speeding in fog is not that clever), so latest when people accerlate again, they notice that the unnecessary light is still on and switch it off...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
CSS Veteran

Blackraven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Many cars have them integrated in higher spec lights, usually with BI-Xenons the usual high beam is used for fog lamps, unless the deisgner waants them down. Look closely, the headlight of the M5 looks different inside, IMO that is regular XENON vs. Bi-Xenon...

It's the same story with LED lights and stuff in AUdis....

Weight reduction? Yeah, right!! Marketing bla bla ;) But full spec interior and everything ;-)
The M-sport and the actual M5 have different headlamp design and structure?

Hmm........I dunno. Looks the same to me.

Btw
You mentioned something about higher spec having Bi-xenons (i.e. HID xenon for low beam and high beam). The problem is though: I've read that it is NOT ADVISABLE to use high beam in fog or snow or rain.......because it causes the blue light to scatter on the fog/snow/rain particles causing a glare.

And it's worse because human vision cannot react as fast to blue light wavelengths.

Probably to put a point

Or so I've read from the discussion here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ghts-cars.html

So when driving in fog:
Am I safer in the M-sport or in the M5? (i.e. based on the condition of the presence OR absence of front fog lamps)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

You should ever use high beams in snow or fog, no matter if it's Xenon, LED or regular Haligen lights. YOu would end up seeing less. WHich is hardly clever...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
CSS Veteran

Nath is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately most people are unable to think for themselves and put full beam on regardless
Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 PM

AudiR8 is on a distinguished road

They aren't on most cars because they just aren't. No real explanation needed, they aren't a necessity on a car. If they look good on the car, then they're included.