Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next Generation Toyota GT86 in development?

https://leftlanenews.com/toyota/next...still-partner/

"Supra is not to replace that car," he clarified. "They are for different audiences and are different products. We see a situation where they will sit alongside each other.'

He didn't say that Toyota wouldn't just sell current version without major changes for another 9 (or 900) years.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Does the current name have a lot of recognition in Europe? I feel like they should rename it "Celica."
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM
_

If there are a lot of initial D fans in Europe, then yeah. While we had Scion FRS, they had "GT 86" from the get go.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

If it's just going to be another "sports car" hastily cobbled together by adapting the Impreza and still using the terrible Subaru engine then it will continue NOT to sell well. The GT86 is a massive sales failure because it is utterly terrible for the price. For the same price a GTI, Cooper S, or Mustang Ecoboost are far better choices.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
If there are a lot of initial D fans in Europe, then yeah. While we had Scion FRS, they had "GT 86" from the get go.
Given that Initial D is a rather niche TV program here, whilst the Celica has strong rally pedigree in Europe, I'd say that Celica would be the better name;

That said, it is still GT86 and not AE 86, so you would still have to explain that it's name is inspired after the internal code of a Corolla version (that IMO was never sold in most European markets), which got famous among Manga fans decades after it's production ended. Saying it is named after their most successful coupe in terms of motor sports makes a bit more sense, IMO...

But, then again, the GT86 is very much of a niche product in Europe, I highly doubt that name recognition here plays a major role in the development of a possible successor...
Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If it's just going to be another "sports car" hastily cobbled together by adapting the Impreza and still using the terrible Subaru engine then it will continue NOT to sell well. The GT86 is a massive sales failure because it is utterly terrible for the price. For the same price a GTI, Cooper S, or Mustang Ecoboost are far better choices.
I'd say the biggest issue with it is size...I'm 6'2 and 210lbs - I need to be a yoga expert to get into this car.

So, you eliminate a pile of north americans due to size, then when people are able to sit in it, there is some sticker shock and performance concerns (engine wise - I've heard this car rivals Miata for handling).
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
...I've heard this car rivals Miata for handling).
If sliding through corners is considered handling then yes.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Given that Initial D is a rather niche TV program here, whilst the Celica has strong rally pedigree in Europe, I'd say that Celica would be the better name;

That said, it is still GT86 and not AE 86, so you would still have to explain that it's name is inspired after the internal code of a Corolla version (that IMO was never sold in most European markets), which got famous among Manga fans decades after it's production ended. Saying it is named after their most successful coupe in terms of motor sports makes a bit more sense, IMO...

But, then again, the GT86 is very much of a niche product in Europe, I highly doubt that name recognition here plays a major role in the development of a possible successor...
Given the niche of the manga, anime, original car, etc regardless of timeframe. it is surprising that tone deaf Toyota even remembered the old car to pay homage with the new.