Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road
Default Kia reveals all-new "ED" (C-segment class)

Kia reveals all-new challenger to C-segment class leaders

Kia Europe has issued the following press release:

Kia Motors Corporation issued the first official photographs of its all-new family car - code named ´ED´ - at the British International Motor Show in London today. Created especially for European consumers, the new model will be Kia´s strongest-ever contender for C-segment honours when it goes on sale across Europe in December 2006 - a genuine chal-lenger to the established class leaders.

The 4.2-metre long ED has an unusually long wheelbase (2,650 mm) and will offer class-leading interior space, plus highly competitive levels of equipment and state-of-the-art active and passive safety. From launch, a range of four engines will be available, including 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0-litre CVVT gasoline engines and an all-new 1.6-litre VGT diesel engine.

"Our new C-segment model is code named ´ED´ because it is a European Design created with European consumers in mind," explains Jean-Charles Lievens, Senior Vice President Kia Motors Europe. "Our ED production model´s styling highlights that this car is a truly European design, tailored precisely to the C-Segment which is uniquely important in Europe. ED is truly a car designed in Europe, manufactured in Europe, to be marketed exclusively in Europe, to fulfil 100% of European customers´ needs."

With its ´tough not rough´ appearance, combining strongly solid forms with sensitively flo-wing lines, jewel-like detailing and a broad stance, ED points towards the future elements of Kia´s evolving design language - like the cee´d concept car shown by Kia at the Geneva Show earlier this year and at the British Show today.

Kia´s latest C-segment model, the ED will be produced at Kia´s first-ever European manu-facturing facility at Zilina in Slovakia. It will be marketed exclusively in Europe and the fi-ve-door launch models will be joined by a range of station wagons and sporty three-door hatchback models from September and December 2007, respectively.

The all-new Kia five-door family hatchback will make its world premiere at the Mondial de L´Automobile in Paris, France, on 28 September 2006, when its name will be revealed.
-globaautoindex

Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Santeno is on a distinguished road

We'll change the name of the thread once someone can confirm the production name for the vehicle.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road

Isn't this the Spectra/Cerato replacement?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

It would be well received in the USA I'm thinking.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 AM

GoLeafsGO is on a distinguished road

Dear Mazda,

Thanks for loaning us the side profile of the 3. I think it looks great on us.

Sincerely yours,
Kia Design Team

Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Gobias is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (GoLeafsGO)

I think this looks better than the Mazda3 hatch because of its sleek, non bulbous profile. I also like how the Kia doesn't have those tacky looking door sill extensions or body colored grille.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Santeno is on a distinguished road

I disagree w/ mr rogers. while this car does have a heavy dose of mazda 3 styling, it manages to tone it down to the point if making it look a bit anonymous. Where the mazda has a refreshingly original character, i can't help but think that this, like the toyota products HMC so tries to emulate, screams competent but uninspired.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:17 PM

tek2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Santeno)

Quote, originally posted by Santeno »
I disagree w/ mr rogers. while this car does have a heavy dose of mazda 3 styling, it manages to tone it down to the point if making it look a bit anonymous. Where the mazda has a refreshingly original character, i can't help but think that this, like the toyota products HMC so tries to emulate, screams competent but uninspired.

what toyota products are honda trying to copy?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

the1 is on a distinguished road

It looks good, definately not Koreean. If the price will be competitive it could become a real success in Europe.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

JBlair is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (tek2k)

Quote, originally posted by tek2k »
what toyota products are honda trying to copy?

HMC=Hyundai Motor Corporation

Modified by JBlair at 5:06 PM 7/18/2006