Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

Volkswagen will not cut back on quality when it comes to the Golf. It's reputation will diminish if they do so. I'm sure it will be class leading as usual.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

It should be noted that the Golf is being pulled from the NA market due to lack of sales and its reputation here is of so-so build quality, mediocre reliability, high maintenance and repair costs, and lots of repairs once out of warranty.

The Corolla and Civic destroy it for quality, durability, and reliability, as does an Elantra and and and.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The Corolla and Civic destroy it for quality, durability, and reliability, as does an Elantra and and and.
I think it is always important to note that when EUropeans speak of quality, tehy often mean just "interior materials" and number of soft touch parts; The Golf is certainly very good there, but, tbh., VAG has cheapened out all recent interiors including Audi, only Skoda seems so far to keep their standard (which, was below VW, but in the newest models is - as a result - above);

Reliability IMO can't be a question, has always been an Asian thing, but having been both in the newest Corolla and a new T-Roc, T-Cross and even a (more expensive, though smaller) Audi A1, the Toyota has them licked in terms of materials s well now. Unless VW saves the Golf from their current "screens instead of build" trend, it will not shine either....
Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
having been both in the newest Corolla and a new T-Roc, T-Cross and even a (more expensive, though smaller) Audi A1, the Toyota has them licked in terms of materials s well now
Really? Haven't been in a new Corolla (but have been in a new, lower-trim Camry), and I did not feel that the materials were any better than the Golf (but I do think the Golf has the best fit/finish of all the lower priced VWs.... I find the Jetta to be genuinely depressing).
Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Really? Haven't been in a new Corolla (but have been in a new, lower-trim Camry), and I did not feel that the materials were any better than the Golf (but I do think the Golf has the best fit/finish of all the lower priced VWs.... I find the Jetta to be genuinely depressing).
I'd agree with that assessment. I think the Corolla and RAV-4 interiors are a step up even compared to the lower-trimmed Camry.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'd agree with that assessment. I think the Corolla and RAV-4 interiors are a step up even compared to the lower-trimmed Camry.
We don't yet get the Camry in Europe (sales of the Hybrid start later this year), but the Corolla and RAV-4 are generally a huge step up;

Though, to be fair, Toyota sometimes uses better materials in European models than in US ones (previous US Corolla dash vs. Euro Auris, looking more or less identical, but the Auris had way more parts made of soft materials)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

The new Camry (at least the top shelf version) materials are fantastic.

The new Corolla...is about what you'd expect.

I've not been in a Golf recently - but if Corolla is indicative of Golf, then for the $$ colour me unimpressed. In fairness, I've never been a 'Golf guy'...I found the seating to be tight (especially in the back), and everything to be pretty average (ride, handling, materials, fit and finish)...this said, I know a guy who has a top shelf Golf - and he adores it.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

I've owned two Golfs but I just cant get past the "meet the new Golf, same as the old Golf" mentality. No wonder the Golf is dead in the USA. #boring
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
In fairness, I've never been a 'Golf guy'...
I do think there's something about this. The Golf seems very German to me, and that isn't going to appeal to everyone. The ride (even on 16-in wheels) is on the firm side (although certainly softer than the MB I just had), but I actually very much like the ride quality overall, esp the body control.

Material quality and fit-and-finish seem excellent to me, for the price. Very few cheap cutlines where you are likely to put your hands, and even map pockets are nicely lined.

However, there is certainly a no-nonsense quality about it (that, again, seems very Germanic). And, of course, reliability and fit-and-finish really have no relationship to each other.

The Camry I drove had such vastly improved dynamics that VW's history of making pleasant-driving cars isn't really an advantage anymore, IMHO. If they would import the new Corolla wagon (esp the hybrid), I would strongly consider it, but, of course, they'll never do that.

As for Honda, the reliability of many of its newer cars has been somewhat poor (or, at least, no better than average). Honda made exceptionally reliable cars in the relatively recent past, and I think most people haven't (yet) realized that the newer cars don't match that.....
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Honda just issued an extended warranty for their 1.5 turbo engines in the CR-V and Civic due to persistent issues with fuel leaking into the oil. They’re still reliable cars on average but not head-and-shoulders above the rest like they used to be. Meanwhile VW still isn’t the most reliable brand out there but they’re much better than they were - Consumer Reports puts them pretty much midpack for example.