Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2016, 04:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
My understanding last I checked was that the 1-series, which is FWD, will be China only while the US and Europe get a RWD 2-Series sedan AND a FWD MINI sedan that will be the mechanical twin of the Chinese 1-series.
Only in niche crazy BMW world can it make sense to offer a sedan version of the same "car" (let's forget for a moment that the 1/2 series compromises of two unrelated platforms) with FWD and AWD for different markets.So far, the RWD small sedan is just a rumor, I don't remember any mules yet alone proper spyshots, and given the point the current model's life cycle, anything not yet in tetsing must belong to the next generation, where the 1 series will switch fully to the FWD architecture.

For the 2 series, there are still controversial rumors whether it will stay on a separate RWD chassis for the coupe/convertible versions, or if it will simply switch to FWD and AWD for the M models, because no one cares in a Mercedes CLA AMG or Audi RS3/TT RS about the humble FWD roots as well. I have read both theories, and none of them seem more believable in terms of magazines stating them than the other, well, if anything the FWD camp seems to be in the majority...
Old 07-19-2016, 07:15 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Do you say that of the CLA and A3 as well?
CLA: having driven one, yes. It's not as bad as the reviews made it seem, but it's got a cheap and tinny feeling interior, and I don't think MB has quite figured out how to make RFT not be SO boomy on potholes. It's not a comfortable car. The 190E was tiny and, but it was a real Mercedes. This one, not so much.

A3: I'm relatively indiff to Audis in general, so, no. I just think the roofline is very awkward, and I prefer the less spartan interiors of most VWs (!).

Stinky steering apparently afflicts most (all?) BMWs today and will con't to do so (http://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-m...steering-feel/), so I think the angels already wept after this last 3-series was introduced. I see no point in a BMW that has crap steering feel (which this 1-series presumably will).
Old 07-20-2016, 01:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
We all know it's FWD and aimed at the A3 and CLA.

BMW needs this ASAP in the USA. This is a hit waiting to happen.
Totally agreed. The 2 series is too sporty to get serious consideration from mainstream entry luxury buyers, and not sporty enough (except in limited-prod M2 form) to attract sporty car buyers. That said, the X1 is serving quite well as the real entry-level BMW for NA, and with the decline of sedans BMW may be choosing to keep it that way.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
Totally agreed. The 2 series is too sporty to get serious consideration from mainstream entry luxury buyers, and not sporty enough (except in limited-prod M2 form) to attract sporty car buyers. That said, the X1 is serving quite well as the real entry-level BMW for NA, and with the decline of sedans BMW may be choosing to keep it that way.
The 2 Series is a mongrel. It's a chopped down 3 Series at a 3 Series price and compromised to hell and back as a product.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
...compromised to hell and back as a product.
Why do you think that? From what I've read, the 2-series might be the closest thing to a "real" BMW that BMW is producing these days.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 07-22-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Why do you think that? From what I've read, the 2-series might be the closest thing to a "real" BMW that BMW is producing these days.
The interior is cramped for one. For two, it's nearly as expensive as a 3 Series which is worth the minor difference. The look is dulled so that it won't take shine from the 3/4 Series. Dynamically, it's easily outdone for equal or less money.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
The interior is cramped for one. For two, it's nearly as expensive as a 3 Series which is worth the minor difference. The look is dulled so that it won't take shine from the 3/4 Series. Dynamically, it's easily outdone for equal or less money.
Interesting take. I think the 2-series is a bit awkward looking, but I think the 4-series looks VERY strange. The backlight is so steep that it almost looks like a hatchback. The 4-series doesn't have the "efficient," muscular stance of the old 3-series coupe or the gran touring proportions of the current 6-series. So I actually prefer the 2-series.

I haven't driven a 2-series, but I can't imagine that many (any?) thing cheaper would approach the level of sport and comfort that it has, save a GTI. Comfort in the passenger seat seemed reasonable for the size (I only sat in one briefly). And it does start at $32,000 (I doubt you could find near that price on the lot).

But, to get back to the 1-series, it'll be interesting to see the specs for the car....
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
...I can't imagine that many (any?) thing cheaper would approach the level of sport and comfort that it has, save a GTI. Comfort in the passenger seat seemed reasonable for the size (I only sat in one briefly). And it does start at $32,000 (I doubt you could find near that price on the lot)...
The Mustang and Camaro V6s beat it for price and can hang with performance and both are quite comfortable. The V8 versions match it for price and obliterate it for performance. Yes, the GTI is an obvious contender as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/bmw...ies-sedan.html

Finally the sedan is all officially launched today:

As known before, it is China only, available as 118i (with the 1.5 3 Cylinder), and 120 and 125 with the 2.0 i4 in various stages of tune. All are Auto only, with 6 speeds at the 3 cyl., and 8 at the larger engine. So it is finally the first FWD BMW sedan (and adding no manual and a 3 cylinder ensign to make die hard fans cry even more).

Looks like every other BMW, so it will sell, because I think those die hard fans aside - and especially in badge crazy China - few customers will care. But also it looks like it could be any 2011 BMW sedan as well, both in and outside. I don't see a single innovative detail on this car...
Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Raconteur

BMW desperately needs this in the USA.