Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 PM
CSS Veteran

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fi...-idUSKCN1BD0EG

FIAT and Marchionne really had a chance, they got Chrysler at the right moment for a good price, but unfortunately they seamingly didn't have the ressources to further develop the brands and it is only becoming worse.

I read 2 weeks ago that VW was in talks with FCA regarding a cooperation for light commercial vehicles, thus I agree with Swizzle that RAM would be one of the few brands to make sense to survive. Volkswagen doesn't have a LCV brand in the US and neither do they have Pick-Ups there. FCA urgently needs the cash, so VW should just go for them.
Chrysler and Dodge could indeed be rebranded Skodas and Seats.
Alfa Romeo is in a tough bet, Piech unfortunately isn't there anymore to get them for cheap now :)
Maserati as well, could easily use the Porsche developed platform though.
Jeep really would drive the price up I guess and I am not sure if VW would go there right now.

Last edited by disap.ed; 09-14-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKCN1BP1OH

FIAT and Marchionne really had a chance, they got Chrysler at the right moment for a good price, but unfortunately they seamingly didn't have the ressources to further develop the brands and it is only becoming worse.

I read 2 weeks ago that VW was in talks with FCA regarding a cooperation for light commercial vehicles, thus I agree with Swizzle that RAM would be one of the few brands to make sense to survive. Volkswagen doesn't have a LCV brand in the US and neither do they have Pick-Ups there. FCA urgently needs the cash, so VW should just go for them.
Chrysler and Dodge could indeed be rebranded Skodas and Seats.
Alfa Romeo is in a tough bet, Piech unfortunately isn't there anymore to get them for cheap now :)
Maserati as well, could easily use the Porsche developed platform though.
Jeep really would drive the price up I guess and I am not sure if VW would go there right now.
Confused. What does an article about Daimler have to do with FIAT at this point?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:14 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Confused. What does an article about Daimler have to do with FIAT at this point?
Nothing. This sh** Reuters page changes the address in the browser bar if you scroll down to the next article :/ Sorry, fixed it.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Alpha will never make it. It's another complete waste of money by FCA. Money that was earned by Dodge, Chrysler - who are starving and destined to sit next to Pontiac, Olds, Saturn, Plymoth brand junk yards.

For the record, Alpha has sold less than half of what Genesis has sold this year. Both are new 'brands' - and Genesis arguably has less brand recognition than Alpha. AND they don't have a CUV yet.

Even looking at things on a monthly basis - Alpha STILL trails Genesis by 10%-15% per month....

Alpha is a complete waste of resources.

This is in reference to Sergio talking about how they can't stand on their own feet yet....
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Alpha will never....
Alfa
Alfa
Alfa
Old 09-15-2017, 01:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

lol

I'm an enthusiast - and I STILL don't know how to spell the name!!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Raconteur

Left Lane is reporting that Hyundai-Kia is looking to buy FCA.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Left Lane is reporting that Hyundai-Kia is looking to buy FCA.
All of it, or just parts? As I understand, Marchionne is not keen on selling the whole FCA group, but rather have a "Jeep/RAM", "Alfa/Maserati" and "rest of it" split, either sold separately or just one part sold to finance the rest...
Old 09-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
All of it, or just parts? As I understand, Marchionne is not keen on selling the whole FCA group, but rather have a "Jeep/RAM", "Alfa/Maserati" and "rest of it" split, either sold separately or just one part sold to finance the rest...
Given that Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram is a legally separate company from Fiat/Alfa-Romeo/Lancia/Maserati under the FCA corporate umbrella, the American arm can easily be sold without the Italian garbage.

The smart deal would be to sell the American arm to Hyundai and then ink a deal with Geely for platform sharing for Fiat (small wheezers and small crossovers) and possibly to have finagled a platform sharing deal with Genesis for Alfa-Romeo and Maserati.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Given that Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram is a legally separate company from Fiat/Alfa-Romeo/Lancia/Maserati under the FCA corporate umbrella, the American arm can easily be sold without the Italian garbage.

The smart deal would be to sell the American arm to Hyundai and then ink a deal with Geely for platform sharing for Fiat (small wheezers and small crossovers) and possibly to have finagled a platform sharing deal with Genesis for Alfa-Romeo and Maserati.
I think the whole FCA and Hyundai/Kia could be a good match: Some Italian style for the standard Hyundais vs. Korean quality control for a Fiat 500 or a Chrysler, vs. Jeep "machoism" and RAM/Fiat commercial vehicles for Hyundai, including finally some Pick ups? Genesis, Alfa nad Maserati could well spilt platforms too. Think Genesis "Hellcat" for an AMG fighter...