Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 02:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I will stand by my opinion that despite being fashionable to hate among petrol heads, most of his BMW designs were actually quite influential, as many of the details have been copied many times since. And some of the Bangle era BMWs look fresher than the watered down replacement sold today. I also love his Coupe Fiat.

But this is just to much in every way, probably Bangle's secret plan to keep Chinese cars away from america, by making them incredibly ugly....
Bangholio will be forever remembered by the 2002 7 series and Second Generation 6 series. The layered trunk design is a fine contribution that others implemented better than his original attempts. The E60 hasnt aged well but im rather fond of the original "moustache" E90.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM

I don't think any of the Bangle-era design BMWs have aged well at all. I think the fact that BMW moved back to the 'one sausage, different lengths' styling after just one generation shows that Bangle's much hyped take on the 'flame-surfacing' style wasn't perceived as the brand's savior, but just as odd bordering on ugly (holy run-on sentence batman).

The only design of his I liked was the 6-Series, and that was only because it was strikingly different to anything else on the road and had plenty of presence. Was it easy on the eyes? Hell no.

I also think Adrian van Hooydonk is a name that is flying under the radar a lot - he's worked at BMW for a very long time, worked under Bangle, and then succeeded him. My best guess is that he's the one who did most of the leg-work, whereas Bangle to my eye was just the mouth piece trying to get everyone onto the hype-train
Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Raconteur

For me, his 6 Series was the epitome of ugly. I liked the Godzilla face of the 5 Series, but the 7 Series pretty much ruined that model for BMW.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Car-man View Post
The 5 series (E60) along with the 7 series (E65) are the worst designs of the Bangle era, specially the front, read and interior design. And no, not have aged well, the E 35 series 5 beside them looks 1000 better.
Regarding the 7-Series, I think it's hard to determine if a car has aged well when it was atrocious to begin w/....

I actually rather liked the 5-Series (and even the 6-Series) from that era and thought that the 5-Series was only marred by the weird headlight flourishes.

I agree that Bangle, for better or worse, has been very influential.

BTW, part of the reason for the car's ugliness is b/c of the function. The roof is complete flat to maximize surface area for solar panels and that entire car will fit 4 comfortably (5 in a pinch) in the same footprint as a Fiat 500 (not sure if the rep I spoke to meant a regular 500 or a 500L).