Looks interesting, looking forward to more photos

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
LC/LS is also TNGA, just as Prius, Camry is. But the first are GA-L (long mounted engine, so RWD), and there is GA-C/GA-K for transverse engines.

VAG Cayenne, Touareg, Q7, Bentayga, Urus, are not pure FWD, their engine is not transverse, but mounted in length. Nothing to do with RX/NX or Tiguan for example.
TNGA is an umbrella term for new platforms--plural--among them FWD/AWD applications and RWD applications. To say that the Prius and the Lexus LS are the same platform is total idiocy. GAL is not the same platform as the one under the Prius.

Not all FWD architectures have transversely mounted engines. FWD architectures have the engine ahead of the front wheels or mostly so. Subaru and Audi use longitudinally mounted engines for their FWD/AWD architectures, but make no mistake with them, they are designed as FWD with AWD grafted in.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Not all FWD architectures have transversely mounted engines. FWD architectures have the engine ahead of the front wheels or mostly so. Subaru and Audi use longitudinally mounted engines for their FWD/AWD architectures, but make no mistake with them, they are designed as FWD with AWD grafted in.
Exactly. You can still buy the A4 and A6 as FWD only (infact, vast majority of European fleet sold A4 and a lot of the A6 are), and even the cheaper MLB Quattros (A4 4 cylinders) are now of the hang on type, driving front wheels normally and rear wheels only if the front ones slip. So calling the MLB platform a FWD with AWD option is correct, marekting blabla from Audi aside probably, and the longitudinal vs. traverse engine makes no difference in that (that said, a lot of early FWD cars had their engine mounted longitudinally, in the Renault 21 - Medallion in the US - even both configurations were available. depending on engine size)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Well, because it is flagship, so based on LS/LC, so RWD based.
Once again, I asked for a SOURCE that indicates this, not your assumptions just because it's a flagship...

Like I said, I can just as easily say it flies and has an invisibility mode...because it's a flagship. What's my source? Just take my word for it...because it's a flagship.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Once again, I asked for a SOURCE that indicates this, not your assumptions just because it's a flagship...

Like I said, I can just as easily say it flies and has an invisibility mode...because it's a flagship. What's my source? Just take my word for it...because it's a flagship.
I suppose we could take Lexus' "the LS of SUVs" as a hint, but that is still definitely not a final source.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I have often wondered if Lexus and Range Rover coveted the opposite position. This will be interesting, I wonder what designation it will receive.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
I have often wondered if Lexus and Range Rover coveted the opposite position. This will be interesting, I wonder what designation it will receive.
it really should just replace one of the BOF SUVs although the ES shows they're happy to have multiple vehicles in the same segment. I didn't realize until the RX-L thread how large the base RX has become so this would have to be GLS sized to make sense.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
it really should just replace one of the BOF SUVs although the ES shows they're happy to have multiple vehicles in the same segment.
Until this upcoming generation, as the ES and GS will be merged into just one vehicle.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Until this upcoming generation, as the ES and GS will be merged into just one vehicle.
that's been rumored forever but haven't seen anything to substantiate, kind of like this concept being RWD ... getting rid of the ES altogether would make sense for the lineup but not for sales.

Last edited by IcedG35; 12-07-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
that's been rumored forever but haven't seen anything to substantiate, kind of like this concept being RWD ... getting rid of the ES altogether would make sense for the lineup but not for sales.
not kind of like, since there are articles and sources that I can easily link to. and it's the ES that would stick around, not the GS (we've seen spyshots of it, but no GS).

https://www.motor1.com/news/175659/2...spied-testing/