There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM
CSS Oldtimer

drugmirko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Whilst it is badge engineering, I'd say it#S not the worst kind, given that tehre is no market where Buicks are sold alongside Opels, unlike say the badge engineering Chrysler did with their K-Cars, GM with many vehicles throughout the 80ies to 00s, or cars like a Skoda Rapid and Seat Toledo, that are sold alongside each other with different badges. It's more like different brand for different market, like I wouldn't consider a Vauxhall classic badge engineering, or say one of the worst kind.....
ok... that's true. it is far worse when rebadged cars are sold on same market than in such case like with Opel and Buick models… but (for me) it still feels a bit underestimating for their consumers...
on the other hand I somehow have no problem with Opel/Vauxhal rebadging, but since they do it so strictly and for long (since late 60'), it kind of became so normal that I perceive them as "two sides of the same coin"... in fact, it became so normal that I doubt PSA will change it!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 AM

Tomm14 is on a distinguished road

Now it's official(Opel changed their plans following the appearance of the pics) http://www.netcarshow.com/opel/2020-corsa-e/

We can transfer this thread to the "New cars" one
Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinport View Post
Say no more! It was launched, in saloon format, as the Chinese Buick Excelle:

The interior is as it would have been too:

Wow, sure enough! Looking at the spy shots of the GM prototype again it does appear to be the same car. Assuming the front clip is exactly the same as was intended for Opel, I can say that I definitely prefer the PSA interpretation. The Excelle is a bit gawky-looking.

The interior is interesting; while the design is essentially the same none of the details match up exactly. All the panels seem to be slightly different shapes. So while they didn’t change the design much they didn’t just lift the dashboard from the GM Corsa and put it in the PSA one either. And of course the door cards are completely different, with PSA door handles instead of GM ones.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugmirko View Post
I don't understand you…. Opel evolved its design into current form with 2.gen Insignia, Crossland X and Grandland X. so, it would kind of stupid to ditch it just afer just three new models and all previous gen. model "facelift transition", to forcefully start in completely different way. especially because it would probably completely shock their current customer base, and because they were in "strategic GM-PSA cooperation" from arround 2010-12 where Corsa/C3/208 successors were planned to share new PSA platform...
the reason for Opel launching heavily refreshed Corsa D, named Corsa E, was because "strategic PSA-GM aliance" fell apart and Corsa D was almost 10 years old…
my guess s that new Corsa (as well as Grandland and Crossland) wouldn't look any different if Opel would still be GM-owned.

though, the fact that all next "PSA based" Opel models will 100% have their own design, is realy commendable and is, like mick78 said "how platform sharing should be done"!!
Uh, they definitely would look different. The PSA chassis have totally different proportions. You can even tell by looking at the proportions that the Crossland X and Grandland X are PSA based, not GM based.

The Encore/Mokka is based on the Chevy Sonic and Trax, and it definitively looks it. Proportions between those cars aren't the same as the PSA cars.

Also, pretty sure Corsa E would have been shared and developed with more Chinese input. GM was trying to consolidate all of it's platforms down to one or two.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Wow, sure enough! Looking at the spy shots of the GM prototype again it does appear to be the same car. Assuming the front clip is exactly the same as was intended for Opel, I can say that I definitely prefer the PSA interpretation. The Excelle is a bit gawky-looking.

The interior is interesting; while the design is essentially the same none of the details match up exactly. All the panels seem to be slightly different shapes. So while they didn’t change the design much they didn’t just lift the dashboard from the GM Corsa and put it in the PSA one either. And of course the door cards are completely different, with PSA door handles instead of GM ones.
So, I wonder if this Chinese Excelle is actually also not what the EU GM Corsa would have been, either. This Excelle rides on the "GEM" platform, which is meant for emerging markets. Unless GM was really considering using a basic and unrefined chassis for Europe, I wonder if the styling for the Corsa got ported to this cheap platform.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:44 AM

Twinport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
So, I wonder if this Chinese Excelle is actually also not what the EU GM Corsa would have been, either. This Excelle rides on the "GEM" platform, which is meant for emerging markets. Unless GM was really considering using a basic and unrefined chassis for Europe, I wonder if the styling for the Corsa got ported to this cheap platform.
It’s an interesting one. If you look at the doorcasing, armrest, dials and infotainment surround /controls in the pictures of the cancelled GM Corsa below , they are identical to the Excelle:

The front end proportions are also incredibly simillar, with a wide, jutting grille and high mounted headlights. With the C segment moving away from sophisticated suspension systems to save costs (and the ongoing profit pressure put on the A and B segments), the GEM platform might have made sense.

Last edited by Twinport; 05-26-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

drugmirko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Uh, they definitely would look different. The PSA chassis have totally different proportions. You can even tell by looking at the proportions that the Crossland X and Grandland X are PSA based, not GM based.

The Encore/Mokka is based on the Chevy Sonic and Trax, and it definitively looks it. Proportions between those cars aren't the same as the PSA cars.

Also, pretty sure Corsa E would have been shared and developed with more Chinese input. GM was trying to consolidate all of it's platforms down to one or two.
no, no... you didn't understand me... I wasn't talking about platform and propotrtions, of course they are very and obvious "non GM" (in fact they are almost spot-on Pug 208)...what I ment was "design styling", it's dominant "cues", forms&shapes of basic elements like grille or headlamps or C pillar .. things that make new Corsa instantly "connectable" with Opel and as such, with design of GM based models from their "near past" that "draw" their curent styling direction, or resemblance with models of their "ex-sister" GM brand Buick… non GM platform and proportions doesn't mhave uch with these things… except that they "reduce" feeling of direct relatedness with current and upcoming GM models...
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

I think we can move the topic to the official thread.

http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=24555