Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road
Default Mazda's future plans (inline 6 and possible RWD architecture)

An interesting roadmap from Mazda (via Jalopnik):

https://jalopnik.com/mazda-challenge...h-d-1834636620

Car and Driver assumes that a longitudinal engine layout = RWD.

I love how Mazda keeps things interesting, but I don't get developing a 6-cyl diesel (or even an 6-cyl X; an "insider" on the MBworld forum said a few yrs ago that MB saw no advantages in the HCCI tech beyond 4 cylniders)).

Mazda also needs to make sure they're pricing their cars well below the Germans and are offering decent lease deals (at least in the US, since I assume leasing is way more common than purchasing in the luxury realm).
Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Mazda is in deep trouble. It has good products that do not sell as they should and investing in a new RWD architecture won't be a magic bullet.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Mazda is in deep trouble. It has good products that do not sell as they should and investing in a new RWD architecture won't be a magic bullet.

I agree, and honestly, I never get why they don't sell more; However, even a few better sales can't change the fact that nowadays Mazda is too small to be profitable, and keep up with R&D on all fronts; The question is whether they find a partnership where they don't just end up in a VAG way selling rebadges and reskins of the mothership, but keep some of their engineering mojo and thinking, or they wait until the last moment and are just swallowed by some larger cooperation, probably from China;

I also agree that going premium is not the correct way, especially developing a large RWD platform and an inline 6 engine (especially a Diesel, as the only last Diesel heaven is the European fleet market, where Mazda is not a player) that have very little prospect in terms of sales; I also don't get why this move of Mazda would make Toyota look silly or shame BMW, as the article claims.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Raconteur

The win for Mazda would have been for Sergio Marchionne to have inked a deal to use Mazda as Ford did.

Alfa Romeo should have been relaunched as an Italian Subaru i.e. as a near-premium, turbocharged, FWD/AWD brand. Reskinned turbo Mazdas would have done it.

Dodge and Chrysler could have been reskinned Mazdas with the Dart and 200 being 3 and 6 respectively. That move would have been lucrative for both companies.

But Mazda is its own kind of stupid too. The Miata desperately needs a 300 horsepower option and they won't do it because of some zen-garden bull crap about balance. The Fiata should have been an Alfa Spider with a 300 horsepower turbo 4.

Mazda will disappear into Toyota and be forever lost...as will Subaru in time.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

apart from maybe a rebirth of the rx-7/8, what other purpose would a rwd serve for a company like mazda?

Not sure inline 6 is needed either. And no thee miata does not need a 300hp option.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
what other purpose would a rwd serve for a company like mazda?
Aside from creating the division that Acura should've become, not much. Esp for a small manufacturer will presumably more limited resources than a Honda....
Old 05-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
...And no thee miata does not need a 300hp option.
Yes, it does. As well as a competent chassis tuner. The Miata is a bit of a slow drifter. As it is, it is the plastic-wheel-cover-edition Camry of the sports car world. For as pricey as it is, there are simply far better choices for sport.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Vormund is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The win for Mazda would have been for Sergio Marchionne to have inked a deal to use Mazda as Ford did.

Alfa Romeo should have been relaunched as an Italian Subaru i.e. as a near-premium, turbocharged, FWD/AWD brand. Reskinned turbo Mazdas would have done it.

Dodge and Chrysler could have been reskinned Mazdas with the Dart and 200 being 3 and 6 respectively. That move would have been lucrative for both companies.

But Mazda is its own kind of stupid too. The Miata desperately needs a 300 horsepower option and they won't do it because of some zen-garden bull crap about balance. The Fiata should have been an Alfa Spider with a 300 horsepower turbo 4.

Mazda will disappear into Toyota and be forever lost...as will Subaru in time.
Yeah I agree *shock*

Also I have a feeling that this inline 6 has been developed alongside and is an extension of the SkyActiv X EDIT: I found a part where they say exactly this.

I'm predicting it being a 3.0 in size...maybe 3.7 at absolute max.

Last edited by Vormund; 05-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

This just became more interesting.... Apparently, Toyota and Mazda will share the RWD platform and engine. I'm actually totally fascinated to see what this partnership produces....

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...e-makes-sense/

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/75821