Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 AM

Modern Design is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down The thing about owning a Tesla no one talks about — nightmarish repair delays

"The general manager said it could take several months, that Tesla didn't seem to realize that their cars might get in accidents, and they had no parts inventory," he said. " Their parts are made to order, just like their cars."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...L&ocid=UE09DHP
Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

As an owner of a Model S, I call BS on this.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
As an owner of a Model S, I call BS on this.
My uncle, driving a new Model 3 and successfully reversing into his trashcans, had the car fixed in a very short period, no problem, last month; So definitely not a general Tesla problem everywhere,

That said, with every brand I have heard horror stories of various parts not being available and cars resting on the dealership lot for weeks/months (a friend'S Skoda Octavia RS was at the dealer with a broken DSG for nearly half a year), I think it often comes down to specific parts with supplier problems/strikes at some distribution centers/updated inventory numbers/software, etc. And likely, the more niche your car, the more likely this will affect you, but not as a general rule.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Well put and agreed.

I have a friend who owns a TOP END CLS w/ a very specific performance engine. It literally exploded (with only 65,000kms on it). He was without his car for 4 months. So, to your point - more niche, more time.

I belong to a bunch of Tesla facebook clubs / etc. The one thing I've noted is that Tesla will prioritize the repairs. If a customer is unhappy w/ the way a seatbelt is wearing or something simple like that - it doesn't get the same urgency of repair as to if there is a screen issue / etc.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly, even if this wasn't BS (or something you could encounter with any automaker depending on the vehicle)...too bad. Buyers run the risk of these things when they buy a vehicle from a fairly new automaker that has well documented and known quality control/production problems.

If you don't want to run the risk of there being difficulty in obtaining parts, having long times for repairs, etc...then don't buy something from a brand that is still in the relatively early stages of mass production.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Indeed this can happen to any brand and you might have issues even with super high end cars where things shouldn't be breaking but they do.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

The problem with Tesla is the "return to the mother ship" mentality for servicing.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 AM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Design View Post
"The general manager said it could take several months, that Tesla didn't seem to realize that their cars might get in accidents, and they had no parts inventory," he said. " Their parts are made to order, just like their cars."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...L&ocid=UE09DHP
more rubbish news from a rubbish news network, the only reason anyone sees this trash is because it integrated with Internet Exploder / edge / Windblows 10
Old 05-03-2019, 07:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The problem with Tesla is the "return to the mother ship" mentality for servicing.
This. Tesla is the only supplier for basically everything they sell, and thus replacement parts take forever to get a hold of.

I’ve heard that this is part of the reason why Tesla auto insurance is so high, and cars get totaled out when they could realistically be fixed. Labor/wait time for replacement parts is too long.

Also, replacing a bumper cover or a taillight is a whole different ballgame than a car that may need quarter panel or potential frame repair; which I gather is where Tesla repairs start taking significantly longer than average.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road

We are now into silly season for many journalism websites. Where the regular staff disappear and summer interns arrive. They are given story concepts to flesh out for publication. Their journalism skills start at google, find an unconfirmed report and bingo, they get published.