Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 PM

manny1967 is on a distinguished road
Default Volvo going back to Volvo AB(and Renault?).

Is there any credibility to this report?

32.620/www.ocbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=949633802.2517511.1490229 .207313511.979&aID2=114624

This report suggests that of the PAG division in Ford, Volvo is the best part and likeliest to sell, as apparently BWW was also interested a few months back.

If there is any truth to this report, Mr. Mullallys strategy to revive Ford appear s to be the dismantling of Jacques Nassers multi brand strategy of growth. [

Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Volvo going back to Volvo AB(and Renault?). (manny1967)

Lets see, the past weeks we hear from everyone that Jaguar and LR are for sale and it seems despite initial claims of it being false there seems to be interest from Ford to sell them. Now Volvo, we also discussed the issue of Volvo, i really dont see why Ford would also sell Volvo. I mean come on, Aston Martin is gone and Jaguar/ Land Rover are under discussions for a future sale...Volvo as well? So what would be left of Ford, just Mazda along with the NA only Lincoln and Mercury (the latter which is dead in the water as it is). Pfff, great

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Superfresa is on a distinguished road

Ford NA, Lincoln and Mercury are sufficiently succesful to tackle Toyota on their own, and money losing companies like Volvo, Land Rover, Ford Australia and Ford Europe can be sold. And Mazda too. Doesn't everyone know how succesful Ford NA are at building cars that they can sell the succesful bits of their company?

LMAO. Ford Australia is up for sale next. It's obvious that Large RWD from Australia are unsuccesful, which is why the Ford Fairlane has been cut off, but the Ford 500 is on.... Hehe. The 500 is succesful, whilst the Holden Caprice / Statesman shows how nobody wants an Australian one... oh wait... Doesn't the rest of the world know how Ford USA can take an inferior Australian product that up to date has contained all other SUV manufacturers in sales, and make a vastly superior Freestyle?

Haha... Lets get rid of the lot! Its not like Volvo has any safety credentials that give Fords products a lot more credibility or anything....

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Superfresa)

I sincerely doubt this is credible. Volvo has been doing well for Ford, obviously, and if they need cash that bad then things must be worse at Ford than we know.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Superfresa is on a distinguished road

See, the other idea I was having is that this is another set up by Ford to make those Brit Unions and so on to cooperate. Nothing like a good scare to get people to work, and LR and Jag certainly need improved perceived reliability results.

As For Volvo, the story might be that they're also having troubles with their workers for whatever reason. Am I on to something?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Superfresa)

Quote, originally posted by Superfresa »
See, the other idea I was having is that this is another set up by Ford to make those Brit Unions and so on to cooperate. Nothing like a good scare to get people to work, and LR and Jag certainly need improved perceived reliability results.

As For Volvo, the story might be that they're also having troubles with their workers for whatever reason. Am I on to something?

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's time for automotive unions to realize that Chinese workers will do it for next to nothing and no doubt will soon be able to match the quality. It's time for unions to make huge concessions.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM

JB is on a distinguished road

Volvo will go last. You will see a J-LR sale before Volvo. (Mullaly has been quoted as saying that a Volvo sale would be a last resort, after a sale of Jaguar and Land Rover)
Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

MrMGMan is on a distinguished road

I don't know where you get the idea that Ford has anything resembling union trouble in the UK, or reliability issues with Jaguar. Contrary to your opinion of Jaguar having reliability issues, it's actually one of the most highly ranked brands in most UK based customer satisfaction/reliability surveys, placed considerably above most of its continental opposition. Where Jaguar does fall down slightly is on perceived quality - mainly by using materials which seem more 'Ford' than 'Jaguar' and in some cases (X-Type) interior materials that even MG Rover would be ashamed of. In all reality though, this has more to do with the bean counters at Ford insisting that Jaguar keeps costs down than it has to do with the actual construction quality of the vehicles.

Land Rover seems to be at the opposite end of the scale, despite using materials that are more than up to scratch, it does still suffer from some issues with reliability, although it has made massive progress in this regard under Ford's management.

On the union issue, we're not anything like as militant in the UK as we used to be. British nions seem to have learned that the only way to secure their continued employment in the long-term is to work with the management, whoever that might be, rather than against them, as was the case when British Leyland's industrial relations strife garnered British workers the reputation for being rather troublesome and militant.

Getting back on topic and to the rumoured sale of Volvo back to its former parent company, I can see it making some sort of sense for Ford's management. They've recently remortgaged the entire company for ten's of billions of $'s, and are likely to be keen to pay the loans off as quickly as possible - one of the quickest ways of helping to do so would be to sell Volvo Cars back to Volvo AB for around $5-8 billion, along with the disposal of Jaguar Land Rover for $3 billion.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

StevenZoz is on a distinguished road

i read somewhere that ford officially said they have no plans to sell volvo currently
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC60 T8 Polestar | Previously Drove: 2019 Volvo XC40 R-Design, 2016 BMW 328i xDrive, 2015 Audi A3 2.0t, 2014 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0t AWD (x2), 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road

Volvo and Mazda are good design arms for Ford. Granted what Ford DOES with Mazda and Volvo platforms in NA is not awe inspiring, but the Five Hundred...oops all-new Taurus is one hell of a car because it borrows heavily from Volvo. I think Volvo is the easier one to sell between it and JLR, but of the two entities Volvo is definitely the keeper.