Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 AM
NISMO by another name..

Jeep typically does there US debuts at the NYIAS. The recent Compass debut in LA wasn't an international debut.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATSUN View Post
Jeep typically does there US debuts at the NYIAS. The recent Compass debut in LA wasn't an international debut.
Both Grand Cherokee and Wrangler were NAIAS debuts. In 2006, they drove the current Wrangler out a plate glass window in Cobo as a part of the introduction:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...006/reveal.asp

That was a recreation of the stunt with the original Grand Cherokee in 1992:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnTwBOGk1I

New York has typically been reserved for the smaller Jeeps like the Compass, as well refreshes.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/upc...-wagoneer.html

In your typical twist of events and announcements concerning FCA, the apparently canceled Grand Wagoneer is actually not cancelled, but coming actually as both Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, however as a BOF instead of a unibody design. So more like a Jeep Escalade, kind of. Makes kind of sense, to make it a classic American BOF "barge" and not trying to make another Range Rover, that, at 140k $, probably wouldn't have sold anyway...

However, as it is FCA, this will probably still change at least 5 times until the car gets (or not) presented eventually...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post

In your typical twist of events and announcements concerning FCA, the apparently canceled Grand Wagoneer is actually not cancelled, but coming actually as both Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, however as a BOF instead of a unibody design. So more like a Jeep Escalade, kind of. Makes kind of sense, to make it a classic American BOF "barge" and not trying to make another Range Rover, that, at 140k $, probably wouldn't have sold anyway...

However, as it is FCA, this will probably still change at least 5 times until the car gets (or not) presented eventually...
Agreed....Sergio has plenty of 'it's on again / it's off again' time on his hands. When he first took over Chrysler - I admired his 'get it done' attitude; now his behaviour is a massive roadblock.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post

To be fair, the cancellation was just a rumor
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
To be fair, the cancellation was just a rumor
How many products has Sergio had in his '5 year plan' that have made it to market?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
How many products has Sergio had in his '5 year plan' that have made it to market?
Dude. I'm not defending FCA, I loathe them. I was just making a factual point.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Dude. I'm not defending FCA, I loathe them. I was just making a factual point.
Oh - I know. Sorry, I might have come across harsh... I think we're two folks that are passionate about FCA's potential - but hate the mess they've become. Put another way, we're aggressively agreeing with eachother :)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Raconteur

So now that the Wagoneer is going to go antiquated with a BOF construction, I fear this will be a Ram "Expedition" with Jeep styling.

I was horrified by a report I saw that Sergio is thinking of using the Giorgio platform for the next Jeep Grand Cherokee. That would be utterly horrific given the Giorgio's odd gestation. Jeep would be better off to up-cycle the Mercedes platform used by the current Grand Cherokee and replace the dreadfully ugly Cherokee with the Giorgio-based SUV is that has to happen.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
So now that the Wagoneer is going to go antiquated with a BOF construction, I fear this will be a Ram "Expedition" with Jeep styling.

I was horrified by a report I saw that Sergio is thinking of using the Giorgio platform for the next Jeep Grand Cherokee. That would be utterly horrific given the Giorgio's odd gestation. Jeep would be better off to up-cycle the Mercedes platform used by the current Grand Cherokee and replace the dreadfully ugly Cherokee with the Giorgio-based SUV is that has to happen.
RAM "Expedition" or Escalade is probably very much what Marchione has in mind, also - very much as he said he envies GM's profit margin on their full size BOF SUVs - financially.

I suppose putting the GC on a Giorgio platform is surely a financial decision, on the on handy a platform only ,makes sense if it is shared by as many cars as possible, and given the current GC uses a current MB platform, probably FCA is paying some license fees that they'd clearly love to avoid.

Also, nowadays platform sharing seems way more flexible, if VAG can putr everything from a Seat Ibiza toa VW Atlas barge on the same MQB base, Toyota now will use basically tehir new Prius platform for all FWD based car and one new RWD chais for Lexus (and probably some JDM Toyota sedans), I guess a larger RWD/AWD compatible platform that is praised by the press so far for how it drives should be an okay base for a Jeep GC, especially if the larger Wagoneer means the GC will probably be a bit more car like in it#s next generation (basically, what all SUVs/CUVs are becoming right now)