Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 04:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero

http://www.worldcarfans.com/sp...hotos

"Heres proof that Mitsubishi is planning to evolutionarily develop their existing Pajero off-roader rather than building a new model from scratch. Taken just outside the legendary German Nrburgring, our exclusive spy-shots show whats to become of the next-generation Pajero, scheduled for a launch at the 2007 Detroit Motor Show. Its going to be more than the usual facelift  but wont be a complete new model either. While the whole front will be revised, modifications at the rear will be limited to new taillights, a mid-mounted spare-wheel on the rear door and a new skirt and bumper. Todays characteristic rear wheel arch will be toned down to a narrower layout giving the car a more modern overall look.

Though adapted to the EURO 4 emission regulation, all engines will be left unchanged, allowing European buyers to choose between the 3.5-litre V6 GDI petrol engine with 200 bhp and the 3.2-litre 160-bhp turbodiesel. Japanese customers will again get one more motor to choose from  the 3.0-litre turbodiesel with 115 bhp. Buyers in the U.S. will get the choice between two petrol V6s only: the above mentioned 3.5-litre GDI plus a 3.8-litre V6 developing 218 bhp."

Pictures
http://www.worldcarfans.com/sp...hotos

It suxs that it aint all new.... its gonna be like what Nissan did with the Patrol basically but instead theyre changing the whole front whereas the Patrol was the whole back.

Disappointing but o well

Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Hmm... Boxy back and rounded front? I hope Mitsu doesn't go for the bland styling.... Give us some concept X in there!

They need to get their act together. why the hell would they offer a 3.5 V6 and a 3.8 V6? Spare the crap, just work on the 3.8 instead! On the plus side, good to see them keeping the Pajero simple but good luck convincing most buyers that simple is good.

If they really work on that front and give the car (a) a new interiour and (b) a great price, I reckon It will keep selling well, but it wont reach the Prado - not in Aussie anyway.

They should've worked on a new skin at least though, if not a new engine... How about a V8?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

I have to question the accuracy of the article.
Worldcarfans seems to indicate that there will be a U.S. version of the next gen Pajero/Montero/Shogun (mentioning the two engine choices). This contradicts Mitsubishi press releases from both the U.S. arm and the Japan parent.

Also, the Pajero was all new in 2000. The underlying platform is still sufficiently current (it's a unibody design that is fully off-road capable) and Mitsu is likely to upgrade the 4WD system.

I do agree that an improved engine was in order. Hopefully the 3.5l V6 GDI is not just a carryover and the 3.8l V6 will get MIVEC to improve fuel economy.

Modified by evomk8 at 6:40 AM 5/22/2006

Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Re: (evomk8)

As said, the current Montero is only 5 years old and an all new platform was developed with the independant rear suspension. I believe that MMCs mistake was that it moved the Montero too upscale and the effort was good enough.

As I am sure that MMC will not bring this model back to the US, its global volume isn't high enough to scrap their investment, thus afacelift is understandable. I am sure we'll have surprises in the powertrain output... not simply carr overs.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (bolita)

The car on those pics looks bloody identical to current Pajero/Shogun from what i can tell. If those pics are current i bet its just a mule with the old shell on.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (CosworthKid)

The spare Wheel in the middle is a good idea. So the Pajero in Europe will no longer have these crap rear lights in the bumper.

However, I don't believe the article to be totally right. I believe Mitsubishi is testing new driveline components with the old body. In my opinion it's just some hide and seek play.

And there has never been an 3.0 Turbodiesel with Mitsubishi. Mitsu has got the new 2.5 and 3.2 Common Rail, with the 3.2 being the sucessor of the 2.8. Mitsu did have an old 1.8 and 2.0 Diesel in the past and a 1.9 Diesel (Renault) in Mitsubishi Carisma in Europe. The current Colt in Europe is offered with a 1.5 -Cylinder Diesel (68+95HP) and the Grandis comes with 2.0 Diesel (VW, PD). Also Mitsu introduced Ralliart-Tuning for the Diesels with approx 20% increase in horsepower under the "normal" warranty.

ALexander

Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (alx37)

Current Pajero ships with 3.8 and 3.0 V6 in Japan. No 3.5 GDI anymore.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: (CosworthKid)

Quote, originally posted by CosworthKid »
The car on those pics looks bloody identical to current Pajero/Shogun from what i can tell. If those pics are current i bet its just a mule with the old shell on.

hmm.. in that picture the car inst nowhere near identical with current Pajero. What I can see there is new doors (bottom part), new mirrors, new quarter-panels and front and bonnet of course.

the rear wheel arch is different and the line from arch dont continue to the rear. And it looks like in the front there is those characteristic Mitsu fog lights and bottom-part of frontbumper (like new Outlander)

Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (-Peter-)

I guess ur right, but what i meant was its very evolutionary so im wishing this isnt the new model, just a body shell on a mule which might have been an earlier design. I was hoping for something similar to the Dakar car

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

it looks like they have toned down the front wheel arch buldge, thats one of the things i like about the current Pajero