There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 AM
CSS Veteran

spwolfx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
It puts out 168 bhp in the UX: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-revealed-news

While I'm sure that's totally sufficiently for daily driving, it sounds pretty pathetic to me.

C&D also has an article elsewhere about the new CVT.
its 168hp for 2.0l petrol and 176hp for 2.0l hybrid.

For Europe, it is certainly not pathetic by any means - UX became best seller with 112hp turbo petrol and 122hp hybrid.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Didn't say it shared parts, but it does indeed share the shape and layout is very much the same (indicative of the relationship between them).
Actually while they are both aligned towards the driver and are similar in that part of the design (hopefully new Auris is similar), they are pretty different, unlike for instance in VW/Audi/Skoda where almost everything is the same.

For instance Lexus has much wider central tunel and much more buttons both for HVAC and Audio, both on central tunnel and below the screen.

I dont think there is any Lexus that does not have screen - vents - controls, and in UX screen is recessed into design while in C-HR it is sticking out like some kind of big tablet thingy.

In general, C-HR could be mistaken for entry level Lexus design, not vice versa, and I hope they do more of the same with other models.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:53 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolfx View Post
Actually while they are both aligned towards the driver and are similar in that part of the design (hopefully new Auris is similar), they are pretty different, unlike for instance in VW/Audi/Skoda where almost everything is the same.

For instance Lexus has much wider central tunel and much more buttons both for HVAC and Audio, both on central tunnel and below the screen.

I dont think there is any Lexus that does not have screen - vents - controls, and in UX screen is recessed into design while in C-HR it is sticking out like some kind of big tablet thingy.

In general, C-HR could be mistaken for entry level Lexus design, not vice versa, and I hope they do more of the same with other models.
says the known Toyota loyalist. The CH-R would NOT be mistaken for an entry level Lexus...ever.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

MrMGMan is on a distinguished road

There's such a thing as too much surfacing on a car, and this is a textbook example. So many creases and angles, and none of it seems to work as a cohesive whole - it's just a collection of disparate shapes and lines arranged haphazardly onto a car. The front is the best resolved aspect of the design, and even then, there's simply too much going on.

On a positive note, the interior is quite nice.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
its 168hp for 2.0l petrol and 176hp for 2.0l hybrid.

For Europe, it is certainly not pathetic by any means - UX became best seller with 112hp turbo petrol and 122hp hybrid.
Is the UX already available in Europe?

168 bhp is a bit lower than what entry-level, mid-sized family sedans have in the US (size equivalent of a Ford Mondeo). I don't think the UX's intended audience will care much, but 168 bhp is in the US is lower than what you generally find in entry-level luxury cars. While gas prices have increased a lot in the US over the past 10-15 yrs, we're still quite a cheaper than Europe, I imagine.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

168 bhp is a bit lower than what entry-level, mid-sized family sedans have in the US (size equivalent of a Ford Mondeo). I don't think the UX's intended audience will care much, but 168 bhp is in the US is lower than what you generally find in entry-level luxury cars. While gas prices have increased a lot in the US over the past 10-15 yrs, we're still quite a cheaper than Europe, I imagine.
The UX is just having it's world premiere, I don#t think it is available anywhere yet; Personally I will say that approx. 170hp in a compact car (which the UX is after all) is plenty, especially given that T-NGA is on the light side of things, and at least with the hybrid you get a lot of low ooomph, thanks to the electric engine; Yes, at motorway speeds in Europe you can tell the difference between a 170hp car and a 2.0 turbo with well over 200, but then again, most GLAs and Q2s sold in Europe have tiny entry level engines (thanks to taxation), so compared to them that will still feel pretty quick.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if later the 2.0T form the NX or at least the 1.8 super charged engine form the Yaris GRMN make it into the Lexus (the GRMN engine is rumored for the C-HR) to satisfy those who want hot hatch horsepower without the handling....
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Personally I will say that approx. 170hp in a compact car (which the UX is after all) is plenty, especially given that T-NGA is on the light side of things, and at least with the hybrid you get a lot of low ooomph, thanks to the electric engine
Agreed. I think my point was that 170hp just isn't very... ASPIRATIONAL. ;) But, if you aspire to more, perhaps Lexus would simply prefer that you spend more $ to buy an NX, instead....
Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:

yeah sorry, C-HR obviously.

US is not the target market for UX, just like it isnt for C-HR. So what I assume they are doing is trying to lower the price with smaller engines and make it compete less with NX itself.

It is not just gas prices, it is taxes and people mostly drive in the cities. Most even larger luxury cars are sold these days with 2.0d and are not faster than upcoming UX 250h.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
says the known Toyota loyalist. The CH-R would NOT be mistaken for an entry level Lexus...ever.
shouldnt that make me know what I am talking about? :)

And it was about interior... look at Lexus LF-1 concept and check the interior and let me know what it looks like:

It is pretty obvious that the flow and style is very similar to the UX interior. From angled dash to integrated screen as well as combo meters. "Thin" HVAC strip under the vents?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
shouldnt that make me know what I am talking about? :)

And it was about interior... look at Lexus LF-1 concept and check the interior and let me know what it looks like:

It is pretty obvious that the flow and style is very similar to the UX interior. From angled dash to integrated screen as well as combo meters. "Thin" HVAC strip under the vents?
And what exactly is your point? I didn't say it didn't look like a Lexus, I said it's bones are still obviously a CH-R. That's a big difference.