There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Default 2019 BMW X7

Better than expected.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...t-look-review/

BMW X7

Last edited by The Car-man; 10-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM
CSS Veteran

I think it's just as ugly as the spy shots had indicated. I also think that the profile looks a lot like a Mercedes. And the interior seems to mirror what we've seen in other recent BMWs (dash looks virtually identical). I feel like all 3 German makes are sort of phoning in the design for both the interior and exterior now....
Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 AM
The Lurker

Meh, I don't mind it. I didn't mind the concept either. The grille is of course bigger, but I think it's sculpted better (chrome trim looks more purposeful than just a ring). Relatively modern everywhere else. Nothing offensive and should sell well.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Where I was pleasantly surprised is that the X7 is larger and statelier than expected. I recall the concept, where it was only 5-meters/197" in length, which would make it smaller than it's competitors, toward the size of a large, mid-sized SUV. Also, that made me question the X7's relevance, as the new-generation X5 is around 194", as well as having 3 rows. Then the production X7 is release and sized between 203-204", which made it more substantial and sets it further apart from the X5. Now, Mercedes-Benz would have something nice baking in the oven to compete, when the new-generation GLS-Class is released. With the GLS-Class, reports indicated that it would have two size lengths (like a Tahoe and Suburban), and also a Maybach variant.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Well, first, despite all the thoughts I have about this car, I'm certainly not the customer they target (and so is no other petrol head), so it will certainly sell;

That said, I find the detailing atrocious, ugly, horrid on the outside, whilst the rest of the shape is just a huge SUV with very little character (slam another grille on it, and it could be a GLS, Land Cruiser on anything form China);

Inside, whilst it looks fuoll of tech and made of expensive materials, there is still something about these expensive BMW interiors, that does not look as classy or luxurious as the own cousins at Rolls, or even Mercedes or Lexus(or even an older, say E38 or E39 generation BMW). It's something of sticking to the older theme, but loading it with everything,and then apply decoration to it everywhere, just for the sake of also having it or outdoing their German competitors in the number of materials used, or screens, etc....
Old 10-23-2018, 05:41 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Inside, whilst it looks fuoll of tech and made of expensive materials, there is still something about these expensive BMW interiors, that does not look as classy or luxurious as the own cousins at Rolls, or even Mercedes or Lexus(or even an older, say E38 or E39 generation BMW).
For me, MB interiors give the feeling that the design and material from a more expensive car (the S-Class) have trickled down to a less expensive car and thus make you feel like you got "more" for your $.

Current BMW interiors, OTOH, seem like they took the design from a cheaper car and then just replaced the finishes w/ something more expensive. That results in one feeling like they paid $ to put lipstick on a pig.

I also think that BMW doesn't have a unifying theme for its interiors. MB now has organic, flowing, Italian gaudiness. Audi has harsh, angular, robotic avant garde. Volvo has sleek, minimalist, low-key (-40 color schemes aside), and yet comforting luxury.

BMW interiors used to be epitome of teutonic sterility and efficency. Now they just seem... confused. For instance, what the HELL is going on w/ that bizarro wood trim??? The color and graining pattern is just atrocious.

But, as you said, it will sell like crazy, I'm sure.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm fine with my RR Cullinan.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
For me, MB interiors give the feeling that the design and material from a more expensive car (the S-Class) have trickled down to a less expensive car and thus make you feel like you got "more" for your $.

Current BMW interiors, OTOH, seem like they took the design from a cheaper car and then just replaced the finishes w/ something more expensive. That results in one feeling like they paid $ to put lipstick on a pig.
I think you really hit the nail, that is what I feel too. Trickled down luxury vs. tarted up plebeian...