There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 PM
The Lurker

Default 2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Official:

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/the...-has-been.html

Looks like a refresh. A decent one, but a refresh. Like they took the design team from the Malibu and asked them to spend a few minutes adding their pieces.
The interior however is VERY nice. That's one thing I commend Chevy with recently: nicely designed interiors. The Corvette, their trucks, Malibu, and now this all have very clean and modern cabins that don't suffer from plastic-tomb-syndrome.

Last edited by Nicktyelor; 05-16-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I'm fine with an evolutionary exterior. The rear is a bit meh, and I wish there was more glass area, but overall not bad at all, a bit more fluid than the boxy current car which is nice. The interior looks much better, I look forward to seeing it in person.

The eight speed auto is nice and is a notable advantage over the Mustang. A seven speed manual for the SS would have been nice but isn't a big miss.

If the handling lives up to the promise of the Alpha platform (I've driven the ATS and CTS and they're both very good) this should be a very compelling alternative to the Mustang.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
...If the handling lives up to the promise of the Alpha platform (I've driven the ATS and CTS and they're both very good) this should be a very compelling alternative to the Mustang.
Not disagreeing, BUT the IRS Mustang is a tremendous handler even without the track package or the pony package or whatever its called.

If anything, the Camaro and Mustang will do what German coupes do for half the cost.

This Camaro almost looks like a 2015 Mustang with Camaro cues tacked on. I don't find it ugly, but not stylistically compelling. Mechanically, I sure it will be.

Knowing that the Mustang was going to be all new for 2015, I would have thought Chevrolet would have moved the needle more toward wow than yawn.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Knowing that the Mustang was going to be all new for 2015, I would have thought Chevrolet would have moved the needle more toward wow than yawn.
Couldn't agree more. The new Camaro will get old in the tooth really quick. I don't think it helps to give it the same corporate face either. Though, it's probably about time GM came up with a corporate design that applies to more than one or two vehicle in the lineup. That, DLO, though... that DLO
Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Considering HOW MUCH of this car is new...I'm still surprised they didn't try to distinguish it more from the last gen.... I guess it's a winning look; so don't mess with it.

However, that interior is really nice. Hats off to them for that.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 AM

I'm just not getting Chevy and ford with their sports cars.
Sports car shoppers are generally fickle, and rightfully so, as these are "image" cars. They generally have the shortest shelf-life of any type of vehicle styling-wise.
Yet their cars, while redesigned from the ground-up, had a fresh canvas to work on, and they produce cars that arebarely even evolutionary in the styling department.
It just seems like wasted opportunities.

Also, while the temperature knob in the central air vents is novel, the placement of the vents is just plain stupid.

Last edited by ndjan; 05-17-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

It's a great and sharper evolution, and a beautifully reworked interior. Now, with the SS getting the LT1 6.2L V8 with 455HP and 455lb-ft or torque, I'm betting that the Corvette Stingray will be getting a power boost soon, as a result.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Post Nice but looks like someone else's design

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Not disagreeing, BUT the IRS Mustang is a tremendous handler even without the track package or the pony package or whatever its called.

If anything, the Camaro and Mustang will do what German coupes do for half the cost.

This Camaro almost looks like a 2015 Mustang with Camaro cues tacked on. I don't find it ugly, but not stylistically compelling. Mechanically, I sure it will be.

Was about to post without reading and you took the words out of my mouth. Looks good, but looks like they styled the Camaro similar to the 2015 Mustang and somewhat massaged an SRT Charger front end into the styling. Oh and that trunk with the rear lights as wide as they are looks like a ding magnet if ever loading some heavy or overpacked luggage.

Like I mention it looks good, but lacks an impact and in a sea of Mustangs Challengers older Camaros and Chargers it would get lost in the crowd. They're probably going to offer a few high impact colors to band-aid this, but it just won't be enough, and it being "All New" and probably coming an all new higher price tag is gonna make it lose more sales to the Mustang which will be the better bargain by the time this is out and with a year in to work out some of the kinks no less.

Instant winning formula would've been to make it stand out of the crowd and scream Camaro, give it everything it has now as features and announce it costs less than the previous generation. And for the love of god do we really need a turbo-4 cylinder pony car war?

Edit: For some reason the more I see that picture in the first post the more I feel like I'm looking at a '15+ Mustang rather than a Camaro. Anyone else kinda getting that?

Last edited by effew; 05-17-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Observation
Old 05-17-2015, 03:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Overall, it's an improvement, more so inside than out - like others have pointed out, the exterior is a little too evolutionary.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by effew View Post

Edit: For some reason the more I see that picture in the first post the more I feel like I'm looking at a '15+ Mustang rather than a Camaro. Anyone else kinda getting that?
That's what I find most disturbing about it. Until I saw the prototypes going around, I assumed the Camaro would migrate to 1970 Camaro cues.

The first Camaro was hastily designed to get a competitor to the Mustang onto the market, but it was the 1970 that produced the Camaro's design language that carried on in Camaros #3 and #4, much like the 1968 Stingray produced the iconic Corvette look.