Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 06:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Pretty promising so far. The DLO and prominent shoulders remind me of the Mazda3 but with more balanced proportions. The interior unsurprisingly is similar to the Fiesta's; touch screens will probably be standard on all but the most basic trims, so I'm not too worried about the clunky housing on top of the dash, which doesn't look like a production part anyway.

One big concern is the twist beam rear axle visible in some shots I've seen. The Fiesta proves that a multilink rear end isn't necessary for a good ride/handling balance but it's still a worrying indication of cost-cutting. In Europe I assume only the lower-end trims will get the twist beam (similar to the Golf), but given rumors that the US spec will see some extra cost cutting I'm a bit worried it's the only rear suspension we'll get in America. With the exception of the ST at least, which honestly is the only Focus I'm really interested in as a potential purchase, so I guess I shouldn't be that concerned.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I could see a dash appearing that clunky in say the Transit Connect, but the focus has more style than that.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

This is apparently not debuting until next year, meaning it's a 2019 if anything.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Pretty promising so far. The DLO and prominent shoulders remind me of the Mazda3 but with more balanced proportions.
Agreed. I did think Mazda 3 as soon as I saw it too.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I assume it also leaves a much larger blindspot (which is silly on a small car).

Overall, I'm liking what I see. The current gen Ford interiors in the more affordable cars was quite futuristic when introduced but haven't aged well at all. This looks far more conservative (but ergonomically better) and more space-efficient.

The exterior's a bit bland but still seems handsome enough.
Unlike the Golf which has broad C-pillars...

...the all-new Focus Mk4's rear window extends beyond the door sort of like BMW's Hofmeister kink. this should reduce the blind spot by giving the C-pillars more of a triangular shape while maintaining a wide door opening.

The current focus has quarter windows after the rear doors but this is also the reason it has smaller door openings.
You end up having a pillar next to your head.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'd suspect that they're pulling a Mazda and using the same doors, etc. for the sedan, so this is meant to save on costs. But still...
I'm pretty sure they have already done this on all generations, including the non US Mk. 2 model too. Sedan and 5 door sharing rear doors, only the wagon - for obvious reasons - not.

The longer doors on the new model might ease entry a bit (depends on how large the opening is behind the door, occasionally there are quite some discrepancies), but the much longer door means it is harder to open - and thus get in and out - in tight spots. So I think that the change is merely a cosmetic/design choice, not so much for practical reasons.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'm pretty sure they have already done this on all generations, including the non US Mk. 2 model too. Sedan and 5 door sharing rear doors, only the wagon - for obvious reasons - not.

The longer doors on the new model might ease entry a bit (depends on how large the opening is behind the door, occasionally there are quite some discrepancies), but the much longer door means it is harder to open - and thus get in and out - in tight spots. So I think that the change is merely a cosmetic/design choice, not so much for practical reasons.
fair enough! i didn't realize.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Minor, but I'm sad to see the disappearance of the window behind the rear doors. I've always detested hatchbacks, leaving a larger C pillar, that don't have this for some reason. The only exception is the Golf.
Look closely, and you will see that there will be a third side window behind the rear door. The black stripe may indicate the overall profile, but there is a forward leaning doorpost to be seen. Another indication is that, without the extra side window, the rear door becomes way too long compared with the front door and out of proportion.

The window in the rear door will also be spit, with a vertical bar separating the part that opens and the part staying put.

A very crudely drawn picture attached. Look for it, and you can see the third (technically the fourth) window on the side profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg You_Doodle+_2017-02-18T13_41_57Z.jpg (82.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by klazterp; 02-18-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Raconteur

Those would be ghastly developments.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
Unlike the Golf which has broad C-pillars...
My understanding is that the Golf has excellent visibility.

You can clearly see in the pics you've posted that the Golf has a significantly airier greenhouse. The C-pillar is a more consistent width, unlike the swoopier Focus. When backlight slopes that much and when the "kink" starts that high, it usually does, IMHO, cut significantly into rearward visibility, esp since you end up having an "irregular" blind spot. Also, the scale of the pics your posting make the Golf look rather large; even the 4-door Golf is 5-inches shorter than the current Focus hatch. So YMMV.