Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 AM
The Lurker

Default What's the deal with leaks and teasers?

Just having a few random thoughts about the way the industry works now in regards to releasing new cars. It seems like auto makers these days are beating social media and internet sharing into the ground by releasing teaser after teaser (usually more and more revealing) until the hype just bottoms out at the reveal. I know there's a constant battle for attention between the brands at the shows and having a lead up to the reveal will usually raise interest early on. But damn it's a boring process. What happened to the big surprises at the shows? Everything is just a slow build-up and either a yay or nay on meeting expectations.

An good example of an brand guilty of this and then going against the groove in this process is Subaru at L.A. Starting with the WRX. Leaks are iffy because whether or not they were meant to leak in the first place is debatable (although I'd bet it's intentional 90% of the time), but in combination with the official teasers, we'd basically seen the whole thing, in all it's boring glory... And then out of no where they show the BR-Z 'shooting brake,' Crossover 7, and Impreza/Legacy hatch concepts. It was extremely refreshing to get a genuine surprise from the show floor. Totally unexpected and interesting at the same time.

Another thing that bothers me is how teaser sketches are becoming so obnoxious. See below:

For one, that's one hellova teaser. They might as well show the whole car. The problem with these is that it's too revealing and the physical show car will look no where near and radical and flashy (although certainly a good thing for the case of those 26" rims yo). So isn't the automaker just setting up the press for disappointment?

So what's the explanation and consensus on this sort of stuff? It creates buzz, but is it always good or worth it to the brand? And does anyone else find it as annoying as me??

/rant over
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Raconteur

Autoweek had it right when they refused to publish teasers a while back. The teasers are a double edged sword. While they can increase hype and therefore interest, automakers are overdoing it. They do teasers for everything to the point that I would not be surprised if some people just ignore them.

The fact that the Mustang broke cover before it was unveiled was either stupidity on Ford's part by letting car magazines see it ahead of time or one of those fake "uh oh someone broke the embargo" moves.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Blue crazy moderator

I'd say the Autoweek leak wasn't intended. I imagine that they would have begged really hard to have the Mustang details super early (as the magazine is dated the 9th) and considering it takes at least a good month to get a magazine designed and on the stands...

Agreed on the teasers, or rather sketches. A teaser to me is like a headlight or silhouette etc. about a week or two before the unveiling, not a fully revealing rendering (ergo, not a teaser by definition).
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group