There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Da Vdub Man

Send a message via MSN to phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If they were going to install a brand above Holden, Buick would make more sense especially with Chinese manufacturing...
Both unknown brands here though, only Astra name will make any inroads.

GM brought Cadillac out here, then the GFC happened and they ceased introduction despite lots of interest, the brand name alone I think had a lot of cache here.

As said earlier time will tell about Opel, the major negative being that the Barina, Cruze & Malibu are essentially the same platform as the Opel Corsa, Astra & Insignia. So Opel should not overprice them.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeton View Post
Both unknown brands here though, only Astra name will make any inroads.

GM brought Cadillac out here, then the GFC happened and they ceased introduction despite lots of interest, the brand name alone I think had a lot of cache here.

As said earlier time will tell about Opel, the major negative being that the Barina, Cruze & Malibu are essentially the same platform as the Opel Corsa, Astra & Insignia. So Opel should not overprice them.
I laugh at the notion that Opel is anything but a bargain basement brand name
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I laugh at the notion that Opel is anything but a bargain basement brand name
It wasn't 20 years ago!
Now they have problems to sell it at Kia/Hyundai prices. This is a fatality for cars produced in Germany.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
It wasn't 20 years ago!
Now they have problems to sell it at Kia/Hyundai prices. This is a fatality for cars produced in Germany.
The first thing is that GM must do is get coherent in their marketing. Should they be selling cut-rate Chevys below Opel? Both lines could be merged with affordability as the top goal. OR if they keep the two-brand approach, Buick and Opel should become one line of cars worldwide differentiated only by brand name in respective markets. That would mean, conceding volume sales to Chevy and pitting Opel against Volvo/Audi.

It wouldn't surprise me if GM would prefer to source all its European product from USA, Mexico, and South Korea and kill Opel. The Peugeot/Citroen tie up will be a debacle like the tie up with Fiat.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 AM

I found the following article a few weeks ago, now is a good time to share: http://www.motor-talk.de/news/die-sc...-t4030279.html

Basically Opel is falling into a downward spiral and according to the article this is not something new and dates back to the 70s when they refused to modernize its compact car by adopting modern solutions like transverse engine, fwd layout and hatchback style. The article also mentions the decrease in quality from the 90s, bad badge engineering ideas and the financial situation of the company that was troubled for almost the entire last decade.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Raconteur

I had no idea their decline was that precipitous.

Where Ford has an advantage--finally--is that their mainline products are world products even if slightly differentiated for different markets. With the Edge and Mustang slated for export to Europe, both sides of the pond are now involved in the exchange. There really is no reason to have a Cruze and an Astra. There is no reason to have a Sonic and a Corsa. A "One GM" strategy would have to work better, but is it too late to take evasive action?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
GM doesn't need Opel and Chevy in Europe. They should make Opel an affordable brand, drop the link with PSA that is doomed to die, and get cut throat.

HOW can you be so mean and bad feeling with PSA like this
I've read many topics on this forum and your interventions are always to violently criticize the french brand...but why ???
Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm14 View Post
HOW can you be so mean and bad feeling with PSA like this
I've read many topics on this forum and your interventions are always to violently criticize the french brand...but why ???
Simple really: class-trailing styling, lack of innovation, poor quality/reliability, and perpetually making the most idiotic business moves because the government will always bail them out. The automotive leaders--currently--are from Japan and South Korea with the Chinese about to school everyone. As for being "mean", that made me laugh. PSA is a company, not some ill-adjusted kid that whines. Oh wait...
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
With GM still clearly struggling to control Opel, you have to wonder whether spinning it off has value.
It was on the cards some time during the US arm's time in Chapter 11, then everything pulled back. You look at the models developed in Europe that have gotten passports to the US product lines as wonder if GM USA could survive without Opel's research and development center.

This article looks like someone raking over the ashes again. But at a certain point in time, you have to wonder if a fire will break out.

http://wardsauto.com/blog/different-plan-save-opel
Wow. I started this thread five years ago.....Let me check my crystal ball...for the next prediction.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Raconteur

GM needed to lose Opel as far back as the bail out. Opel has never been "essential" to GM. GM has the capacity to produce small cars without Opel. It's turned successfully to Suzuki, Isuzu, Toyota and Daewoo/GMDAT/GM Korea and been just fine.

As I said elsewhere, I predict a GM-SAIC merger.