Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2020, 09:12 AM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Frankly, I can't see the Prius nameplate go anywhere here in the UK and in Europe because how much recognition it has. But then, Toyota has a history of shooting itself in the foot... (*cough* Corolla *cough*). That being said, with other cars in their line-up offering hybridised versions, I think the Prius is going to move away from ICE and towards alternative propulsion methods - electric or hydrogen - in the future.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I think the introduction of both the Venza and - so far not internationally, but that'S IMO just a question of time - somehow indicate that the next RAV-4 will grow (I bet on a proper 7 seat, Sorrento sized vehicle), and thus the Highlander can and will grow as well. Granted, both are rather fresh in the lineup, but also I'M certain the replacements are already in work....

To the Prius: I think Toyota would be wise to make their most innovative - and affordable, because the Prius always was - alternative propulsion car a Prius, be it a next gen Hybrid, EV, or even a more affordable Hydrogen car below the Mirai (which,after all, is more of a Lexus from the next gen on). I don't think Hybrid is irrelevant so far, the RAV-4/VEnza pretty much offer what a Prius offers in a more normal package - as does the COrolla - so I wouldn't be surprised if the next Prius get#S some next gen. HYbrid as well, whatever that might be...
The Venza should have slotted above the highlander to battle the Telluride perhaps. They have been cautious about increasing the RAV-4's size, the wheelbase is only slightly longer than that of the 2010 model.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
The Venza should have slotted above the highlander to battle the Telluride perhaps. They have been cautious about increasing the RAV-4's size, the wheelbase is only slightly longer than that of the 2010 model.
Given the Venza is RAV-4 based (incl. teh identical wheelbase), I don't think it would work above the Highlander; I think it#S position is alright, esoecially given that the RAV-4 looks more "trucklike", kind of the same (thoiugh with a smaller soread inbetween teh two models) that FOrd now has with Escape and Bronco SPort. TEhcnically teh same cars, but one feels more car like, the otehr one tougher. And I bet we will see more of that in the future, now that everytzhing becomes a Crossover, tehre will be the "even more crossover" versions of CUV....

and as said, I would imagine the cars to grow for the next generation, given how the bottom end was beefed up with offerings....
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 AM
CSS Oldtimer

What I meant to say was the Venza should have been a bigger vehicle outright. Agree about the RAV-4, its styled somewhat from the Tacoma.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
What I meant to say was the Venza should have been a bigger vehicle outright. Agree about the RAV-4, its styled somewhat from the Tacoma.
WHilst I wouldn't be surprised if there is a VEnza like vehicle above the Highlander, it would aslo pretty much be a Lexus RX (fair enough, the VEnza is pretty much an NX as well), so probably Toyota would consider a large, more coupe like CUV more of a Lexus thing, for profitability reasons, unless ofcourse the next RX moves upmarket (or gets bigger, goes RWD, changes somehow form it#S formula right now) so that there is room for a TToyota vehicle there. But even in that case, I think the Highlander would need to go the RAV-4 rouute a bit visually, becomeing a bit roughrer.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

IMO, modern Toyota is akin to GM in the mid-90's. Full of themselves, bringing out weird looking products that relied on historical perceptions. Their treatment of Prius exemplifies this.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:28 AM
CSS Oldtimer

There are shades of comparison, but Toyota isn't building garbage either.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Toyota is still doing very well in its home market, and globally. A few things that maybe a handful of people think are weird doesn't a "bad" company make.

The real reason the Prius's sales numbers have fallen, is that aside from it's kind of strange styling, there simply are more competitors, even in Toyota's own stable. Yet and still, the Prius still is the top selling non kei-car in Japan, and the 5th best selling car in Japan.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
IMO, modern Toyota is akin to GM in the mid-90's.
If anything, I'd say that VW right now reminds me of them; A ton of rebadges and platform sharing, cheapning the cars out and so so quality.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking lately that the Prius, as it is, makes no sense anymore. Half Toyota is hybrid nowadays. But as a pure electric, it could. Myself I don't think it would work either, but who knows.