There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM

Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'm trying to understand how you can say all that with a straight face. Yes, this was late, but... Yes, this was also late, but... Yes, this might not be late, but we don't know because it hasn't happened yet.

All of the models you noted that are currently on the road were late. The Model 3 is a question mark because their promised on sale dates haven't happened yet...so you don't really have anything to back up your claim that the Model Y will get here on time.
Not a big deal for a start-up. What about those many 2 years late products from Audi? Alfa 5-year plan? BMW X7 and Z4? Lexus/Toyota? Honda NSX? Aston Martin? Chevy Bolt? Kind of unfair. While Tesla has been late, Tesla has still delivered. After so many years of of people saying Tesla will fail, Tesla is still here. FIY, even GM and Chrysler failed, without bailout or merger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Why do I have the feeling this will be more crossover than real suv?
What is the difference between unibody SUVs and CUVs? None, unless your definition is that SUVs are AWD and CUVs are FWD. In that case the Model Y will be a SUV, because AWD.

Last edited by Levi; 06-08-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Car-man View Post
In Elon mind the model Y is an independent platform from model 3, sharing nothing but batteries, also will use a 48V wiring to reduce the use of cable and make it easier to build with a total automated "alien dreadgnouht"

I just wonder why not base the model Y in the model 3 platform and use the new 48V platform for the next generation model S?
Model S is aging and US sales took a sharp decline last quarter, attributed according to Elon, to buyers think that model 3 is the new top of the line car.
Not sure. I read that they regretted using the Model S as the basis for the Model X (frame wise) as they tried to shoehorn stuff in that wouldn't work. Me personally - I can't see it. MANY (ie, all) car companies base their CUV's on existing platforms.

I think what they have in mind (I read an interview about it somewhere) is that the automated production process allows the freedom for them to have different frames / etc with relative ease. Not sure how true that is - but I do recall reading it somewhere.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Why do I have the feeling this will be more crossover than real suv?
I always assumed it was a CUV?

This said - CUV's are the current bright shiny objects of the market - so it makes perfect sense for them to jump on that bandwagon.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I always assumed it was a CUV?

This said - CUV's are the current bright shiny objects of the market - so it makes perfect sense for them to jump on that bandwagon.
Given it#s bloated hatchback looks and generally car like appearance incl. not so high ground clearance, I would also call the Model X a CUV, though I kind of think the borders are more and more blurring.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:22 PM
CSS Veteran

Swallow Doretti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Fremont should be able to handle it with no issues. Even with the Model 3 at capacity, there is still a massive wing of that factory that isn't utilized.
Freemont will hit maximum capacity with Model 3 production, and there's no room to expand it beyond its current boundaries, because there's no land anywhere near the facility available.

And Tesla doesn't even have parking for its employees now, before Model 3 production has started.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/16...to-use-images/
Old 06-08-2017, 03:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Freemont will hit maximum capacity with Model 3 production, and there's no room to expand it beyond its current boundaries, because there's no land anywhere near the facility available.

And Tesla doesn't even have parking for its employees now, before Model 3 production has started.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/16...to-use-images/
Ugh.

I'd be shocked if they can't find a factory in North America that can handle this; and I bet states would be tripping over themselves with tax incentives to build them there. I actually think (as a Canuck) Canada should pursue as well; especially w/ our health care (cheaper), currency at $.75 on the dollar, known quality of factory output (Cambridge Corolla / Oshawa GM / Aliston Honda / Woodstock Rav 4) are all leaders in QC...
Old 06-08-2017, 03:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What about those many 2 years late products from Audi?... Lexus/Toyota? Honda NSX?
Genuine question: what products were 2-yrs late from Audi? And what Lexus/Toyota products have been late?

As far as the NSX, it was shelved when the global economy went south and then dramatically re-imagined. And presumably Honda was busy w/, you know, the Civics and Accords and CR-Vs and Pilots that bring in the big dough. That's very different, IMO, than what's going on w/ Tesla.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Genuine question: what products were 2-yrs late from Audi? And what Lexus/Toyota products have been late?

As far as the NSX, it was shelved when the global economy went south and then dramatically re-imagined. And presumably Honda was busy w/, you know, the Civics and Accords and CR-Vs and Pilots that bring in the big dough. That's very different, IMO, than what's going on w/ Tesla.
Audi A3 and Q7. A4 too was delayed I think, don't remember. Lexus LS, Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Sequoia/Tundra. But well, unlike Tesla that needs PR to keep interest. other car manufacturers can continue selling their outdated products, and don't need to make promises that they can't keep. But trying to "keep up" with Tesla PR, Daimler, BMW and VAG also will have delays with their BEVs. Mid 2017, still no electric Audi testing, no factory. BMW took years with project i, thus the delay of new products.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 PM

ajprice is on a distinguished road

We're not far away from it being shown now at 8PM PDT (3AM GMT, I think)
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/14/...al-livestream/
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Looks like a mix of tesla 3 and tesla x, hmm. I am not expecting a traditional suv, but I could be wrong.
Closed Thread