currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2020 Nissan Versa

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/20...rtier-styling/

The cheap sedan is receiving a new generation;

SO far, there is quite a lot of camo, but what we can see from the greenhouse and front end, it does seem to be related to the new European Micra; Which should result in a less challenging to look at car, with improved proportions;

Engines are expected to be shared with the Kicks, and so are likely infotainment and assist systems...
Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

There will always be a market for a truly cheap car. Let's hope the automatic is not a CVT sho that durability will be there because people who buy cars like this need them to be durable.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
There will always be a market for a truly cheap car. Let's hope the automatic is not a CVT sho that durability will be there because people who buy cars like this need them to be durable.
Is the Nissan CVT unreliable? Just asking, in Europe it has no "unreliable" image, most people don't like CVTs for the way they behave, but I haven't heard DCT like horror stories of transmission problems in general;
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Is the Nissan CVT unreliable? Just asking, in Europe it has no "unreliable" image, most people don't like CVTs for the way they behave, but I haven't heard DCT like horror stories of transmission problems in general;
Nissan is having issues with their CVT going kaput just after the warranty ends. All CVTs are problematic for durability vs a conventional automatic, but with 8 speed automatics and so on there really is no demonstrable advantage to a CVT, but there are some glaring disadvantages. Toyota created a problem with expectations for cars with Camrys that can go 200K miles without any major powertrain failures VS 75-90K miles on an Altima with crappy CVTs. Subaru has had its share of CVT issues as well, but they shut customers up by covering some out of warranty CVT transmission failures. If a car has a CVT, it not on my list. If it is a DCT, it's also not on my list IF I'M GOING TO BUY, but if it's a lease, who the heck cares.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 AM
_

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the failure rate really that bad? Toyota has had a CVT in the corolla for a while now, wonder how its holding up.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:11 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nissan is having issues with their CVT going kaput just after the warranty ends. All CVTs are problematic for durability vs a conventional automatic, but with 8 speed automatics and so on there really is no demonstrable advantage to a CVT, but there are some glaring disadvantages. Toyota created a problem with expectations for cars with Camrys that can go 200K miles without any major powertrain failures VS 75-90K miles on an Altima with crappy CVTs. Subaru has had its share of CVT issues as well, but they shut customers up by covering some out of warranty CVT transmission failures. If a car has a CVT, it not on my list. If it is a DCT, it's also not on my list IF I'M GOING TO BUY, but if it's a lease, who the heck cares.
Not all of Nissan CVT's are the same, but the Versa's new style CVT is generally reliable. The ones in the bigger cars, not as much.

Quote:
A lot of CVT automatics, especially the ones in the Altima, Sentra, and Rogue are known not for being great. Heat is usually the enemy of most any transmission, and CVT's especially are susceptible heat based failures and to blowing up. Not to mention, Nissan/JATCO don't really sell spare internal parts for their transmissions, so a a general mechanic or even a transmission rebuilding shop can't rebuild and replace broken parts on them.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm surprised by the durability comment. Any other part of a Nissan, ya, utter crap. But I always perceived that the CVT's were pretty decent. I know the early Murano's had some issues - but they were quickly resolved.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Raconteur

No. Nissan has ongoing CVT transmission issues unfortunately. But beside that the CVT offers no advantage over a modern automatic, but it will be hell to live with. I just don't understand the draw.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
But beside that the CVT offers no advantage over a modern automatic, but it will be hell to live with.
In theory, a CVT makes the engine always rev at the ideal rev range for either acceleration or economy; Basically what modern automatics with many gears replicate; Also, it is usually much better in low speed crawling than a DCT; The biggest gripe of CVTs remain the "drone" when accelerating with a heavy foot, which is psychologically a big thing, but reflects it'S "ideal rev matching";

Advantages without psychological disadvantages are the relatively low complexity and number of parts, making them lighter and more compact (thus very popular in small cars), and price, as they are cheaper to produce than a proper and more complex torque converter auto box; DCTs have similar advantages for smaller cars, but offer IMO a lot less refinement in low speed stop and go etc., so again probably a reason why Japanese car makers still prefer them, given the typical traffic speed in Asian cities...
Old 03-21-2019, 11:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The biggest gripe of CVTs remain the "drone" when accelerating with a heavy foot, which is psychologically a big thing
My only major experience w/ a CVT is in my partner's hybrid. It hadn't initially occurred to me that it was a CVT-related noise; I thought the engine was just straining w/ the desire for faster acceleration.

The drone doesn't kill the driving experience for me, but it is a bit unpleasant. I can understand, though, why it's so obnoxious for other people. I scarcely drive fast enough myself in that car to trigger much of the droning (and have mainly just driven it around town)....

I think the droning would occur much frequently w/ freeway driving....