currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough
Default GM scraps historic Holden car brand in Australia

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51499775

Quote:
General Motors has said it will retire the iconic Australian car brand Holden as it leaves more markets.

The American car giant said it will wind down Holden sales, design and engineering operations in Australia and New Zealand by next year.

It also said China's Great Wall Motors had agreed to buy its manufacturing plant in Thailand.

The announcement comes three years after GM ended manufacturing in Australia.

In a statement posted on GM's website, chief executive Mary Barra said: "I've often said that we will do the right thing, even when it's hard, and this is one of those times."

The statement did not say how many jobs would be lost as a result of the move but reports suggest it will mean up to 600 layoffs.

GM President Mark Reuss said the company had explored ways to keep the Holden brand but had decided that it would cost too much to remain in the "highly fragmented right-hand-drive market".

It comes as GM is accelerating its exit from unprofitable markets as it focuses on the US, China, Latin America and South Korea.

he move will end 160 years of the Holden name's association with Australia. The company was founded as a saddle maker in South Australia in 1856 before it started building vehicles in 1908.

Holden was bought by GM in 1931, beginning their 89-year history as a combined entity.

In response to the news Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "I am disappointed but not surprised. But I am angry, like I think many Australians would be.

"Australian taxpayers put millions into this multinational company. They let the brand just wither away on their watch. Now they are leaving it behind," he added.

The hashtag #RIPHolden is trending on Twitter as people post pictures and memories of the much-loved Australian brand.

Late last year the company also said it would stop selling its most iconic model the Commodore after more than four decades.

At the end of 2013 Holden announced that it would halt production in Australia and start importing vehicles from its overseas plants. GM said a strong Australian currency, high manufacturing costs and a small domestic market were among the reasons behind its decision.

The ending of Australian production of Holden's in 2017 resulted in nearly 2,900 job losses.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

The general is becoming more and more irrelevant outside the US, I wonder how long until they withdraw from South America as well. Selling some old Buicks in China will probably be the only thing left outside the States soon...
Old 02-17-2020, 07:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I personally feel that Holden was already dead, when GM (along with Ford) pulled out of the Australian market. Holden later became something of a shell of itself more recently, where all it is are rebadged models from other GM divisions (like Vauxhall is to Opel). Yes, some Holden models did indirectly make it to the USDM, such as the now forgotten Cadillac Catera, the Pontiac GTO and the G8 sedan, the Chevrolet SS sedan, and the Chevrolet Caprice PPV which was for law-enforcement and not for civilian sales. The three Zeta-based sedans mentioned were solid offerings.

Opel and Vauxhall mentioned above, are now within PSA-Groupe, and that is set for a mega-merger with FCA, so this is soap-opera like, and were truth can be stranger than fiction. The only Opel models in more recent years that reached the USDM were some past Saturn offerings, two generations of Buick Regals and the Cascada convertible. Opels became badge-engineered Holden models, such as the Insignias.

I hate to think like this, but, in Holden's case now, I say killing it makes sense now, it's already dead.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

Holden died with the last Commodore leaving the production line.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

63Bonneville is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
Holden died with the last Commodore leaving the production line.
I quite agree, since Holden became nothing more than a shadow or a shell of it's former self, once the last Commodore and other Zeta models ended production. It's saddening, and even a waste, and the end of an era. Somehow, I did see this coming, as GM sold off Opel and Vauxhall to PSA-Groupe.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Senator offers to buy Holden for $1

https://www.caradvice.com.au/849851/...-holden-for-1/

Quote:
Queensland Senator James McGrath offered to buy the Holden brand from US car giant General Motors for $1 in an extraordinary speech in federal parliament last night.

Senator McGrath also accused General Motors of using the global coronavirus crisis to prolong compensation negotiations with Holden dealers, after announcing in February it would axe the iconic Australian car brand by the end of this year.
The entire article is quite long, so rest of it is at the link above.

The Australian market for new cars seems about to be 1 million new units per year. Is there a sense to save Holden? Seems like lst year they only sold 43K new vehicles, see below

https://www.caradvice.com.au/817257/...es-in-decades/

While PSA/Opel could grab Holden to get a better foot hold into the market, I don't think it makes any sense at this point.

thoughts?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Senator offers to buy Holden for $1

https://www.caradvice.com.au/849851/...-holden-for-1/

The entire article is quite long, so rest of it is at the link above.

The Australian market for new cars seems about to be 1 million new units per year. Is there a sense to save Holden? Seems like lst year they only sold 43K new vehicles, see below

https://www.caradvice.com.au/817257/...es-in-decades/

While PSA/Opel could grab Holden to get a better foot hold into the market, I don't think it makes any sense at this point.

thoughts?
Well, the Australian market is definitely way too small to support a local only ca company, unless it is a pure side operation ("Rebadges") of a larger international group. People tend to forget that., whilst huge in size, Australia has not even 25 Million inhabitants, which would even in Europe not make it one of the larger countries by capita;

That said, I think getting the Holden brand for PSA would make a lot of sense, after all many Holdens were rebadged Opels anyway (hell, even the legendary Commodore was for most of it's life - or all generations except the final RWD one - based of an Opel Rekord/Omega and not some US GM produc, even if with varying degrees of reworkt; So using that brand to sell Opels down under would help, especially if PSA also say opens a facility for RHD production there, which could also cater other ASEAN markets or (South) Africa(and probably also manufacture Peugeots and CItroens); I'm sure, given the sad state of Australian car manufacturing right now, that they could also grab massive subsidies if they commit to that;

However, what must be clear is that the large, Australia only cheap large RWD sedan in dead (as this segment is everywhere else in the world); Even if there would still be demand, the figures would not grant the R&D budget....
Old 05-18-2020, 09:11 AM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

In today's world of synergies, cost efficiencies, globalisation and tight margins, there is no way that an Australian only operation would succeed. Like mick78 stated, it's an country with a very small population, and a very high earning one at that which means the labour overhead would have to be balanced out, which would be near impossible even with a very high level of automation.

Without the backing of a major corporation and exporting en masse to nearby Asian countries, I don't believe we will ever see a mainstream car made in Australia again. Which is a damn shame because the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon were very nice cars.