Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

When the Tesla Roadster gets closer to the Lotus elise in weight with better performance, we will have the winner!
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The inherent problem with EVs is that the greenies who worship them also hate the satan that powerplants are and building new ones is unthinkable to them.

Yet, with all of the electrification we are clinging to, we have to build more powerplants.

The greenies will tout clean energy that (1) does not have the capacity to make anywhere near the power we are about to demand of the grid and (2) is wildly more costly.

Until those two sides are reconciled, people all crazy for EVs to save the environment are essentially hypocrites.
You really do write some complete nonsense sometimes ..... I hope you do it to wind people up rather than actually believe it.

Most "Greenies" have already installed PV's on their roofs ...... and most who have realise they cannot use all the energy they produce (even in cold, wet England!) so are now installing battery backup systems - to capture this wasted electricity. This will mean we, like many others, will hardly use any mains power at all to charge our cars- and will actually enable load balancing of utility companies - thus saving the need to build more powerstations.

In addition to using fewer parts (most of an EV's power consumption is in the build stage) lets not forget how much energy it costs to refine crude oil to produce 1 gallon of petrol - and then transport it to petrol stations.

Whilst I don't delude myself that I'm saving the planet - hopefully I am encouraging technologies that don't actively destroy it - and I have the added bonus that for the foreseeable future I will have zero energy bills each and every month...... oh and have a car that will hold 5 (and a dog) in comfort and does 0-60 in 4 seconds...... and looks f*****g gorgeous!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:55 PM
CSS Veteran

and Electrification is only part of the automotive future. Autonomy, Connectivity and Sharing are also part of the equation. Car lovers may not like it, but the world is changing and we may have already reached 'peak car'.
Car manufacturers are already looking at no longer (mainly) selling their product, but providing Mobility as a Service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9jgf6CXoc
Old 07-04-2017, 05:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Its true and that might be best for the cities at least for 10 years.

First the took the manual transmissions away then the whole damn car
Old 07-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannersuk View Post
...... oh and have a car that will hold 5 (and a dog) in comfort and does 0-60 in 4 seconds...... and looks f*****g gorgeous!
And then have a dead battery and the vehicle be useless for hours on end.

You're perfectly free to have your opinion, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong. It just means you have a different opinion. I'm fine with that. There is no need to get triggered about it.

The fact remains that EVs are not "clean" given how much power worldwide is dirty power. Let's not even talk about how toxic the batteries are when they have reached the end of their serviceable lives.

EVs just present a new landscape of environmental hurdles to overcome.

Are EV's the future? Yes. Are they better for the environment? The impartial jury is still out on that one.

I have a solar roof in a place where it's summer 9 months out of the year, but that still does not produce enough electricity to be 100% off the grid.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
And then have a dead battery and the vehicle be useless for hours on end.

You're perfectly free to have your opinion, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong. It just means you have a different opinion. I'm fine with that. There is no need to get triggered about it.

The fact remains that EVs are not "clean" given how much power worldwide is dirty power. Let's not even talk about how toxic the batteries are when they have reached the end of their serviceable lives.

EVs just present a new landscape of environmental hurdles to overcome.

Are EV's the future? Yes. Are they better for the environment? The impartial jury is still out on that one.

I have a solar roof in a place where it's summer 9 months out of the year, but that still does not produce enough electricity to be 100% off the grid.
If people who bought the Toyota Prius knew the awesome technology that exists, they would kick themselves for ever thinking the Toyota Prius is good for the environment.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

They would also know that the earth is flat and operated by reptiles.