Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I will agree that the Cherokee needs to grow, it is too close to the Compass. I'm uncertain about the design though, whilst it is not for everyone, quite some people seem to love it, and I will say it has much better presence in reality than in pictures. But likely some family resemblance to the Compass will come, and won't ruin the general shape, which I like, and that shouldn't be ruined by a wheelbase stretch either.

In non US markets though, it is clearly not big enough for it's price too.

A 7 seat "Explorer" - if it is a enlarged Cherokee or a Pacifica derived Yuntu, is however a logical addition to the lineup.

The Renegade though, as quirky as it is, seems to sell by the ship load, and I think it#s boxy style is a major selling point (It IMO outsells the 500x quite comfortably, at least form how many you see). It also proves what I often want, that small cars need to look fun. And looking at the small cross over segment, even the otherwise design resistant Audi put out a comical Q2, Toyota a CHR that looks weird yet cool and sporty at the same time, and the Nissan Juke was, despite some haters, a runaway success. It seems those small CUVs need to look cute, stylish and slightly weird to be a success. I will even say the Renegade strikes the balance between "weird enough" and "not overdone" perfectly well, and looks like a Jeep.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post

On a tangent, I'm hoping Hyundai-Kia buys Jeep and Ram because they need those brands to fill out their portfolio and then use Genesis for a Challenger and Charger and let the Azera/Cadenza be a Chrysler 300.
A lovely dream. I wish it'd happen. There is far too much heritage in those brands to let them die and Hyundai seems pretty ok w/ trying ideas - something that Doge / Chrysler desperately need.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Heavy camo is off, confirms return to a more standard headlight setup:

Changes out back aren't an improvement from the current layout IMO

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/17/...#slide-7125675

Last edited by pjl35; 10-17-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Heavy camo is off, confirms return to a more standard headlight setup:
FINALLY!! what an even greater home run this would've been if it was actually attractive. finally the entire jeep lineup will be relatively attractive. now Hyundai can start working on a facelift for the Kona to follow suit
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Raconteur

The front is a massive improvement.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
The front is a massive improvement.
Not a difficult accomplishment, but true...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I actually didn't mind the face eventually...it grew on me. However, I doubt it'll age well.

While this face IS an improvement; will it blend in too much w/ the Compass / Grand Cherokee now? Meaning - has the GC face become too generic? Not a critique - but an honest question.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I actually didn't mind the face eventually...it grew on me. However, I doubt it'll age well...
I agree. History will NOT see this Cherokee as a worthy continuation of the first Cherokee/Wagoneer or the XJ Cherokee. A more complete overhaul was needed. It's good enough...for now.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I agree. History will NOT see this Cherokee as a worthy continuation of the first Cherokee/Wagoneer or the XJ Cherokee. A more complete overhaul was needed. It's good enough...for now.
Yeah people talk about how Audis are the same sausage in different casing sizes, looks like Jeep is doing the same thing, There's way too much overlap with their cars now. They have five 5-seaters, no 7-seater. IMO the Grand Cherokee needs to grow to 7 seats, the Cherokee needs to grow a full size. Either that or the Compass needs to be scrapped entirely.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Interesting perspective; I'd never thought of it that way. Technically the Compass, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are all 5 seaters. The difference in space (for seating positions) between the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are negligible at best.

Proportionately, I can't see how the Grand could grow to incorporate another row of seating and not look foolish; hopefully the Grand Wagoneer will take care of that.

I think there is a market for the current Compass; and I've seen a few on the road already - so suspect they have a winner on their hands. However the Renegade needs to be put out to pasture STAT.