Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I still think BMW should gobble up Honda. One thing for certain is that BMW knows engineering as well as coherent marketing...like Honda USED to. Honda as mainstream / Acura and targeted near premium / BMW premium would be a sweet little conglomerate.
BMW gobble up Honda? That will never happen.

Honda was mightily angry that BMW bought Rover. Honda had built up a collaboration with Rover or as it was back when it started British Leyland post nationalization. There were rebadged Hondas coming off the production lines etc.

No Honda would never entertain the thought. They have a long memory.

Back on subject, Honda just hired a new chief marketing executive Michael Accavitti who left Chrysler after driving the company into the grave.

What happened to the old one? He got a lateral promotion. Classic Japanese way of avoiding firing, saving face, increasing costs etc.

It doesn't look good.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Back on subject, Honda just hired a new chief marketing executive Michael Accavitti who left Chrysler after driving the company into the grave.
Yeah, and as I mentioned above, he completely fumbled his first big test. This guy seems like a total tool. There is a certain humility with which Japanese companies tend to respond to crises like this that he just doesn't seem to grasp.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
BMW gobble up Honda? That will never happen...
If Honda keeps imploding as it is currently doing it will sooner or later need a savior. Stranger bedfellows in business have happened before.

I can see Japan "losing" automakers. Subaru is already "gone" in the sense that it is Toyota. Isuzu and Mitsubishi are at a crossroads and so on.

This would be a good time for Honda to move aggressively, but if Honda's management continues to be stupid...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 AM
CSS Veteran

Honda has some new tech up their sleeve. It works well with Hybrids and it's referred to as "high compression." It's a combination of Skyactiv and MultiAir, to create an efficient engine that is simpler than A-VTEC. Honda scrapped A-VTEC since it was too complicated. Honda likes to keep their engineering simple, and not complex. This tech should debut in a future CR-Z variant as well as the next Accord. I'm sure the new Acura GT should have this tech as well.

BTW,

The FR-AWD supercar wasn't cancelled, but it did lose it's v10 in favor of a v6 hybrid with that "high compression" tech.

Last edited by rv65; 09-11-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
Honda has some new tech up their sleeve. It works well with Hybrids and it's referred to as "high compression." It's a combination of Skyactiv and MultiAir, to create an efficient engine that is simpler than A-VTEC. Honda scrapped A-VTEC since it was too complicated. Honda likes to keep their engineering simple, and not complex. This tech should debut in a future CR-Z variant as well as the next Accord. I'm sure the new Acura GT should have this tech as well.

BTW,

The FR-AWD supercar wasn't cancelled, but it did lose it's v10 in favor of a v6 hybrid with that "high compression" tech.
Dream on! Honda is at the back of the class stylistically and NO TECH can save them. Honda is the Titanic taking on water. Even clueless VW has a better grasp on the NA market.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 AM
CSS Veteran

I've heard that the 2013 Accord will have styling elements from the AC-X concept in Tokyo. Then again, Honda might make one global Accord instead of a separate US and Euro Accord. That is a possibility.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 AM
CSS Veteran

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...130-1o5ud.html

Maybe the Euro accord will be more like the AC-X if Honda makes 2 separate Accord's. Honda does admit their cars are ugly. I hope they can improve, but there are enough people who will buy Honda's regardless of styling.

Then again, Acura has trademarked a few names which could be for the new sub TSX which will have a hybrid version.

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-h...70439-page-1-2

ILX is another name for the new sub TSX.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Raconteur

The real problem Honda faces with the Accord is that the market HAS caught up. Like Toyota they will be "cautious" which only breeds stagnation. The Accord has to raise the bar. How about Civic MPG in the Accord, Honda? The new Fusion is bound to cause a wave of buyers to consider Ford.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If I can see Japan "losing" automakers. Subaru is already "gone" in the sense that it is Toyota. Isuzu and Mitsubishi are at a crossroads and so on.
I guess it will shrink the number of car makers, due to competition form Korea and China, just as European and Ameican car makers disapeared after the Japanese entered the place.

Isuzu is more or less GM, I see no sense in offering rebadged pick up trucks to keep the brand alive for cars. Mitsubishi will IMO sooner or later be associated or bought by PSA given their already strong cooperation ( i-Miev, Outlander, ASX), or go bust given their current model program. Mazda, though offering attractive models and having some good engineers, is surely not large enough to survive alone in the long term (think development costs), sooner or later they will need at least a strategic partnership...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Maybe Honda is on the way back - or at least its engineering is.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/07/w...sh-awd-system/

AWD mechanical system replaced by electrical motors.

Now if you want evidence that the top men at Honda are the ones who have ruined this company, read this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/h...ws-to-make-it/

Seems to me that the American Honda machine has been infiltrated by the Japanese Yesmen corporate culture.