CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,893
Default 2017 Rolls-Royce Project Cullinan SUV

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/rol...n-is-test.html

The whole thing is official now - with an official mule (a shortened Phantom with a wing that makes owners of a 15y. old Honda Civic jealous)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM
cuisine cuisine is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,682
Default 2017 Rolls-Royce Project Cullinan SUV

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/rolls-r...begins-testing

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 AM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,223
Default

It's odd they are basing in on the Phantom which rides on an OLD platform which has only been mildly updated once rather than being a version of the coming BMW X7.

RR needs a Phantom III that is all never bumper to bumper.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 AM
fou_bleu's Avatar
fou_bleu fou_bleu is offline
Blue crazy moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,593
Default

While I'm not privy to the actual plans of the SUV, just because a mule is based on the Phantom it doesn't necessarily mean the final product will be derived from the Phantom's platform - plenty of components can be evaluated before being brought together in a prototype.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If Audi can get away with relying on FWD architectures then the Continental is OK not being RWD.
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 AM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
While I'm not privy to the actual plans of the SUV, just because a mule is based on the Phantom it doesn't necessarily mean the final product will be derived from the Phantom's platform - plenty of components can be evaluated before being brought together in a prototype.
Indeed. Elsewhere, though, it is saying precisely that it is and will be Phantom derived. I don't believe that taking an almost two-generation old, stretched BMW 7 Series and turning it into an SUV makes any sense either, but the scuttlebutt is out there. What would be cool would be if BMW designed a new platform that is aluminum and carbon fiber intensive for the Rolls Royce Cunanan :) and the X7 and then use THAT to replace the X5/6.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 AM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Indeed. Elsewhere, though, it is saying precisely that it is and will be Phantom derived. I don't believe that taking an almost two-generation old, stretched BMW 7 Series and turning it into an SUV makes any sense either, but the scuttlebutt is out there. What would be cool would be if BMW designed a new platform that is aluminum and carbon fiber intensive for the Rolls Royce Cunanan :) and the X7 and then use THAT to replace the X5/6.
The Phantom was a state of the art bespoke aluminum space frame, far from a stretched 7 series. It's a 12+ year old design yet has only a 300lb weight penalty over a 15 inch shorter 2016 Maybach. I figured the X7 would underpin the new model as well from past information floating around, which is the logical choice given that approach was taken with the Ghost. Whatever underpins the next generation Phantom has to be strong enough to support a 20 foot long car, which means it's likely overbuilt and overweight for a more standard sized SUV. Time to see some i8 tech trickle down.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Reppu's Avatar
Reppu Reppu is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Madrid - Spain
Posts: 3,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
RR needs a Phantom III that is all never bumper to bumper.
How is that? As much as we car freaks think it is outdated, that's not the point. Certainly Phantom customers couldn't care less about MPG, weight, handling, etc. I think this car is still plenty satisfying
for them and will still be for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
How is that? As much as we car freaks think it is outdated, that's not the point. Certainly Phantom customers couldn't care less about MPG, weight, handling, etc. I think this car is still plenty satisfying
for them and will still be for a long time.
New styling if nothing else?
A more modern running gear?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Reppu's Avatar
Reppu Reppu is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Madrid - Spain
Posts: 3,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
New styling if nothing else?
You have a point there. Current customers will not likely want to buy the same car again once their current unit gets old.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Vantage Vantage is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
The Phantom was a state of the art bespoke aluminum space frame, far from a stretched 7 series. It's a 12+ year old design yet has only a 300lb weight penalty over a 15 inch shorter 2016 Maybach. I figured the X7 would underpin the new model as well from past information floating around, which is the logical choice given that approach was taken with the Ghost. Whatever underpins the next generation Phantom has to be strong enough to support a 20 foot long car, which means it's likely overbuilt and overweight for a more standard sized SUV. Time to see some i8 tech trickle down.
If you read the latest press releases from Rolls-Royce Motor Cars carefully you will find a clear hint that all their future products will be based on a completely new structure not related to any BMW underpinning. And project Cullinan will be the first model making use of it.

I assume we will see a similar approach used for the Phantom with its bespoke aluminum space frame. In any case the future line up of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars will obviously gain independency from BMW body structures. For project Culling this could result into a truly unique design approach without any limits derived from the necessity to share major parts with the future BMW X7. Which will also help to clearly position it above the new Bentley Bentayga, where the latest spy shots show a significant resemblance towards the new Audi Q7.

But it is also great news for the next generation Ghost and Wraith. As much as I adore the current cars I still think that unlike the Phantom you find certain areas where the part sharing with BMW has gone a step too far. I always wished that the current Ghost and Wraith would have been built with the same independency as the Phantom. And now it seems to happen.

Whoever convinced the beancounters within the BMW Group to approve this approach deserves my highest respect.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy