Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2017 Rolls-Royce Project Cullinan SUV

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/rol...n-is-test.html

The whole thing is official now - with an official mule (a shortened Phantom with a wing that makes owners of a 15y. old Honda Civic jealous)

Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2017 Rolls-Royce Project Cullinan SUV

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/rolls-r...begins-testing

Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Raconteur

It's odd they are basing in on the Phantom which rides on an OLD platform which has only been mildly updated once rather than being a version of the coming BMW X7.

RR needs a Phantom III that is all never bumper to bumper.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Blue crazy moderator

While I'm not privy to the actual plans of the SUV, just because a mule is based on the Phantom it doesn't necessarily mean the final product will be derived from the Phantom's platform - plenty of components can be evaluated before being brought together in a prototype.
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
While I'm not privy to the actual plans of the SUV, just because a mule is based on the Phantom it doesn't necessarily mean the final product will be derived from the Phantom's platform - plenty of components can be evaluated before being brought together in a prototype.
Indeed. Elsewhere, though, it is saying precisely that it is and will be Phantom derived. I don't believe that taking an almost two-generation old, stretched BMW 7 Series and turning it into an SUV makes any sense either, but the scuttlebutt is out there. What would be cool would be if BMW designed a new platform that is aluminum and carbon fiber intensive for the Rolls Royce Cunanan :) and the X7 and then use THAT to replace the X5/6.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Indeed. Elsewhere, though, it is saying precisely that it is and will be Phantom derived. I don't believe that taking an almost two-generation old, stretched BMW 7 Series and turning it into an SUV makes any sense either, but the scuttlebutt is out there. What would be cool would be if BMW designed a new platform that is aluminum and carbon fiber intensive for the Rolls Royce Cunanan :) and the X7 and then use THAT to replace the X5/6.
The Phantom was a state of the art bespoke aluminum space frame, far from a stretched 7 series. It's a 12+ year old design yet has only a 300lb weight penalty over a 15 inch shorter 2016 Maybach. I figured the X7 would underpin the new model as well from past information floating around, which is the logical choice given that approach was taken with the Ghost. Whatever underpins the next generation Phantom has to be strong enough to support a 20 foot long car, which means it's likely overbuilt and overweight for a more standard sized SUV. Time to see some i8 tech trickle down.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
RR needs a Phantom III that is all never bumper to bumper.
How is that? As much as we car freaks think it is outdated, that's not the point. Certainly Phantom customers couldn't care less about MPG, weight, handling, etc. I think this car is still plenty satisfying
for them and will still be for a long time.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
How is that? As much as we car freaks think it is outdated, that's not the point. Certainly Phantom customers couldn't care less about MPG, weight, handling, etc. I think this car is still plenty satisfying
for them and will still be for a long time.
New styling if nothing else?
A more modern running gear?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
New styling if nothing else?
You have a point there. Current customers will not likely want to buy the same car again once their current unit gets old.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
The Phantom was a state of the art bespoke aluminum space frame, far from a stretched 7 series. It's a 12+ year old design yet has only a 300lb weight penalty over a 15 inch shorter 2016 Maybach. I figured the X7 would underpin the new model as well from past information floating around, which is the logical choice given that approach was taken with the Ghost. Whatever underpins the next generation Phantom has to be strong enough to support a 20 foot long car, which means it's likely overbuilt and overweight for a more standard sized SUV. Time to see some i8 tech trickle down.
If you read the latest press releases from Rolls-Royce Motor Cars carefully you will find a clear hint that all their future products will be based on a completely new structure not related to any BMW underpinning. And project Cullinan will be the first model making use of it.

I assume we will see a similar approach used for the Phantom with its bespoke aluminum space frame. In any case the future line up of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars will obviously gain independency from BMW body structures. For project Culling this could result into a truly unique design approach without any limits derived from the necessity to share major parts with the future BMW X7. Which will also help to clearly position it above the new Bentley Bentayga, where the latest spy shots show a significant resemblance towards the new Audi Q7.

But it is also great news for the next generation Ghost and Wraith. As much as I adore the current cars I still think that unlike the Phantom you find certain areas where the part sharing with BMW has gone a step too far. I always wished that the current Ghost and Wraith would have been built with the same independency as the Phantom. And now it seems to happen.

Whoever convinced the beancounters within the BMW Group to approve this approach deserves my highest respect.