Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 03:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Maybe not. Jaguar is not exactly known for reliability with respect to anything electric.
Apparently neither is Tesla if you read the Model 3 thread I guess technically BMW beat them anyway with the i3 although it wasn't exactly a runaway hit.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
Telsa's monopoly in the premium electric segment was bound to come to an end sooner or later. It's just a little pathetic that it's Jaguar and not BMW Mercedes or Audi who got there second.
I am not a Tesla fan, but it is very certainly thanks to Tesla that other companies got serious about BEVs. That was Tesla's, or better to say Elon's, goal to push others to make BEVs.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM

Here are some more pictures of the pre-production I-Pace.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied...amboyant-camo/

Contrary to some comments here ....... the reason Jaguar has beaten Mercedes / Audi ....and to an extent BMW to bring a long range 5 seater electric car to the mrket in 2017 is they started the I-Pace project before Tesla had launched the Model S - so this car is not a response to what Tesla are/ were doing.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannersuk View Post
.. the reason Jaguar has beaten Mercedes / Audi ....and to an extent BMW to bring a long range 5 seater electric car to the mrket in 2017 is they started the I-Pace project before Tesla had launched the Model S - so this car is not a response to what Tesla are/ were doing.
The EV market is still microscopic in volume. So even if anyone were to believe that Jaguar had somehow gotten the drop on the Germans , Mercedes and Audi--it could easily be argued--are being more prudent. A crossover larger than the F Pace and a return-to-tradition XJ would make more money for the company's bottom line than a niche vehicle aimed at a small niche.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM
CSS Veteran

I'd love to see a next gen XJ, but I suspect that I-Pace will outsell it.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcread View Post
or rather, outpace it....

pcread?! dude its been a while
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:01 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Outselling the XJ is EASY, so not really much of an accomplishment. LOL

Clearly, a "Pace" is needed above the F Pace. That's the money move right there and it cannot come quickly enough to help with Jaguar's paltry volume.

I contend that Jaguar needs the XJ sort of like how Porsche needs the 911 in the sense that it's Jaguar's surviving icon. Granted, it will never be a big seller. I honestly think that an XJ that looks stunning like the Bertone B99 that is a focused sport sedan slightly smaller than an S Class and priced advantageously would sell better. That kind of premium sedan was almost what the 7 Series used to be before it became irrelevant by trying to be a Lexades.

I also think that a "XK-E" (a heritage name that was used interchangeably with E Type in the USA) would be a great name for an EV coupesedan because it would play on heritage and "E" for electric.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 AM
CSS Veteran

Yeah, the XJ is low volume but Iconic. I happen to love the current (X351) XJ. I even like the plexipanel on the C-Pillar. But it is time for a new model, not just a facelift. There is no way they can go back to a more 3-box saloon design language. That ship has sailed. My guess is electric and hybrid, I-Pace cues, high tech flagship. on that new, flexible electric skateboard platform
As for a J-Pace, making something that would tread on Range Rover toes might be difficult internally. Maybe that's where the XJ will go. Higher roofline, much more room inside, but not quite SUV. Tricky to pull off, but Ian Callum and team are on fire and that I-Pace platform is so flexible.

BTW Goodwood Festival of Speed will show off the SVO XE, a faster XJR and the I-Pace and I-Type (racer).

Hi Naga! yeah, still around! But quieter.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
...There is no way they can go back to a more 3-box saloon design language. That ship has sailed. ...
Sure they can.

And the ship they let sail was called sales. The pervious XJ handily outsold this one.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The EV market is still microscopic in volume. So even if anyone were to believe that Jaguar had somehow gotten the drop on the Germans
European Sales so far in 2017 are 105k units and the US is not far behind .......and you can bet China is probably higher than both.
So yes its not millions but if you are a niche player then even 20k sales in each significant market are sales worth having.

Quote:
Mercedes and Audi--it could easily be argued--are being more prudent
No, they have misjudged the market .....and will have to play catch up.