currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2019 Toyota Avalon

https://www.motor1.com/news/149375/2...on-spy-photos/
Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 PM
The Lurker

That front end is worrisome. Such a large grille(?) and lots of connecting pieces. None of the shapes make sense/flow with the body.

But the camo is probably obscuring it oddly. I will say the refreshed Avalon went the wrong direction IMO. Too much angry/sad fish mouth instead of the traditional upright trapezoidal version pre-MMC. I can't see Toyota messing up one of their best products though.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
That front end is worrisome. Such a large grille(?) and lots of connecting pieces. None of the shapes make sense/flow with the body.

But the camo is probably obscuring it oddly. I will say the refreshed Avalon went the wrong direction IMO. Too much angry/sad fish mouth instead of the traditional upright trapezoidal version pre-MMC. I can't see Toyota messing up one of their best products though.
I mean...have you seen the new Camry's front end? I don't think the camo is obscuring it realistically, given the whale mouth's they've been putting on other new models.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 PM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I mean...have you seen the new Camry's front end? I don't think the camo is obscuring it realistically, given the whale mouth's they've been putting on other new models.
True, but I can't even make sense of what the actual shape of the main grille will be. The Camry has a Lexus-lite predator face which you could rationalize in the spyshots. Here the connecting pieces coming from the edged of the upper opening go down almost vertically. But the overall big-bass mouth is there too, more alike to the Camry LE. So it kind of looks like they took the LE and SE Camry faces and smashed them together... I'm just bracing for something monstrous...
Old 06-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Raconteur

The Avalon is definitely Toyota's best looking sedan at the moment. It's also like getting a Lexus ES for nearer the price of a Camry.

With the new Camry looking so much like a mildly restyled version of the one it replaces, it follows that if you were to marry the Camry's new face with the look of the current Avalon, you'll have the new one's look.

What I find interesting is that while the Avalon has sold rather well for Toyota as a niche product, the 2017 sales have dropped considerably. This was no doubt too far along for Toyota to have responded to the sedan collapse.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
True, but I can't even make sense of what the actual shape of the main grille will be.
That's the beauty of it - there will be so many grilles, you don't have to define a main grille. There's one for everyone, in every possible shape ;)

That said, I do expect an evolutionary approach with the new Camry's not overly attractive face (the rest of the Camry is quite okay though), so it probably won#t be too bad....