Default 2018 Audi A8

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/all...stication.html

Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2018 Audi A8

After 2,7 Mio. teasers, here it is:

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/all...stication.html
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-...t-5698059.html

Well, it looks like an Audi sedan. Nothing dramatically new there. Personally I think the rear end is rather ungainly.

Inside xou get a lot of screens, and basically very few physical buttons. That said, the basic layout with the big slab of "paino black" plastic in the middel, incorproating the main screen, ventilation line above and the general shape is what you get i a lot of VAG products nowadays, so it fails to look special, or luxury to me. high tech yes, but not really luxury; The real life pic also makes teh piano black parts not look much better than ion a Polo/Ibiza, a material I'm not especially fond of:

Initial engine lineup consists of a petrol and diesel 3.0 V6, with more powerfull V8 petrol and diesels, a "e-tron" hybrid and a 6.0 W12 engine following. The body structure is no longer all aluminum, but a material mix with steel and some composite materials, but given there are no data on weight saving, it is probably more stable but slightly heavier. They also claim the new mix improves NVH levels...
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 AM
CSS Veteran

I quite like this as it looks like no other Audi in the line-up which makes a pleasant change. That said give it a year or so and most other Audi will probably look exactly the same.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 AM
The Lurker

I thought it was an A3 from the front. The headlights are simply too large for the car. I've been hoping for Audi to lead in the slimming of headlights as they were doing so well a decade ago, but they've just sort of stalled. Other companies are getting slimmer designs. Audi can, they just need to adapt.

That said, the rest is fine. The lines are clean and modern. Rear end is tasteful. I wouldn't be surprised if the interior was a mess to use because of all the screens, but maybe not. We'll see.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the interior was a mess to use because of all the screens, but maybe not. We'll see.
Honestly, I do have the impression that the sheer number of screens is there to claim " we have the most", not to ease usage. so are those touch sensitive surfaces for closing air vents, or that touch pad as light switch. Honestly, who ever claimed that operating such stuff by a knob or button is not practical? Others have tried before with similar solutions, none has worked out too well, Ford even has given up in the Fusion with some capacitive buttons for basic functions....

I'm also kind of surprised to see the hazards button is just a capacitive button as well, i thought there are regulations that hazards need a proper button
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

That tail end seems to owe a LOT to the new Continental...
Old 07-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
That tail end seems to owe a LOT to the new Continental...
Maybe Audi finally understands its place???

If this is the best Marc Lichte can do to create bold styling, Audi is doomed. I know the Chinese market has to be catered to and supposedly the styling tastes there skew toward bland, but why not make a new car look new?

It's not an ugly car but it is not special enough to battle the S Class.

It would be interesting to test the A8 against the Continental.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Honestly, I do have the impression that the sheer number of screens is there to claim " we have the most", not to ease usage. so are those touch sensitive surfaces for closing air vents, or that touch pad as light switch. Honestly, who ever claimed that operating such stuff by a knob or button is not practical? Others have tried before with similar solutions, none has worked out too well, Ford even has given up in the Fusion with some capacitive buttons for basic functions....

I'm also kind of surprised to see the hazards button is just a capacitive button as well, i thought there are regulations that hazards need a proper button
Not to mention how much glare all of that gloss is going to create when the sunlight hits it...including from the sunroof.

Fingerprints are going to make that interior a living hell.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Can mods merge before we get too many separate convos? (I realize this one was first though lol)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Arguably, this will be the most underwhelming design in Audi's line-up and doesn't look near premium or special enough. Not a great outcome for a flagship sedan.