Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Ford $14B in cost cutting...

Interesting article. I'm not sure I'm sold on Hackett yet as a leader. To me this smacks of what happened in the early 2000's where Ford openly considered only making trucks / SUV's; obviously a little less extreme this time around.

Yes, trucks / CUV's DO sell VERY well; and are the current king of the hill; so the notion is good. However an amazing design will do wonders for car sales; current fusion compared to the previous generation is a prime example. Yes, Fusion sales ARE declining - but is that because the design is old / not as fresh; I'd argue yes. And - while most he do like to dump on Tesla - 500,000 model 3 reservations shows that the sedan has LOTS of life left in it.

Also a good idea to cut the configurations; 35,000 possible configurations for a Fusion? Really? But hacking it down to 96 seems a bit extreme to me.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/14859/f...-electric-cars

To me (and maybe I missed it in this article) - Ford needs to find itself again; come up with a NEW design language and offer the compelling reasons why people should choose Ford over the rivals. A lot of what I read he was more catching up to where the market is; by the time it launches - the market will be that much further ahead.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 PM

I think Ford lets its designs languish. The cars are nice when they first come out (although I've never been fond of the design language for both the interior and exterior of most of its current cars) and then they just sort of sit around w/o many update. I suppose Sync has been improved, but the Fusion, which wasn't exactly class leading when it first came out, hasn't really been refreshed since its intro, no? The Sport model was a good idea, but Ford seem to be content w/ the status quo (at least in the U.S.).

I think cutting down on possible configurations isn't a bad idea. Car and Driver's last "in depth" review of hte Fusion was that there are many options, but none are hugely compelling....
Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Raconteur

The 2017 Fusion was a refresh but the changes are so minor that it makes you wonder why they bothered. The Fusion was all-new (to the USA) with the 2013 generation, but it was really a well-reskinned Mondeo (old) that has since been reskinned as a "Fusion". Prototypes for a new Fusion should be running around.

The new Focus will be delayed to this market. #MISTAKE

Losing the Fiesta was a no-brainer.

The 2018 Mustang isn't enough of a refresh visually.

The new Explorer is taking too long to get to market.

Inking a deal to co-develop RWD platforms with Cadillac (or Genesis) would make as much financial sense as co-developed transmissions.

I wonder if history will repeat itself with Ford restructuring just in time to avoid bankruptcy while GM and Chrysler (FCA) need bailing out again.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

It is shocking that Lincoln's last Rwd sedan chassis was the Lincoln LS/ Thunderchicken / S-type

What could possibly go wrong with building a sedan in the mustang's bones?
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The 2017 Fusion was a refresh but the changes are so minor that it makes you wonder why they bothered. The Fusion was all-new (to the USA) with the 2013 generation, but it was really a well-reskinned Mondeo (old) that has since been reskinned as a "Fusion". Prototypes for a new Fusion should be running around.
Ford and/or most sources claim that despite similar dimensions and looks, the Fusion/Mondeo Mk.4 are actually an all new platform (and the platform code changed as well), but even if it is an all new platform, development of a reskin should have already started
Old 10-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
It is shocking that Lincoln's last Rwd sedan chassis was the Lincoln LS/ Thunderchicken / S-type

What could possibly go wrong with building a sedan in the mustang's bones?
Especially since the 05 Mustang was a cheapened version of the Lincoln platform and that the 15 Mustang is largely that platform with IRS and a revised front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Ford and/or most sources claim that despite similar dimensions and looks, the Fusion/Mondeo Mk.4 are actually an all new platform (and the platform code changed as well), but even if it is an all new platform, development of a reskin should have already started
Suit yourself, but many claim it to be an "evolution" which means old car / new body. This is like how the new Fiesta is really the old Fiesta.The unchanged wheelbase is one indicator as are all the measurements within a pinch of each other.

Last edited by swizzle; 10-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Losing the old Volvo platform under so many Explorers etc is a no brainer.

We're in a massive transitional time. By the middle of next decade, there are going to be very few non hybrid or battery only vehicles out there. The only way to do that efficiently is a new platform.