Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws.php?id=10247

As it seems, the Opel Insignia is the car of the Year 2009, beating the Ford Fiesta by 1 point(!Cosworthkid, don't cry :)).
3rd place goes to Golf VI, 4th is Citroen C5, 5th is the Alfa Mito.

It is a bit of surprise for me honestly, but then again it comes with a lot of inovative gadgets, and the title can only help GM at this tough time.So songratulations!!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I kinda of fail to see those inovations... apart from great styling (the sedan, I hate the hatch). Fiesta is not very innovative either, but the design, low weight/good consumption figures and best in class driving manners make it the real winner IMO. Especially now when big, not very frugal, sedans are not very popular anymore.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Well, I guess an opel was overdue(IMO the Zafira would have deserved the title back then), and the "Opel eye" system will be seen in many cars soon, I guess. I do agree about the "bid and heavy car" thing, but in 1970ies oil crisis, the Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 became COTY, the probably least economical european car ever ;)

And honestly, the Fiesta is lightweight and good looking, but apart from that, not that inovative as well, as you point out. But you know, much of COTY is done by journalists driving these cars around a track, and maybe here the adaptive damping and probably teh powerful 2.8 V6 AWD made the game for the Insignia.

However, there are statistics that actually many COTY's became sales flops, ot at least, not very successful (Simca 1507, Lancia Delta, Ford Scorpio, Fiat Brava among the more prominent), or at least as title quite easily forgotten if sales were good (do we really remeber Renault Clio[twice!], Alfa 147, or Peugeot 307 being COTY?) so maybe the whole title is not worth anything Marketing wise. A nice source for debates for petrol heads like us, but that's about it.....