Old 10-27-2016, 03:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/201...lls-beans.html

Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Leaked interior:

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/201...or-leaked.html

For comparison:

I really hope they offer a digital instrument panel...
Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

That interior looks good enough, the right blend of modern Mercedes and "truckish G-Class" retained;

Personally I don't see the ultimate need for a digital instrument cluster, I still think a nicely executed analog instrument is classier than some on screen graphics (kind of like it is with watches; also I find those Audi "all Google satellite view maps in the instruments" rather distracting in the amount of visual info offered at once), and that massive center screen(at it's raised position anyway), together with a nice trip computer screen in between the instruments would do the job nicely for me. That said I'm certain they will offer the digital instruments as as well, given they will be available even in the A-Class soon....
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Personally I don't see the ultimate need for a digital instrument cluster
+1. I get why they do it from a marketing perspective. I think I'd be fine w/ analog + good heads up display for navigation.

Surprised that the G is getting the airvents that were otherwise reserved for the coupes. I also find all the metallic trim to be rather clumsily done, but this is just a mock up. I also assume that, unfortunately, it'll be replaced w/ carbon fiber in many variants.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
+1. I get why they do it from a marketing perspective. I think I'd be fine w/ analog + good heads up display for navigation.
Oh I agree, I should've been clearer. I have no issue with analog gauges...I just have an issue with them here in MB's recent interiors that have the the continuous cowl for the dual set-up because the transition from the infotainment screen to the analog gauges looks awful (see lower-end versions of the E-Class) as compared to the fully digital versions seen in higher trim levels and the S-Class.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
the analog gauges looks awful (see lower-end versions of the E-Class)
I don't know if I've seen the prod version of the analog gauges. I think the prob w/ the pre-prod versions I saw (here) were that the gauges were comically large and the there was no "depth" to the way the gauges were arranged. I think the single cowl almost forces the huge analog gauges b/c of the clearance needed for the screens.

I actually think comically large gauges would work well in a huge (or, at least, old-school appearing) SUV like the G-Class (just like anything oversized works well on the Navigator, Expedition, Escalade, etc).
Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Raconteur

I think it's a clever retro look. I like it.