Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

I understand that this upcoming, next-generation Ram 1500 will be the basis of the upcoming, full-sized, BOF Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer SUVs. That's also something to look forward to. Earlier reports stated that the next-generation Ram 1500 pickup would receive an SUV variant, but, this hadn't surfaced in the news for some time. Maybe this could be that the Jeep will get the Wagoneer variant instead, and the idea of the Ram SUV may have been abandoned, as a result?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
That is a MASSIVE improvement over the current Ram. It's looking quite attractive.
You aren't a truck buyer, are you?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
You aren't a truck buyer, are you?
I've owned several. So, yes I am. The current Ram is a caricature and the styling has run its course. This is potentially class leading for style.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Tablet-style center stack spied:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/31/...#slide-7139450
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Is this it? Not too bad - but very much like a facelift.

I'm sure the tech is solid under the skin - so IF this is the real thing, I wish they'd made the differences more distinguishable.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/14/...#slide-7153313
Old 11-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Raconteur

Home run for styling. The Ram was so played out with tired styling that it needed a stylistic break. Pickups are never all new so this is par for the course.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

If this is it, I suppose it's OK and very clean and mature looking, but given it's a Ram, does it need a more bold and tough look?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Here's the thing though. Those renderings show a truck that could've debuted anytime after 2012 or so...I don't see anything "modern" or "new" about it (maybe beyond the tablet screen)...nothing that pushes the envelope beyond making it look more like its competitors' EXISTING models. This vehicle is going to be up against a new Silverado/Sierra and next-gen F-150 well into the 2020s (if FCA survives that long)...given that the current generation debuted as a 2009. And again, given how long the current gen has been on the market, I'm not sure how I'd feel about driving a brand new one of these now, let alone one that will probably look the same in 2023 or 2024...

Last edited by pjl35; 11-15-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
...nothing that pushes the envelope beyond ...
Pickups don't push the envelope when you think about it. They are traditional vehicles sold to very traditional buyers. To them, this Ram will be pushing the envelope massively.

Sure Ford regurgitated metal parts of the F150 into aluminum and called it new, but the aluminum F150 doesn't push the envelope in any way other than type of metal stamped out. Sure, it's lighter but it's still a heavy vehicle. In mileage and performance it's a draw with the competition.

The GM twins were just like this Ram i.e. new styling on an old truck when they debuted. No push there either.

Pickups change incrementally. Ford pushed the envelope of the F150 once and the opinion of the reptilian F150's styling was not kind from traditional pickup owners.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Pickups don't push the envelope when you think about it. They are traditional vehicles sold to very traditional buyers. To them, this Ram will be pushing the envelope massively.

Sure Ford regurgitated metal parts of the F150 into aluminum and called it new, but the aluminum F150 doesn't push the envelope in any way other than type of metal stamped out. Sure, it's lighter but it's still a heavy vehicle. In mileage and performance it's a draw with the competition.

The GM twins were just like this Ram i.e. new styling on an old truck when they debuted. No push there either.

Pickups change incrementally. Ford pushed the envelope of the F150 once and the opinion of the reptilian F150's styling was not kind from traditional pickup owners.
Except that you're saying all this without knowing what the next-gens from Ford and GM will look like, which will REALLY be what this truck competes against, not the current ones on the market.