Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Default 2021 Jaguar XK

There is hope that we will see a new generation Jaguar XK coming our way:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...s-22-gt-return

I couldn't agree more with Ian Callum that Jaguar does need such a car in the luxury segment. A common architecture with the next generation F-Type could satisfy the beancounters in terms of development and production cost.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
There is hope that we will see a new generation Jaguar XK coming our way:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...s-22-gt-return

I couldn't agree more with Ian Callum that Jaguar does need such a car in the luxury segment. A common architecture with the next generation F-Type could satisfy the beancounters in terms of development and production cost.
The F Type is a very slow seller. Doing an even more expensive coupe would likely be even more dismal. What Jaguar needs is a "Corvette" at Corvette prices and that what the F Type should have been in the first place. That positioning would have generated double or triple the sales and would have created the momentum for a new XK. Instead, the F Type WAS the replacement for the XK for all intents and purposes.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The F Type is a very slow seller. Doing an even more expensive coupe would likely be even more dismal.
The main problem of the F-Type is that it is a tad too small feeling for it's price range. lower end models compete rather with a Cayman than a 911, and yet are priced well in between the (rather large) gap that is separating the two Stuttgart models. The higher end models are also a bit too bonkers for the average Jaguar customer.

IMO the XK was better positioned on the market, unlike the F-Type it always seemed like you're getting value for your money compared to say an SL Mercedes. If they manage to adjust F-Type pricing and bring a larger sister car to go against 911,SL or Lexus LC, it should work. After all, IMO all e-Type/XJS/XKs sold reasonably well, even late into their model runs...
Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Raconteur

Even with a base of $60K the F Type is probably $10-15K overpriced.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The main problem of the F-Type is that it is a tad too small feeling for it's price range. lower end models compete rather with a Cayman than a 911, and yet are priced well in between the (rather large) gap that is separating the two Stuttgart models. The higher end models are also a bit too bonkers for the average Jaguar customer.

IMO the XK was better positioned on the market, unlike the F-Type it always seemed like you're getting value for your money compared to say an SL Mercedes. If they manage to adjust F-Type pricing and bring a larger sister car to go against 911,SL or Lexus LC, it should work. After all, IMO all e-Type/XJS/XKs sold reasonably well, even late into their model runs...
Agreed the F-type needed about 3-4 more inches of wheel base to be perfect for the price range. It would be a much more appealing and better priced SL at that point. I think people who are accustomed to how livable a Porsche 911 is would have a hard time justifying the F type as an every day driver, given it's cramped cockpit. However, I'd forgive most packaging shortcomings for that exhaust note.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

This report has made the rounds, and it's hopeful, too. I understand that Ian Callum has begun design-work on this, but the larger 2+2 XK has not yet been approved. It could be based on the next-generation F-Type, but enlarged. Personally, I love larger GT type cars, and I'm rooting for this one to come to life!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
However, I'd forgive most packaging shortcomings for that exhaust note.
Having had the pleasure of driving around in an F-Type V6 SC with the optional exhjaust for an afternoon, I can confirm this is definitely the case ;)

But also I can understand that the typical elderly XK or SL and 91 customers would find it too hard, cramped and loud.