Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Five Vehicles Earn Top Crash Test Honors

From NHTSA - Five stars front and side-impact awarded to Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Tucson, MB ML Class, and Subaru B9 Tribeca.

Details of above, other top scores (in specific category), and poor performers within link below:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/....html

Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 PM
CSS Veteran

The Tucson's reliablity is in question? Consimer reports should stick to refrigerators.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (megadethmartyr)

Yes, they should say what sample size they are basing their opinions (1,5 or 1000?).
Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (knicks125)

i haven't been looking through this section lately, so i only just noticed that CR report...that's odd about hyundai, i must say; i figured the tuscon problems were just first-year issues that would be largely ironed out later on...and that the rest of the lineup is only doing averagely as well, strikes me as odd. ah well, they've still improved alot, CR's ratings just haven't reflected it yet (although i think CR's readers tend to report trivial, niggling problems like rattles in the dashboard as well - that brought the camry's reliability rating down to average in 2002, which is a dismal rating for the camry)
Old 01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

With any survey-based research, it is important to remeber that the question and answer format limits the accuracy and scope of such research.
In addition, the sample size has to be sufficiently large to be representative and relevant. Both J.D. Power and CR provide the total sample size, however they do not provide a breakdown by automaker. Considering that makers such as Toyota and GM have much larger sales volumes, presumably makes the ratings more accurate (bodes well for Toyota/Lexus and not so well for Ford and GM). Further, none of the big surveys provides a definition of how answers are weighted and how attributes are positively or negatively affected. Finally, people who do send back surveys could be considered a biased group (one that likes to fill out surveys or has an excessive need to overcome buyers remorse or has a bone to pick with the carmaker, etc). I suppose once you start doubting there is no end to it...
IMHO, CR is the least reliable survey, due to the fact that CR readers are geographically focused and may already be predisposed by the reviews of CR (positive/negative CR review forms positive/negative impression) to answer one way or another. But then again one can extrapolate this point and apply it to the general public being biased due to media exposure.
I guess it's time for my medication... :P
EDIT: From a global perspective, I consider the What Car survey to be one of the best surveys. The ratings are in part based on actual warranty claims submitted through an extended warranty provider called Warranty Direct. It also provides the average mileage and age for each manufacturer.
I'd welcome to hear comments from any carspyshots members out of the UK in regards to this survey

http://www.whatcar.com/news-sp...17350#

Modified by evomk8 at 7:28 PM 1/24/2006

Modified by evomk8 at 7:29 PM 1/24/2006

Old 01-26-2006, 06:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer earn NHTSA five-star ratings:

http://media.ford.com/article_...trust

Old 01-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Hell, Ford did something right! Good job!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote »
The European New Car Assessment Program (E-NCAP), which is sort of the EU equivalent to our own NHTSA or IIHS, recently tested the European version of the Chevy Aveo and found it to be severely lacking in occupant protection during 64 kmh (40 mph) frontal impacts. The risk is especially great to the driver, as the E-NCAP tests showed the Aveos steering wheel may cause severe chest injury.

The Aveo received two stars and a strike through in the category of Adult Occupant Protection, the strike through indicating there is a high risk for life-threatening injury. It should be noted that crash testing in Europe is done a bit differently than here in the U.S., despite E-NCAP sharing a star rating system with the NHTSA.

The 2006 Chevy Aveo received an exemplary frontal impact rating of 5 stars from the NHTSA, so well be very interested to see if the North American version of the 2007 Chevy Aveo fares as poorly in our own crash tests as it did in the E-NCAP test.

AutoBlog

Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 AM
CSS Veteran

Wow! That was really bad.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM

Top 100 Most Reliable Car from the UK
ReliabilityIndex conducted a test of used reliable vehicles from the past decade and checked out how reliable is the vehicle really?

So here is what they found:

http://www.reliabilityindex.co...48601

The Number one on the list?

The European Honda Accord (The current gen Accord in the UK is sold as the Acura TSX in North America)

Japanese vehicles fared the best as the Top 10 were all Japanese but the European Toyota Corolla almost was last and was beaten out by a few Daewoos, the Neon and Isuzus.