Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2017, 12:12 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I will want all the latest safety features and the reliability and protection of a new car for her
Presumably enough flexibility has been built into the current platforms that the latest safety features (which mainly seem to be electronically based and buid off of older technology, I assume) would be available. As far as reliability goes, Toyota has shown us that sticking w/ and perfecting an old platform can lead to very reliable cars....
Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I can see space for a crossover between the Escape and the EcoSport. Maybe a Focus "Outback"?
There are plenty rumors that such a car will happen, given the sales success of things like the Qashqai in Europe and the fact the Kuga/Escape is already too large and expensive to directly compete (and presumably will grow with the next gen), and the EcoSport too small. The VAG attack in that segment (Seat Ateca, Audi Q2, Golf CUV to be presented in Frankfurt this year) shows that there is a lot of money to be made in that segment, so Ford would be stupid not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
I think that's just a production ready Infiniti.
Very mean but sadly close to truth ;)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:25 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
There are plenty rumors that such a car will happen, given the sales success of things like the Qashqai in Europe and the fact the Kuga/Escape is already too large and expensive to directly compete (and presumably will grow with the next gen), and the EcoSport too small. The VAG attack in that segment (Seat Ateca, Audi Q2, Golf CUV to be presented in Frankfurt this year) shows that there is a lot of money to be made in that segment, so Ford would be stupid not to.
Especially since the Fiesta Active is in existence. No reason to even think Ford won't apply this simple application onto the Focus. Maybe the Focus can also have AWD which might end up on future ST as well as the RS? This might make it more affordable instead of offering it only on the RS.

Either way, though, rumour has it an actual Focus SUV might also be in the works to directly rival the Mazda CX5, Nissan Qashqai as well as Skoda Yeti, Seat Ateca etc. If this will be a 'first world' product or a more budget car like the EcoSport and Ka+ are i have no idea...

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
If this will be a 'first world' product or a more budget car like the EcoSport and Ka+ are i have no idea...
I'm pretty sure this would ne a "first world product". Looking around one can notice that developing market cars are mostly A and B segment. It seems you have either comparably poor customers where every penny counts (and anything C segment or above is anyway too expensive) or you have the rich, who buy rather pricey premium cars as western people, with occasionally even a higher luxury car density than in some western places. again, C or D segment cars with less relevance for them...
Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
To be fair, the problems with the Fiesta weren't with how it drove or looked, but with limited interior room and quality issues derived primarily from the DCT, and the new Fiesta fixes both areas.
Interior space was increased, but only marginally because it rides on what is essentially an updated version of the same platform. Thanks to "slim back seats", it gets 16mm (0.63in) more rear knee room. While this is ok for me, taller drivers and passengers would probably wish it gained more than just that. The Fiesta's wheelbase was only increased by 4mm, but that's most likely due to suspension geometry/modifications.

The Focus test mule on the other hand has a noticeably longer wheelbase, the 2-3 inch extension piece on the rear wheel arch gives us a hint on how much the wheelbase was extended, so hopefully its increase in interior space is more noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Similarly, the new Focus should benefit from Ford's new automatic transmission, which won't crap out every 10,000 miles like the ZF-designed PowerShi(f)t.
If Ford drops the old 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine from the next North American Focus, and replaces it with the 1.5-liter EcoBoost like in the current European and Asian Focus, that means it will get a torque converter automatic.

Last edited by AM2; 01-16-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
...If Ford drops the old 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine from the next North American Focus, and replaces it with the 1.5-liter EcoBoost like in the current European and Asian Focus, that means it will get a torque converter automatic.
On that note, I was pleasantly surprised by the 1.0 Ecoboost automatic I drove. I drove it because I assumed the tiny engine plus the automatic would make it SLOW. Granted, it was no speed demon, but the 1.0 and 6 speed auto (conventional auto) was definitely not terrible.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/201...roduction.html

Finally the production spec body; Like it is the case with the Fiesta, a bit softer, a longer snout, but not abandoning the general theme. Again, as with the Fiesta, it seems the rear lights will be more conventional too. The different positioning of the A pillar in relation to the front axle should indicate a new platform as suspected, though the generally resulting "slightly RWD stance" is probably not of great help in terms of increasing the interior, a common Focus criticism.

We can't see the inside yet, but after the updated EcoSPort and new fiesta I think it is safe to say that Sync 3 (or probably 4 by the time this arrives) will be on a tablet like screen, and a generally slimmer theme to the interior (the dash does quite eat into the cabin in the current gen).
Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Looking quite decent and a nice step forward over the current generation so far.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
...The different positioning of the A pillar in relation to the front axle should indicate a new platform as suspected,...
That was needed for a variety of reasons not the least of which is the fact that the current Focus and the one before it were essentially the same platform and it's served its purpose. Additionally, the demands of providing hybrid and EV choices requires battery space. This could be a truly wonderful product and it's looking good so far.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The different positioning of the A pillar in relation to the front axle should indicate a new platform as suspected, though the generally resulting "slightly RWD stance" is probably not of great help in terms of increasing the interior, a common Focus criticism.
The A pillar does not tell anything about interior space, it only influences the shape of the car. The front door cut line is at the same position (close to the wheel) as any other FWD car. That the A pillar is more upright is another thing, and does not have any negative impact on usable interior space.

That FWD cars have more interior space is a myth. It is true however, that within a given wheelbase, a FWD car will have more interior space.

But if space is such an important factor, what are car manufacturers waiting for to make flat floor BEVs? I know only the Opel Ampera-e and the BMW i3 for now.