Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2019, 09:03 PM

ndjan is on a distinguished road

On my phone, can't post the link, but Engadget has some good photos of the back seat. They're pretty configurable, but if the third row need leg room, it's going to steal it from the second. Good setup if you're carrying a bunch of ten year olds.

Given the exterior dimensions, they should have gone g-class with the styling instead of the gls

EDIT: Added the pictures

Last edited by ndjan; 06-11-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

Would have been cooler with round headlights/taillights, But still it looks good. Will sell tons.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Those rear seats look as useful as in every small to mid sized CUV; Okay to occasionally bring along some neighbor kids, but useless if you really need a 7 seater regularly; There is simply no magic at this size; But having them will be a huge benefit at the dealer ships, given that both BMW and Audi don't have a 7 seat option below their full size SUVs...
Old 06-12-2019, 08:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
both BMW and Audi don't have a 7 seat option below their full size SUVs...
If you consider the X5 on the larger end of mid-sized, it does have an optional 3rd row.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
If you consider the X5 on the larger end of mid-sized, it does have an optional 3rd row.
Well, price wise I wouldn't consider it mid sized anywhere, and size wise definitely no one outside the US would either;

That said, the GLB will compete with the X1, so the X5 is still two categories above it, what ever size a market defines it in...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM

ndjan is on a distinguished road

Some dimensions are on wikipedia:

Length 4,634 mm (182.4 in)
Width 1,834 mm (72.2 in)
Height 1,658 mm (65.3 in)

It's almost exactly the same size as the current three-row Tiguan, and the generation of RAV4 that had 3 rows of seats (although that included the rear tire).

What I'm seeing, however, is better packaging. It sort-of reminds me of the Fiat 500L or the old mazda minivan. The roofline doesn't dip, so head space is consistent. The seats are stadium-style, and the floor is throughout the seating area. This creates a very upright, bus-like seating area in the second and third rows, so I actually think the seats will be more comfortable than the average for this class.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
Some dimensions are on wikipedia:

Length 4,634 mm (182.4 in)
Width 1,834 mm (72.2 in)
Height 1,658 mm (65.3 in)

It's almost exactly the same size as the current three-row Tiguan, and the generation of RAV4 that had 3 rows of seats (although that included the rear tire).

What I'm seeing, however, is better packaging. It sort-of reminds me of the Fiat 500L or the old mazda minivan. The roofline doesn't dip, so head space is consistent. The seats are stadium-style, and the floor is throughout the seating area. This creates a very upright, bus-like seating area in the second and third rows, so I actually think the seats will be more comfortable than the average for this class.
The shape does look more practical than many overly sporty CUVs, but length wise, there is no magic, as can be seen by the hardly existing leg room in the 3rd row; SUre, the 2nd row slides, but even then, it will likely be more for kids, as the 2nd row seems to have decent but hardly ground breaking leg room, as again seen on the pics, so there is just so much you can take away and add to the 3rd row by sliding...
Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
What I'm seeing, however, is better packaging. It sort-of reminds me of the Fiat 500L or the old mazda minivan. The roofline doesn't dip, so head space is consistent.
This is why I think the car will be a success (three-point star aside). Starting price will likely not look too horrific, and the size seems just "right" (at least for the US market).
Old 08-08-2020, 01:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

I saw my first GLB on the street today.

Given its boxy look and judging by the pictures, I thought it was smaller. But it is quite a chunk of a car.

And nice too. I thought i hated it (again, I only had seen it in pictures), but its clean lines and overall restrain makes it relatively handsome. All in all, I like it now. I stand corrected, then.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
\And nice too.
Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised when I've seen it (although I thought it looked good in pics, too). It's surprisingly low to the ground (the floor of the car, that is), which contributes to the appearance.

Interesting that you think it's bigger than it looks. I think the opposite. It looks like a fairly big car on the road but, by US standards, it's on the smaller side. Def has more presence than a similarly sized Tiguan, IMHO.

I'd consider one as a next car, except, at least in the US, it gets very expensive when you add desirable options, and one becomes more picky about the economy-car roots when the MSRP is $45K+....