CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 AM
caarmike caarmike is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,822
Default

I think its fine to stick with Malibu. It's very expensive and difficult to establish a new name in the marketplace. I think its only worth doing when an existing name has serious negatives attached to it, like Citation. Plus, what good new names are out there that haven't already been taken. Chevelle won't work because of all the fanboys out there who are pinning their hopes on that name returning to some mythical affordable RWD car. Those folks will go apoplectic if Chevy brings out an FWD Chevelle. Nova might work but its generally associated with a smaller car, plus it's a "no go" for Spanish speaking markets. I say GM should leverage the name recognition Malibu has to bring out an awesome new Malibu in the next couple years.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 AM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
I think its fine to stick with Malibu. It's very expensive and difficult to establish a new name in the marketplace. I think its only worth doing when an existing name has serious negatives attached to it, like Citation.
Sorry that I'm beating a dead horse, but playing devil's advocate, that doesn't explain the Cobalt --> Cruze. Cobalt didn't have "serious negatives" (at the time, before the ignition mess) and it was gone after one generation. Chevy has seen that name changes, even if expensive and difficult, can pay off.
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost

Last edited by pjl35; 09-05-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2014, 03:25 AM
StevenZoz's Avatar
StevenZoz StevenZoz is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Sorry that I'm beating a dead horse, but playing devil's advocate, that doesn't explain the Cobalt --> Cruze. Cobalt didn't have "serious negatives" (at the time, before the ignition mess) and it was gone after one generation. Chevy has seen that name changes, even if expensive and difficult, can pay off.
yeah but when the cobalt went out, it was not competitive for its class. Chevrolet easily could've changed that with a new generation but I think putting a new name on it only made it more fresh and new.
__________________
stevenzoz on instagram

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive | Previously Drove: 2015 Audi A3 2.0t, 2014 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0t AWD (x2), 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 PM
caarmike caarmike is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,822
Default

I'm not saying name changes are never successful. I'm just saying they are often not worth the investment versus the alternative.

Sure, the Cruze is a success, but is it any more successful than it would have been had they kept the Cobalt name? Did the extra money they put forth to establish the Cruze name really pay off dollar for dollar?

Unlike Cobalt, Malibu is a name with a long and storied history. Should GM throw it away just because some of the recent models weren't so great? I think magic can happen when you attach a name with good past to a well-designed new model that's relevant to its market niche. As examples I present Cherokee and Explorer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-07-2014, 04:30 PM
StevenZoz's Avatar
StevenZoz StevenZoz is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,932
Default

20 years of disappointments is more than just a few models. Also keep in mind that the Cruze became a global vehicle when it was released. The Cobalt was only sold here, and there were other platform mates in other countries beforehand.
__________________
stevenzoz on instagram

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive | Previously Drove: 2015 Audi A3 2.0t, 2014 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0t AWD (x2), 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

Last edited by StevenZoz; 09-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-07-2014, 05:36 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZoz View Post
20 years of disappointments is more than just a few models. Also keep in mind that the Cruze became a global vehicle when it was released. The Cobalt was only sold here, and there were other platform mates in other countries beforehand.
So true about the Cruze. On a side note, now that Chevrolet is history in Europe is the Cruze an Opel?

The Malibu lags in several areas other than style. The eAssist is not really a hybrid and everyone knows it. The competition all have real hybrids and the Fusion goes one step more with the Energi.

Turbocharged 4 cylinder engines are increasingly the norm. GM's rumored 10 speed (I think it was) automatic has potential for the next Malibu.

Making the "Malibu" a world car is problematic given that it's obvious counterpart across the pond is the Insignia which becomes a Buick.

It might be an interesting thing to have the Malibu/Insignia become a world car at a value-segment level and have the Regal be based on it with completely different styling.

With the Commodore et. al. biting the dust in Australia, GM will need a competent sedan replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
On a side note, now that Chevrolet is history in Europe is the Cruze an Opel?
No. The only Chevy to survive is the Spark, and tehre only the upcoming next geenration, as there is no direct competitor in the Opel range (it will replace the Suzuki derived Agila, given that there isn't any stronger GM/Suzuki tie anymore that makes sense). All other Chevys have direct equivalents on the same platform in the Opel range (except the Sonic, which has DNA of it's own, but still is just a Corsa competitor; otherwise Cruze=Astra, Malibu=Insignia, Traxx=Mokka, Captiva=Antara, Orlando=Zafira) without undercutting them significantly, so rebadging any of them wouldn't really make sense in terms of broadening the range.

If at all, the Captiva's 7 seat option is unique to Chevy, it is also the only version to undercut the Opel in pricing to a notable level and thus seems to outsell it's German (well, actually just as South Korean as it is built in the same factory) cousin in Europe, so if it wasn't at the end of it's life cycle anyway, that would be the only model worth considering.....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
No. The only Chevy to survive is the Spark, and tehre only the upcoming next geenration, as there is no direct competitor in the Opel range (it will replace the Suzuki derived Agila, given that there isn't any stronger GM/Suzuki tie anymore that makes sense).
That's kind of odd, because there is a new Agila coming, so there is a direct competitor in Opel's range:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404117...er/lowphotos#5
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 8,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
That's kind of odd, because there is a new Agila coming, so there is a direct competitor in Opel's range:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404117...er/lowphotos#5
The new Agila will be basically a modified Spark, with some detailing (plus front end) adapted to Opel design language. Probably more difference than between the up! triplets, but probably less than between a Peugeot 108 and a Toyota Aygo.

Probably my wording was misleading, the Spark won't survive as Chevy, but it will with an Opel front end, whilst the other models won't.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Probably my wording was misleading, the Spark won't survive as Chevy, but it will with an Opel front end, whilst the other models won't.
Ahhhhh i see what you mean.
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy