Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 01:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

GM is already starting to talk:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...bu-competitive

Says the new Malibu will be a "passionate" design with "groundbreaking technology". I certainly hope so. Personally, I don't understand why they even did this current generation of Malibu. The 2008 model was a breakthrough design that could have lasted a few more years with interior and powertrain tweaks.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to against the wall

wait...the 2008 Malibu is a breakthrough design? That car was the blahest of the blah. It made the Camry look interesting and slacked behind the competition even when it came out. Still selling that car today would be such an old-GM move. Selling an antique would not fly at all in probably the most competitive car segment.

The current one isnt selling well either (hence the earlier than planned MCE), so theyre gonna need to hope the design team isnt exaggerating their feelings on the car. I definitely disagree that the 2008 Malibu should still be selling, but I do agree that they shouldve skipped this generation and maybe had whatever the next-gen is out this year or last. A year from now would have it competing with I'm guessing the Fusion MCE and a new Optima IIRC

No - against the wall

Last edited by against the wall; 12-23-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Oh come on, aside from some odd proportions and very questionable interior color schemes, the Malibu is [how you British say] a perfectly good car. It's like the American comfort food of the midsize class with a really cushy, quiet ride and stress reducing drive experience. It's neat how Germany gets a manual trans to go with it.

Last edited by ElementW; 12-23-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

but that's the problem. a "perfectly good car" isn't good enough when the rivals are besting it at every turn.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to against the wall

perfectly good is only good enough when you have fierce brand loyalists, like people who are on their 5th consecutive Camry or Accord. Chevy has nothing like that thanks to a two decade period of garbage. They need a car to be great at the very least in order to compete.

Look at the Fusion. Previous generation was just okay and couldnt really keep up. Current car is pretty great and sells. Its possible for them to turn it around as long as they can back up what theyre already saying about it.

No - against the wall

Last edited by against the wall; 12-23-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Raconteur

A "perfectly good car" can have the opposite connotation i.e. it's good enough and "perfect" at being class trailing.

It simply isn't as good as a Fusion, Camry, 200, Accord, Sonata, or Optima. It's more like an Altima...good enough but certainly not great.

The fact that the Chrysler 200 and Fusion are so good, the Malibu among "the Big Three" is well off the mark.

What does it need?

1. gorgeous styling
2. attractive interior
3. smooth engines
4. a real hybrid not the fake eAssist hybrid stupidity that does nothing
5. leverage Volt technology for a Malibu hybrid/EV to go against the Fusion Energi
6. reasonable pricing
7. Hyundai warranty
8. Treat customers as if they are driving a Mercedes S Class when they come for servicing
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
A "perfectly good car" can have the opposite connotation i.e. it's good enough and "perfect" at being class trailing.

It simply isn't as good as a Fusion, Camry, 200, Accord, Sonata, or Optima. It's more like an Altima...good enough but certainly not great.

The fact that the Chrysler 200 and Fusion are so good, the Malibu among "the Big Three" is well off the mark.

What does it need?

1. gorgeous styling
2. attractive interior
3. smooth engines
4. a real hybrid not the fake eAssist hybrid stupidity that does nothing
5. leverage Volt technology for a Malibu hybrid/EV to go against the Fusion Energi
6. reasonable pricing
7. Hyundai warranty
8. Treat customers as if they are driving a Mercedes S Class when they come for servicing
I actually think the Malibu is just as good as the Camry...really.

However, I agree with your POV's. Because GM is behind - they REALLY need to over exceed consumer expectations.

Styling is subjective - however, the Fusion, Mazda 6, Optima AND Accord (yes, really - it is a classically handsome car) are universally praised for their good looks. In fact, the 200 is quickly climbing the ranks of public perception for 'good looking' as well. The 'revised' Camry is just plain strange looking to these eyes. In person, I think the new Malibu is heads and tails above the Camry; however in relation to above mentioned 3 cars - the current Malibu is just lost.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

GM needs to blow up its "half a hybrid/twice the price" strategy and sell something that folks can afford with good mpg like the Fusion.

Don't even get me going on the stupid Cruze Diesel idea.....
Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
...Styling is subjective...
1000% agree.

The lights on the Malibu do not line up nicely with the awkward two level grille.

The chrome accent strip that spans the headlights should be lower to mate up with the bottom line of the headlights.

The lower grill would be 1000% better as a simple trapezoid with the big end at the top.

That assumes the dual grill look is desirable in the first place.

It's like with a modicum of attention to detail the Malibu's face could make sense. Doing 4 round Corvette tail lights could be fun.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
1000% agree.

The lights on the Malibu do not line up nicely with the awkward two level grille.

The chrome accent strip that spans the headlights should be lower to mate up with the bottom line of the headlights.

The lower grill would be 1000% better as a simple trapezoid with the big end at the top.

That assumes the dual grill look is desirable in the first place.

It's like with a modicum of attention to detail the Malibu's face could make sense. Doing 4 round Corvette tail lights could be fun.
I actually don't mind the two grill thing; however I don't understand why the much more handsome Impala face isn't more widely used.

I agree that w/ some attention to detail, the Malibu could work visually; or at least, work better.