Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2020 Mercedes Benz S-Class

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/ne...se-first-time/

Time is flying, and with the facelift checked, and a new 7 series, Audi A8 and Lexus LS around, the next S-Class is allready out testing;

Real technical info is still sparse at this time, but we can expect more Hybrid and down sizing, more smei autonomous tech, and I expect a new platform underneath, as the current car still uses a modified platform of the 2005 model;

Visually, despite a lot of camo, we can see there won't be any revolution, and there are traits of the new CLS and new A-Class visible. A bit sad, as up until now, usually the S-class was teh one to bring along an updated Mercedes design language for sedans, but this seems to be more of "another of the current crop"....
Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
A bit sad, as up until now, usually the S-class was teh one to bring along an updated Mercedes design language for sedans, but this seems to be more of "another of the current crop"....
Good point, I guess the CLS and A-Class sedans are the new wave as far as styling is concerned (at least when it comes to the front end).
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 PM
CSS Veteran

So this looks like an elgonated yet boxier version of the current E-Class.... which itself looked a lot like a shorter, more curvaceous version of the current S-Class...

... which means that the new S-Class will be virtually indistinguishable from the current version.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
So this looks like an elgonated yet boxier version of the current E-Class.... which itself looked a lot like a shorter, more curvaceous version of the current S-Class...

... which means that the new S-Class will be virtually indistinguishable from the current version.
I don't see how you're getting to that conclusion, besides the DLO. Yes, DLO looks hardly unchanged (but that's nothing new for Mercedes).

Otherwise, the rear is clearly going to be different from the current crop of sedans, where the taillights don't extend horizontally onto the trunk and this does. Similarly, we can't say ANYTHING about the front end.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:57 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I don't see how you're getting to that conclusion, besides the DLO. Yes, DLO looks hardly unchanged (but that's nothing new for Mercedes).
MBs DLOs and silhouettes actually used to change pretty significantly from one gen to another for a single model (although that was partly b/c they used to take a decade to introduce a new generation). It's really the last 2 generations w/ the S-Class specifically that new and old look very similar. Honestly, had you told me this were a CLS, I wouldn't have doubted you.

I would agree in principal that there's little that can be distinguished about the front and rear ends. However, something as defining as the MB grille is unlikely to get much of a modification since that probably would've been previewed by another model or a concept.

As for the tailights extending into the trunk, I'm not actually sure if the inner most "light" really is actually a light (the exterior-most light, which is similar in shape and size, seems to have clear lighting elements, whereas the inner one does not).

In general, I don't necessarily think flagships needs to change much from one gen to the next stylistically. I just don't know if it's in MBs best interests to make their (way) cheaper sedan look so much like an S-Class. But it doesn't seem to be hurting sales, so....
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 AM
Raconteur

While it's not terrible in any way, I'd have preferred more stylistic advancement. I'd have move to have seen Mercedes go less swoopy and more formal just to buck the trend of all sedans having that coupesedan look.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
However, something as defining as the MB grille is unlikely to get much of a modification since that probably would've been previewed by another model or a concept.
That's my point though...the CLS and A Class grille treatments are likely the previews.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
That's my point though...the CLS and A Class grille treatments are likely the previews.
How do you figure? The CLS and A-Class both have the star in the grille; the little we can see in the spy pics for the S-Class indicates that the new model will still have some form the traditional radiator grille.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
How do you figure? The CLS and A-Class both have the star in the grille; the little we can see in the spy pics for the S-Class indicates that the new model will still have some form the traditional radiator grille.
...shape/position, etc. Placement of the hood ornament/styling within the general grille shape are just details. The C-Class and E-Class that had the star in the grille still used the same exact shape for the more traditional/luxury oriented MB grille.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Placement of the hood ornament/styling within the general grille shape are just details.
Maybe yes, maybe no. The C- and E-Class were presumably designed from the outset to accommodate (from an aesthetic perspective) both the star and traditional radiator grille. So, yes, the two grilles in those models have the same shape.

However, the CLS and A-Class were presumably NOT designed to ever accommodate the traditional grille, and hence the very different grille shape (similar to the SL facelift).

My money's on the S-Class grille shape still looking pretty traditional.

What I'm interested in, though, are the headlights. The little we can see seems to be quite a bit different than the current one?