Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IMO the current gen facelift is better than either of the "brand new" competitors and this will likely serve to increase the lead.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
IMO the current gen facelift is better than either of the "brand new" competitors and this will likely serve to increase the lead.
The A8 might have a lot of electronic gimmickry (a lot of it of questionable use though), but in terms of style, the facelifted S-Class is in another league. And the 7 series is so forgettable IMO, just today I was driving next to one, and gave up deciding whether that is a current generation or the one before. And techwise, also somehow overshadowed. I'd even choose an Equus over it, if for some reasons I wouldn't buy an S-Class in that segment...
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The A8 might have a lot of electronic gimmickry (a lot of it of questionable use though), but in terms of style, the facelifted S-Class is in another league. And the 7 series is so forgettable IMO, just today I was driving next to one, and gave up deciding whether that is a current generation or the one before. And techwise, also somehow overshadowed. I'd even choose an Equus over it, if for some reasons I wouldn't buy an S-Class in that segment...
As long as the A8 sits on an awkward FWD platform it won't have the elegance to compete. It's proportions always make it look cheaper. The 7 series need major rethinking to make it relevant again. as you say, it's totally forgettable
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
I was driving next to one, and gave up deciding whether that is a current generation or the one before.
Which would not be a big deal, had previous generations been class leaders. But since they have not, BMWs insistence on making future 7-Series look exactly like old ones is a rather curious choice.... I also cannot tell the 7-series and 5-Series interior apart, and the 5-Series isn't exactly exceeding class standards.

BTW, you can distinguish the current gen by the ridiculous hockey-stick chrome detailing on the lower side body.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 AM
Raconteur

I honestly think the pecking order is:

Mercedes S Class

if you can't afford that...

Lexus LS and Genesis G90 for value and reliability

or if you want more style...

Lincoln Continental

The ancient-looking 7 Series, the hatchback looking XJ, Maserati "300" and the Audi "Camry" just aren't compelling.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I honestly think the pecking order is:

Mercedes S Class

if you can't afford that...

Lexus LS and Genesis G90 for value and reliability

or if you want more style...

Lincoln Continental

The ancient-looking 7 Series, the hatchback looking XJ, Maserati "300" and the Audi "Camry" just aren't compelling.
7 Series has 'new' V12 with AWD and AWS.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
So?

No one notices it.

If a 7 Series and a Lincoln Continental drove up the the valet, people would remember the Lincoln.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
So?

No one notices it.

If a 7 Series and a Lincoln Continental drove up the the valet, people would remember the Lincoln.
The S Class also would not be noticed, looks like any other Mercedes.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
A luxury car is more than a tech fest (that is why the Audi A8 also leaves me unimpressed, it is less than the sum of it's elements), and that said, the S-Class still offers a V12, so it's not a unique feature, and 4WS is available even on a Renault Megane, so again not THE luxury stand out; And none of this gadgetry can compensate for an anonymous appearance lacking style;

Whilst it is true that Mercedes also tend to look quite alike, it is a top down approach, with the S-Class kind of pulling it of the best, and an C-Class ending up as a "Mini S-Class" as a result; AT BMW, the 3 series pulls of the look the best (together with the 2 series), and the larger cars look like enlarged versions, and the 7 series is just a bloated 3 series as a result; I like smaller BMWs, and quite liked earlier 7 series (I even have a soft spot for the Bangle 7 series, for trying something entirely different and ultimately having a lot of features - the Bangle butt, rotary control, twin screens as instruments and NAV, etc. - that ended up everywhere else), but the last 2 generations just don#t do it for me...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
A luxury car is more than a tech fest (that is why the Audi A8 also leaves me unimpressed, it is less than the sum of it's elements), and that said, the S-Class still offers a V12, so it's not a unique feature, and 4WS is available even on a Renault Megane, so again not THE luxury stand out; And none of this gadgetry can compensate for an anonymous appearance lacking style;

Whilst it is true that Mercedes also tend to look quite alike, it is a top down approach, with the S-Class kind of pulling it of the best, and an C-Class ending up as a "Mini S-Class" as a result; AT BMW, the 3 series pulls of the look the best (together with the 2 series), and the larger cars look like enlarged versions, and the 7 series is just a bloated 3 series as a result; I like smaller BMWs, and quite liked earlier 7 series (I even have a soft spot for the Bangle 7 series, for trying something entirely different and ultimately having a lot of features - the Bangle butt, rotary control, twin screens as instruments and NAV, etc. - that ended up everywhere else), but the last 2 generations just don#t do it for me...
What is special is the inclusion of both V12, AWD and AWS and 4 door. Nor car has that, so that is what makes it special. I am not talking about the other engines/versions. The FF has two doors, not 4 like the 7 Series. The Megane has AWS, but not AWD and only an I4. The S Class has a V12, but no AWD or AWS. I am a BMW design hater and a gimmick hater, but V12, AWD and AWS is not a gimmick, especially in this combination. That the S Class is luxurious is not debatable, but it also has a lot of useless tech and looks anonymous.