Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I reckon some merit in having an all new chassis, new engines, etc and yet putting all that into the exact same body.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I reckon some merit in having an all new chassis, new engines, etc and yet putting all that into the exact same body.
Apparently, the chassis is just an evolution of the previous one (suspension identical, but up front the crash box (elements fixed to the real monocoque are now from alloy, as are the front inner fenders). The name MLB Evo also strongly suggests that...

But even then a slightly different appearance would not have hurt
Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

This is ridiculously embarrassing. Wake up, Audi.

If the new A5 looks anything like this, which spy shots suggest, I'm going to be really bummed.

Last edited by pjl35; 06-29-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 PM

VW really is stuck in a design rut with nearly all their brands. It's like they think the only way to carry forward the DNA, or brand values, of their models is to make the look the same from one generation to the next. The same/similar up and down the range is one thing, and I think it's one reason the German brands are quite successful, but to play it so safe (or boring) across multiple generations really is a poor performance.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Congrats Audi... Your quest of turning the A4 into a complete visual Jetta clone is almost complete.

I remember a time when Audi designs were interesting.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Crazy Composer!

Well… at least the interior is contemporary and nice. BMW and Mercedes aren't so worried about that exterior though…
Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 PM

It looks dated already. The side treatment especially. It's sad that a beautiful interior like that does not have the corresponding exterior to showcase it.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn75 View Post
Not ugly, but an underwhelming and lazy effort all round. And unfortunately, the C- class looks far better, and far more modern and desirable.
I despised the C Class when it came out, but it has grown on me a lot so much so that I now realize that stylistically it obliterates the competition.

VWAG definitely has a lack of sense when it comes to style.

The American Passat isn't ugly, just deadly dull, but the all new Euro Passat shares most of the same cues and doesn't move the excitement meter much more.

The stand still styling at Audi is perplexing. The TT sales were deader than dead suggesting a massive styling shift was in order, but nope new TT identical to old TT.

The A4 in NA has nowhere near the sales volume of the 3 Series or the C Class and this stand still design will ensure that the gap will continue.

If Jaguar and Alfa Romeo promote aggressively and do some sweet leases, they could target the A4 and do serious sales damage.

All someone would have to do is throw the current A4 and the new one into a commercial and note the lack of styling imagination and then suggest Jaguar or Alfa.

Sales made.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:23 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFa View Post
It looks dated already. The side treatment especially. It's sad that a beautiful interior like that does not have the corresponding exterior to showcase it.
The interior is nice, but it's basically a BMW / Mazda interior to these eyes. Nice - but nothing grandiose.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
The interior is nice, but it's basically a BMW / Mazda interior to these eyes. Nice - but nothing grandiose.
I'm really disappointed that they didn't follow the Q7's lead and make that screen pop-up